Default Would DC License Golden Age Material?

An earlier thread about the future of the dormant DC Archives line got my old gray matter working overtime on the subject and also made me reflect on how much I enjoyed following All Star Comics Archives, Golden Age Green Lantern Archives, Comic Cavalcade Archives, ect. For a regular joe like myself who just can't afford to amass a 9.0 - 10 graded run of the above titles (although I have certainly indulged in lower graded runs of some wonderful DC Golden Age mags!), these collections were a godsend. Growing up as a child of seven or eight and reading the JLA-JSA crossovers and the 100 Page Super Spectacular reprints, I had fantasized about DC opening up their vaults on a grand level, so the Archives were my childhood dream come true!

With the advent of the "New 52", it seems as if the days of DC actively recognizing their 1930s-1940s history are officially over. Heck, even Roy Thomas' stupendous Generations Saga over in Infinity only got half of that run reprinted before being unceremoniously ushered out to comic book limbo (by coincidence, this was right around the time of the company wide reboot). My question is this: Would DC ever allow a licensing agreement with a company such as PS Art Books (who are doing a bang up job representing in top quality such titles as the Golden Age Heap, Phantom Lady, and Frankenstein) to finish what they started in their Archive runs? All Star, thank the heavens! - saw it's run presented in entirety, but GL, Flash, were left hanging and other characters who might have endeared a small, loyal buying audience with a print on demand sort of run such as Vigilante, Golden Age Atom, Hourman, ect. barely even got their chance to shine in the appreciation of a whole new generation looking for that special antidote from all of the grim and gritty stuff. Do you think that DC is so single minded that they would rather keep these classic stories from their heyday from ever being given a second life rather than to license to a so-called competitor?

Right now, they'd probably say "No! They must pay us for our new Earth 2 and other current comics instead of diverting their cash elsewhere!"

Give it a while. Somebody will say "Isn't there any place left where we could scratch some more revenue?"

That's what I'm hoping will cause a wider array of All-Star Squadron and Infinity, Inc. to show up in digital release.

Trey Strains The One True Lantern's Avatar

i used to work for a company that did some licensing. yeah, dc will license anything thay can get paid for. i asked the lady in charge of licensing at our company what the price was, and she laughed and said, "hoever much i can get."
    Anyone who accuses you of saying something you didn't say is contemptible.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The One True Lantern View Post
    i used to work for a company that did some licensing. yeah, dc will license anything thay can get paid for. i asked the lady in charge of licensing at our company what the price was, and she laughed and said, "hoever much i can get."
    Was that company DC? If not, that's meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    Was that company DC? If not, that's meaningless.
    yeah, i'm SO SURE that it's done differently at every company.

Something like this, maybe? http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2665/

"Continuing to set the gold standard in comics preservation, IDW Publishing's Library of American Comics, in partnership with DC Entertainment, will release the amazing never-before reprinted adventures of Superman that appeared in the Sunday newspapers for more than twenty-five years. The strips will be releases in in chronological order in three sub-sets: the 1940s Golden Age, the 1950s Atomic Age, and the 1960s Silver Age.

The first volume in the Superman: Golden Age Sundays series will collect 170 sequential Sundays, from May 9, 1943 through August 4, 1946, beginning where the Superman Sunday Classic book by DC Comics and Kitchen Sink Press left off. These World War II-era stories feature work by legendary artists such as Wayne Boring and Jack Burnley.

"We're printing the series in an oversized 9.25" x 12" format," says editor Dean Mullaney, "so that readers can fully enjoy these glorious full-color tabloid Sundays.""

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Something like this, maybe? http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2665/

"Continuing to set the gold standard in comics preservation, IDW Publishing's Library of American Comics, in partnership with DC Entertainment, will release the amazing never-before reprinted adventures of Superman that appeared in the Sunday newspapers for more than twenty-five years. The strips will be releases in in chronological order in three sub-sets: the 1940s Golden Age, the 1950s Atomic Age, and the 1960s Silver Age.

The first volume in the Superman: Golden Age Sundays series will collect 170 sequential Sundays, from May 9, 1943 through August 4, 1946, beginning where the Superman Sunday Classic book by DC Comics and Kitchen Sink Press left off. These World War II-era stories feature work by legendary artists such as Wayne Boring and Jack Burnley.

"We're printing the series in an oversized 9.25" x 12" format," says editor Dean Mullaney, "so that readers can fully enjoy these glorious full-color tabloid Sundays.""
    This is pretty akin to what I had in mind. If the Golden Age Superman material can be licensed by DC, then perhaps there is hope yet for some of their other 1930s-1940s material?

if you contact dc and offer them $100k to put a golden age character's likeness on some merchandise, they'll accept your money.

BANNED

yeah, i'm SO SURE that it's done differently at every company.
    Of course it is. Especially since DC is owned by WB and has been for years pretty much an IP farm. So, no, WB wouldn't want their IP just going around.
    Trying to play smart by saying dumb things makes you look bad.

BANNED

DC has licensed their comic strips to Kitchen Sink Press in the past and has an even larger deal with IDW for them right now. If the newspaper strips sell well for IDW, don't be shocked to see them approach DC about reprinting and continuing the DC Archives. They'd be the best company for this. DC wants the material out there. They just don't want to spend their time and money on the project. Licensed by IDW is the best way we'd be able to get these. For now.
    Last edited by MichaelPaytonMZ; 09-20-2013 at 07:27 PM.