Default Brand new to comics

As the title states, I am brand new to comics. The 2 series I have read so far is "The Walking Dead" (typical right?) up until the latest issue, and all of "Girls".
    I'm not so much into the superheroes, though I do plan on getting to them eventually. So for my questions;

Where do you find out what brand new comic series are coming out? Like, how did people find out Image was going to make "The Walking Dead" so people can anticipate its release? I would really love to get into brand new comics, even if you know of some that are about to come out, but would also love to know HOW to find out.

Can anyone recommend some great comics with the dark, nihilistic, feel that TWD and Girls have? It would be great for apoc style, but it most definitely doesn't have to be. (even superhero comics that are like this would be amazing!)

Thanks to everyone in advanced for the help!

Similar to the Walking Dead? Hmmm...that's a tough one.

I'm liking right now Clive Barker's Next Testament. It's only three issues on now, with the fourth due tomorrow. It's not about zombies, but about what if God wasn't the nice guy we assumed...and what if he came back and found us wanting? It's been brilliant so far.

You might like Sheltered. It, again, is a new series on it's second issue about a clan of survivalists who are prepared for every possibility...save an attack from their own disenfranchised children. Really good so far.

Revival is another title you might like. It's a little town where people don't stay dead when you kill them...but it's something other than zombies. Really good so far. It's on it's 13th or so issue now. :D
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Thank you, they all sound amazing!! I will most definitely give them all a read!

For where to find out about new comics, reading forums like this or browsing the previews can help. http://www.comicbookresources.com/previews

I'll say give Invincible a try, by Walking Dead's Robert Kirkman, it's terrific. If you're interested in trying a superhero book, that one makes sense to try.

As for dark comics in general, hmm that is a toughie, most of my favs have some humor in the mix. Including manga, Blade of the Immortal for example is a very well done serious book. 2000AD's Judge Dredd is definitely nihilistic, and one of the best comics around. America for example is one Dredd graphic novel I recommend picking up.

Also if you dig Revival, Hack/Slash by that author is another great series you might like. It does have humor and quirkiness, but also a gripping story that can be dark at times. Available in five omnibus books.

And to throw one book you might not expect on there, the collection Cobra: The Last Laugh is an incredibly well done modern noir story, very dark stuff, an instant classic.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 08-27-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    DROKK IT!!

Thank you as well, I'll check those out, too! I wouldn't mind humor in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by surlistyc View Post
    Thank you, they all sound amazing!! I will most definitely give them all a read!
    Try Locke and Key! Best horror on the stands IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Broome View Post
    Try Locke and Key! Best horror on the stands IMO.
    I keep forgetting about that one. I never hopped on myself, but I've heard nothing but good thing about it.

I really enjoyed 'Lot 13' from DC last year too. It's a so/so story...but that art. I could stare at those pages for hours, just taking in every grisly detail.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

If you're interested in dark, apocalyptic/horror stuff, two manga titles by Junji Ito are coming back into print.
    'Gyo' and 'Uzumaki'. They're both exceptionally good, have a really strong slow-build to them, and make for great horror/apocalyptic reading.
    I give 'Uzumaki' the edge, because it's got a touch of 'cosmic horror' to it, much like Lovecraft or Clark Ashton Smith, while 'Gyo' has more of a John Wyndham (Day of the Triffids) kind of feel.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I keep forgetting about that one. I never hopped on myself, but I've heard nothing but good thing about it.

I really enjoyed 'Lot 13' from DC last year too. It's a so/so story...but that art. I could stare at those pages for hours, just taking in every grisly detail.
    I am a huge Glenn Fabry fan and Lot 13 is really his best work ever. Like you say it's so good you just stare at it. Locke and Key has the whole package, you should really check it out if you're a horror buff.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post

I'll say give Invincible a try, by Walking Dead's Robert Kirkman, it's terrific. If you're interested in trying a superhero book, that one makes sense to try.
    Now that Irredeemable and Incorruptible are done Invincible is the only superhero series I really read although this recent discovery of art by J. Opena has me picking up his work. Invincible moves fast, has memorable believable characters, great clean artwork, consistent coloring.

Let me also add Jupiter Legacy to the OP's request. It's not only great, it's a NEW series, so they're not far behind on the story line.
    Last edited by Steve Broome; 08-27-2013 at 06:19 PM.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Ennis and Burrows - Crossed
    Charles Forsman's - TEOTFW
    Sally - Sammy The Mouse
    Johnston and Mitten - Wasteland
    Umezu - The Drifting Classroom
    Graham, Roy, Milonogiannis - Prohpet
    Kindt - MIND MGMT
    Hickman and Dragotta - East of West
    Seeley and Norton - Revival
    Brubaker and Phillips - Fatale
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 08-27-2013 at 07:56 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Check out Wasteland, Deadworld, Jericho, Jeremiah, and there's one or two translated comics I can't quite name right now that are really good. One had elves with a hot air balloon.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

You might also enjoy some of the 2000AD stuff.
    Straight horror stuff includes things like 'Absalom: Ghosts of London' and 'Cradlegrave', but you might dig 'Slaine' or 'Nemesis the Warlock', too.
    Plus, lots of half-comedic/half-cynical stuff in 'Judge Dredd'.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Wow! Thank you everybody for the suggestions, I've looked into a lot of them so far, and it seems like I have a ton of reading to catch up on. Luckily my friend had a couple issues from Revival and that already seems amazing and I've preordered the next issue! and plan on going to the lcs to shop around today
    I also heard a little about "pretty deadly" Now I'm not much into westerns, but the art looked incredible! I might preorder that one as well (at least 1 or 2 issues to check it out)
    Again, thanks guys. I think this is a great start for me to get into the comic world.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

There is a new series called Watson and Holmes that re-imagines the sleuthing duo as two black men in modern day Harlem. It has beautiful artwork and is very intriguing so far.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/