Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: Will You Be Interested In "Batwoman" Once J.H. Williams & W. Haden Blackman Exi

Will You Be Interested In "Batwoman" Once J.H. Williams & W. Haden Blackman Exit the Series?

Will you be interested in "Batwoman" once J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman exit the DC Comics series after the release of Issue 26?

Vote on the poll here.

I voted "no". But I'd really rather have a third option, specifically, "It depends on the new creative team." I'd still say "no" is more likely than "yes" because the whole inability of so many DC editors to work smoothly with their creators annoys me, but I can't say for sure.
    Currently reading far too many comics to list (mostly DC/Vertigo), despite the best hope of my parents that I'd outgrow comics by the time I turned 50.

Depends on who's on it. I do like the character and the world they've set up, so, in all honesty, I'm sure I'd still enjoy a reasonable facsimile. But it's so tied to their creative team, and so ... above? ... the level of most of DC's output, I have trouble imagining many new teams who could carry its best aspects onward respectably. And anything less would just feel like a kick in the teeth.

Unless its given to a writer I absolutely hate, I'll give the next creative a chance.

Right now when I read the book I frequently find individual issues underwhelming and hope they read better in collection when the story is done. I think I'm okay with a change in direction.

My interest in Batwoman has waned dramatically over the last few issues. They'd need to get a jaw droppingly remarkable team on this to convince me to keep getting it after issue 26 (which I'll keep reading up to, but only out of a sense of obligation).

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    I voted "no". But I'd really rather have a third option, specifically, "It depends on the new creative team." I'd still say "no" is more likely than "yes" because the whole inability of so many DC editors to work smoothly with their creators annoys me, but I can't say for sure.
    Surely that would be most people's answer if it was option, right?

I ain't happy about the situation but Kate's still a great character and in the right hands, there's no reason that she can't continue to be.

Or they could give the book to Nocenti...

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

NOPE.
    Fuck you, DC Comics.
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Only if...

a. A good creative team is on board, preferably Williams and Blackman
    b. Batwoman gets married.

The first one is pretty obvious, but if Batwoman doesn't get married at any point, then I'm not buying it.

If we can't get Williams and Blackman on board, then Azzarello would be ideal. He'd excel them in every regard, writing wise.
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    . . . but if Batwoman doesn't get married at any point, then I'm not buying it.
    I haven't been following the book, but why is having her married such a big deal?

Are other DC characters getting married left and right?

Is it possible that a character getting married was what DC said "no" to, rather than who it was they'd be marrying?

Are they going to suddenly decree that Kate Kane must be a heterosexual again or something?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Where's the option for, "I already dropped this boring ass comic months ago"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    If we can't get Williams and Blackman on board, then Azzarello would be ideal. He'd excel them in every regard, writing wise.
    Is the Azzarello currently writing Wonder Woman a different guy than the one who wrote the awful, shock-value-dependent, casually misogynistic Joker graphic novel a few years back?

Because if not, no way.

Is it possible that a character getting married was what DC said "no" to, rather than who it was they'd be marrying?
    This seems to be the case, but it hardly makes things better. DC editors let Williams and Blackman establish a status-quo-free book over two years. Then apparently changed their mind late-game because superhero comics.

It will depends on what they do with the book. I haven't been reading Batwoman because I don't like the artwork; I also think the DEO angle is a bit too bizarre. I don't have any particular issues with the marriage aspect; Someone on another thread commented on how bad marriage was for bat characters, but I'm not sure why they CAN'T be married.

Bat-Rookie CarolinaBatmanFanGuy's Avatar

No, but that's only because I wasn't interested to begin with. If I was reading it and enjoyed it however I'd probably give it a few more issues past their departure to judge how the replacements do.

From what I've read I liked the old Batwoman more than the new one. Not that I have any issue with a lesbian lead characters, but the old relationship with Bruce read very interesting to me.

However if they did shortly cancel the series I would probably pull the trigger and slowly grab all the back issues just so I can have a little more of the Bat-Family lore.

If Batman didn't star in a million of his own ongoing series I probably would read more Batgirl, Batwoman, Nightwing, etc. Just too much Batman to focus on the rest of the family if I'm wanting to grab everything batman.

Edit: Oh yeah, but it doesn't bode well that the guys are having to leave because of creative differences/freedom to do what they want to do with a character. Unless the product they're putting out sucks that tells me it's probably going to go downhill if DC is wanting to decide what direction to take the character as opposed to the writers.
    Last edited by CarolinaBatmanFanGuy; 09-05-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: One more opinion

I don't really apply. I wasn't massively interested before, and I'm not really that interested now either.

Nothing Batman related has really appealed to me at all since the New 52 started outside of Jason Todd now that Damian's gone.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-05-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I haven't been following the book, but why is having her married such a big deal?

It's not a big deal that she gets married. The big deal is that editorial was fine with it until now, last-minute, when so much has been building up to it and we're already a good way there (they got engaged back in #18, I believe).

As for the second point, yes, it seems so. DC looks to be pretty anti-marriage right now.

As for whether I'll keep reading the book, I'll give it a shot unless it's a team I absolutely hate (is McCarthy staying? That might be a plus.).