Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wanderer of Kildre Hill eDKeener's Avatar

This latest issue was really good. And it was sort of a kick in the gut at the same time. Got to see one of my favorite characters back, and it seems to indicate that he won't be returning to the series. Also the last few pages were incredibly touching also. I'm still loving this series, and the latest issue was a standout to me.

Fables has been on fire for the last year or so. It sort of took a dip after 75, and I think the 'Super-Hero' arc after issue 100 was its lowest point (not so much that the concept was bad, it just didn't have a pay off. Frankly the whole resolution to the Mr. Dark stuff never really worked for me). But since Cubs in ToyLand the book's easily as good as its ever been. The latest issue literally made me mist up a bit. Any book that gets me with that kind of emotional response is worth reading.

Now if only Fairest could at least be as good as Jack of Fables was. Cause it sure ain't. You'd think a 'Fables Presents' type title would been a grand idea, but its just all be so dull. And continuity hiccups abound. Next arc Cinderella is back, but its not being written by Chris Roberson. So what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Fables has been on fire for the last year or so. It sort of took a dip after 75, and I think the 'Super-Hero' arc after issue 100 was its lowest point (not so much that the concept was bad, it just didn't have a pay off. Frankly the whole resolution to the Mr. Dark stuff never really worked for me). But since Cubs in ToyLand the book's easily as good as its ever been. The latest issue literally made me mist up a bit. Any book that gets me with that kind of emotional response is worth reading.

Now if only Fairest could at least be as good as Jack of Fables was. Cause it sure ain't. You'd think a 'Fables Presents' type title would been a grand idea, but its just all be so dull. And continuity hiccups abound. Next arc Cinderella is back, but its not being written by Chris Roberson. So what's the point?
    Couldn't agree more. And the Fairest stories are too long and just not that interesting. Even the latest return of Charming just dragged on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post
    There's also been a couple one-shots that are good (the one about Beauty was excellent, as was the one with Snow and Rose's childhood).
    Do you remember which issues these one-shots were in? I'm thinking the Beauty issue you're speaking of is issue #107 (I was thinking you were referring to Beauty from Beauty and the Beast, but this issue involved Briar Rose, aka "Sleeping Beauty").

I was a big fan of the series until after the war was over, but then the series seemed to lose its way. The Fables Crossover killed it for me, and I stopped reading the series after that. I was planning to get back to it, but then I saw the advertisement for the superhero arc, and it just looked like the series had gone completely of the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharak View Post
    I was a big fan of the series until after the war was over, but then the series seemed to lose its way. The Fables Crossover killed it for me, and I stopped reading the series after that. I was planning to get back to it, but then I saw the advertisement for the superhero arc, and it just looked like the series had gone completely of the rails.
    I've heard a lot of people say they dropped the book, or continued to ignore the book, after hearing about the 'super-hero' arc. First of all, Fables regularly plays around with literary convention. And Super-heroes are litterature. So why wouldn't it eventually touch on the idea? And second of all, why would anyone suspect it would actually become the new status quo? Fables is one of the best series at reinventing itself, never sitting still, and never holding a status quo.

Super-Hero arc wasn't the best (it had its moments. I LOVED the Ozma/Pinocchio stuff. But the super-hero angle it never had a payoff.) But as soon as it was over we were into Cubs in Toyland and was back on top.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I've heard a lot of people say they dropped the book, or continued to ignore the book, after hearing about the 'super-hero' arc. First of all, Fables regularly plays around with literary convention. And Super-heroes are litterature. So why wouldn't it eventually touch on the idea? And second of all, why would anyone suspect it would actually become the new status quo? Fables is one of the best series at reinventing itself, never sitting still, and never holding a status quo.

Super-Hero arc wasn't the best (it had its moments. I LOVED the Ozma/Pinocchio stuff. But the super-hero angle it never had a payoff.) But as soon as it was over we were into Cubs in Toyland and was back on top.

Yes, superheroes are literature, but it so inconsistent with the literature motif that usually dominate the fables story

Quote Originally Posted by Asharak View Post
    Yes, superheroes are literature, but it so inconsistent with the literature motif that usually dominate the fables story
    Not really. Hero myth is pretty much at its center.

Fables was always a "good" title. In comparison to some of the issues that DC (and Marvel) produces, even the worst issues of Fables are readable. However, I will agree that the plot kind of went everywhere during the Crossover Arc but got its bearings back with the Witches arc (which I think is one of the best Fables arcs). The superhero arc was so-so but the title once again redeems itself with the Cubs in Toyland arc. Bill Willingham has been killing it lately. I just finished reading #134 and it made me smile and sniffle at the same time. One of the most beautiful stories I've ever read...

Oh god. 134. Definitely in contention for best single issue comic of the year.

Agreed! Great closure on the one hand, and great hope on the other :D
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodseeker View Post
    Fables was always a "good" title. In comparison to some of the issues that DC (and Marvel) produces, even the worst issues of Fables are readable. However, I will agree that the plot kind of went everywhere during the Crossover Arc but got its bearings back with the Witches arc (which I think is one of the best Fables arcs). The superhero arc was so-so but the title once again redeems itself with the Cubs in Toyland arc. Bill Willingham has been killing it lately. I just finished reading #134 and it made me smile and sniffle at the same time. One of the most beautiful stories I've ever read...
    I'm almost finished with the Witches arc. Highly agreed that it's one of the best Fables storylines, I've been enjoying Witches immensely.

It has been confirmed that 150 will be the last issue, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanSK View Post
    It has been confirmed that 150 will be the last issue, right?
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...with-Issue-150
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Cross Is God View Post
    Do you remember which issues these one-shots were in? I'm thinking the Beauty issue you're speaking of is issue #107 (I was thinking you were referring to Beauty from Beauty and the Beast, but this issue involved Briar Rose, aka "Sleeping Beauty").
    Definitely Beauty, Beast's wife. It's #7.. between the 1st arc with Briar Rose and the Snow Queen and the Rapunzel in Japan one.
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)