Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Default Earth 2 #15.1 "Dessad" Discussion/Spoilers

I didn't see a thread for this so I figured I'd start one.

I liked it. I'll post more later to avoid spoilers in the preview, but I was not a fan of Dessad until this. The guy is creepy scary all of the sudden.

You know, I actually kinda dug it. It was a lot better than I was expecting. I think this was one that the preview didn't give justice.
    "Bruce, you have the creepiest smile!"

Quote Originally Posted by RKitch View Post
    You know, I actually kinda dug it. It was a lot better than I was expecting. I think this was one that the preview didn't give justice.
    I am a little worried about it "Jumping the Shark" though. If they make the "writer" a way to break down the third wall, it isn't going to work very well. Besides, "Deadpool Kills..." has been beating that storyline to death with crowbar. Wakka Wakka.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    I am a little worried about it "Jumping the Shark" though. If they make the "writer" a way to break down the third wall, it isn't going to work very well. Besides, "Deadpool Kills..." has been beating that storyline to death with crowbar. Wakka Wakka.
    Anything with Deadpool beats that concept to death and then blows it up in a warehouse. I know I just picked it up because I'm going completionist for a lot of these series and I was expecting something awful from what everyone was talking about. However, I think this could set up something that will lead to the inevitable Earth Prime/2 crossover.
    "Bruce, you have the creepiest smile!"

It was a bit confusing to me since i'm not a regular reader of Worlds finest or Earth 2.

Cover implies that its supposed to be follow up to WF, but last page directs to Earth 2 #16. There is also whole "year ago he tried to steal Holts technology but it was gone" then "a year ago he built that radioactive guy that showed up in WF".

I also didn't understand Afghan thing, he senses stepenwolf on Earth? Isn't he on Earth 2?
    lots of dots

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It was a bit confusing to me since i'm not a regular reader of Worlds finest or Earth 2.

Cover implies that its supposed to be follow up to WF, but last page directs to Earth 2 #16. There is also whole "year ago he tried to steal Holts technology but it was gone" then "a year ago he built that radioactive guy that showed up in WF".

I also didn't understand Afghan thing, he senses stepenwolf on Earth? Isn't he on Earth 2?
    Desaad is on Earth-2. My cover said Earth 2 on it. But he is clearly aware of the other Earths and is apparently responsible for a lot of the storyline. Desaad was responsible for the monster in WF but someone else (maybe Terry Sloane) stole Holt's equipment before he could get there. Since Holt ended up on Earth 2 it's likely that his equipment did too.

Really for an Earth 2 reader it was interesting, but it runs the risk of becoming just another story in a book that already has too many balls in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Desaad is on Earth-2. My cover said Earth 2 on it. But he is clearly aware of the other Earths and is apparently responsible for a lot of the storyline. Desaad was responsible for the monster in WF but someone else (maybe Terry Sloane) stole Holt's equipment before he could get there. Since Holt ended up on Earth 2 it's likely that his equipment did too.

Really for an Earth 2 reader it was interesting, but it runs the risk of becoming just another story in a book that already has too many balls in the air.
    Incorrect. Desaad's on Earth 1, Holt is currently on Earth 2. Since I didn't read the opening Justice League story, I can't say if Desaad started out there on Earth 1, but this entire issue takes place on Earth 1, or whatever you call it. The issue directs to Earth 2 so you can find out what happened to Holt.

IMO, this issue was misnamed, (none of it happens on Earth 2), and a waste of time, (it tells you little to nothing of any use about Desaad that wasn't already apparent from Worlds' Finest. He's still just a generic monster, not the individual horror he was before the reboot. He's got powers, which are detailed here, but most of which have already been shown. He's boring. And not scary.

A waste of time IMO.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

BANNED

So can someone explain to me why Jack Kirby appeared here?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    No, that's not what he meant. He meant the general in Afghanistan had qualities that he recognised as being in Steppenwolf too. He was just comparing them, and it was in a negative way.
    Yeah, weird issue, particularly with that whole thing with the comic book artist.
    "Batman is this force that appears out of nowhere behind a guy or all the sudden comes through the window like a man-sized brick and the note attached is a serious ass-whooping"

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Why use the image of Kirby? No idea; but the character is just shown as being an incorruptible human.
    I know things,
    SECRET things.
    I might post about such things sometimes,
    but I doubt it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    Why use the image of Kirby? No idea; but the character is just shown as being an incorruptible human.
    I know it probably was an homage for his birthday, is just that it was so... random.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    A tribute I guess. Out of place IMO with the rest of the book, but that's a minor quibble.
    Try my Blog!

Okay, so I get now that Desaad started out on Earth 2, but it was so elliptically placed in the book that it took me a while to figure out.

And it depended on your having read and remembered Worlds' Finest #1, and the ladies' arrival scene. Desaad was the figure they chased through the boom tube on Earth 2. As witnessed by the fact that he either arrived on Earth 1 at the same place in a slightly different time, or at a similar place meant to evoke the other arrival scene.

Why the ladies had no idea who he was if he played a role in the invasion of Earth 2 I can't say.
    Try my Blog!

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Ugh, Levitz did that thing again where the bad guy just lets their victim go for no reason. He did this before when he had Power Girl and just... let her go and the excuse being 'oh, she will be much more tasty when I feed off her later' as the excuse. And the same thing happened at the end of this issue... really not sure what to make of this one. It really... didn't add much that we didn't already know. And it kept on bouncing around between him being stranded to his current plans. We have known for ages that he was after the technology to make Boom Tubes. So, was it really necessary to show it again? I know the added piece of info is the tunneler missing but the rest was just repetition.

Might have been much more better if they actually stuck in a coherent timeframe. Namely showing Desaad leading Darkseid's invasion, how he got trapped and ending it off with the Boom Tube generator nearing completion. That might have been better then this jump from past to present and Desaad going "I'm feeding off you! Delicious!" That's just my opinion though.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    Okay, so I get now that Desaad started out on Earth 2, but it was so elliptically placed in the book that it took me a while to figure out.

And it depended on your having read and remembered Worlds' Finest #1, and the ladies' arrival scene. Desaad was the figure they chased through the boom tube on Earth 2. As witnessed by the fact that he either arrived on Earth 1 at the same place in a slightly different time, or at a similar place meant to evoke the other arrival scene.

Why the ladies had no idea who he was if he played a role in the invasion of Earth 2 I can't say.
    Yeah, I'm starting to end up as confused as you, but I think you're right. Desaad was the other figure the Worlds' Finest ladies saw in the "event horizon". So he came to Earth Prime with them at the point of Darkseid's defeat on Earth-2 (one year after the defeat on Earth-Prime). It was a little jumbled but as far as taking another "god" and making him a character instead of an entity it fulfilled it's purpose. Way more interesting than Darkseid #1