Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Sep 16, 2013

Tim reads "Forever Evil" #1 and "Infinity" #2 and has some deep thoughts: When is the Deathstorm and Friends comic coming out? What does Black Bolt sound like? And can we just ignore Ex Nihilo?

Full article here.

Fun piece, Tim, but I must speak up for Dan Jurgens' Firestorm, it was great fun, far better than the early New 52 issues.

And are you sure one of Darkseid's servants was a Firestorm clone? That doesn't jibe with my memory.
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

What a horrible read. Now I know to stay away from reviews from this guy

Such a great review of Infinity, you sum up a lot of my problems with Hickman's pretentious writing style.

Deathstorm is a rebooted version of Blackest Night and Brightest Day's evil Firestorm. Same name and everything,

Wow, a professional troll! Neat! Wait, is that Bob Harras writing this column? And using a fake name? Tsk tsk. Shouldn't you be out firing someone?

The five Servants of Darkness were shadow clones of Superman, Orion and Kalibak (New Gods), Lydea Mallor (L.E.G.I.O.N.), and one of the Guardians of the Universe. Timothy Callahan is factually incorrect, as usual.

I thought his critique of the first issues of Infinity was spot on -- one issue of tedious set-up, one issue of not-as-tedious set-up. Ex Nihilo is a mediocre character -- lots of power, little depth -- and Hickman's storylines in Avengers to date have been less about the team then setting up a cosmic story that incidentally will have these Marvel heroes.

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

I totally agree with your opinion on Forever Evil #1. It's not great fiction by any standard — but it is incredible fun. There is a sense of gravitas, there is a coming together of all these great villains, it's a nice set up for what should be an enjoyable ride… basically a solid attempt at capture the spirit and energy of those old Superfriends cartoons without being as goofy or ridiculous. (Unless, of course, Gleek shows up as the anti-Grodd.)

Oh man, I misremembered a detail about a comic book from 25 years ago AND I have opinions.

I am so sorry. I hope that you can open your heart and someday, maybe not now but someday, forgive me. I am crushed by the thought that I have made a tiny error and have thoughts different from yours.
    Timothy Callahan
    CBR Staff Writer

Reviews -- My CBR Reviews/Articles
    GeniusboyFiremelon -- My Blog

It was THIRTY-ONE years ago. Another factual error from Timothy Callahan. Sigh.
    Timothy Callahan
    CBR Staff Writer

Reviews -- My CBR Reviews/Articles
    GeniusboyFiremelon -- My Blog

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    I totally agree with your opinion on Forever Evil #1. It's not great fiction by any standard — but it is incredible fun. There is a sense of gravitas, there is a coming together of all these great villains, it's a nice set up for what should be an enjoyable ride… basically a solid attempt at capture the spirit and energy of those old Superfriends cartoons without being as goofy or ridiculous. (Unless, of course, Gleek shows up as the anti-Grodd.)
    I think the Forever Evil criticism was mostly directed at the art. Johns writes bombastic superhero blockbusters that are self-aware and ridiculous (ie. Ultraman snorting Kryptonite), but Finch's art makes it look like it's trying to be grim serious business, like a 90s Image comic.

And the Infinity criticism was 100% dead on too. I can't wait to be done with Hickman's nonsense and move on to the Inhumans.