Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Character ages?

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Dick never seems to have fallen out of touch with Bruce and as Nightwing just continued operating in Gotham. Jason on the other hand only has his time as Robin to connect with Bruce and Alfred. So yeah he was definitey stated to have been Robin for two years, the others not so much.
    Well I thought Jason was the only Robin that lived at the mansion until Damian. So he didn't need to be Robin longer if that was the case maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammar View Post
    How old are the new 52 characters? I'm talking about the JL, JLA, JLD, Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin, Red Robin, Red Hood, etc... Can you tell me how old are the characters you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMIRACLE View Post
    Old enough vote, too young to retire, and leave it at that. Paying too much attention to that sort of thing is what got us all these Crises in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammar View Post
    Well, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the most confusing one is Batman.
    I mean, he became Batman when he was what? 22? Let's leave it to that.
    He met Dick around two years into his career. So he's 24. Dick was 9 at the time and he became Nightwing at 18. So that means when Dick became Nightwing, Batman was 33. I think he met Jason roughly a month after that so still 33. Jason died a few months into his career so still no difference. I would say Batman was left Robinless for about 3 years so he's 36. That's when Tim came. Time served two years (Just a guess) and then became Red Robin. So that's 38. Damian became Robin at 9 and now he's 11 so Bruce is 40 right now. Maybe Flashpoint altered somethings here or there idk. Also, I haven't been reading comics for a lot of time (Just a few months), so correct me IF i'M WRONG.
    Batman #23 gives Bruce's age as 24 during what is presumed to be the last stage of his training (he tells Damian he had six teachers and I think we've seen six by now) he arrived in Gotham 6 and a half years ago. so he should be about 31. Dick became Robin at 16 about 5 years ago. Same for Barbara/Batgirl. Jason became Robin a year later. and Tim two years after that. Damian's age is definitely given as 11, 10 when he first meets Bruce.
    sigh...and the seeds of the next reboot are planted.

It was mentioned in an early issue of Catwoman that she is only 23 too.

I remember in an interview that Green Arrow is only 24. I'd prefer him to be somewhat older.

The protection of the universe is in the hands of youngsters these days.

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post

I remember in an interview that Green Arrow is only 24. I'd prefer him to be somewhat older.

This makes her relationship with Batman even more uncomfortable than it already was.

Superman is 75, Batman is 74 and Robin is 73. Because they are not real.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Morrison
    Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Eh, nothing wrong with age as a character detail, though. Bart Simpson is supposed to be 10 years old and it puts a lot of his world into context.

Far as I know, the only confirmed ages are Superman at 22/27, and Wonder Woman at 23 in her book.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

Batman: 27-31 (don't think his legion of writers is in complete agreement here, 27 has been mentioned as his age somewhere but the flashbacks to his training in Zero Year which in turn takes place 6 1/2 years ago neccistate him being older)
    Wonder Woman: 23
    Cyborg: 22
    Batgirl: 22-21
    Nightwing: 21
    Red Hood: 20
    Arsenal: 19 (I think, his writers just like to draw him young)
    Red Robin: 17
    Robin: 11 (when he died)
    Superboy: 1
    The ages for Batman and Robin can't both be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Superman is 75, Batman is 74 and Robin is 73. Because they are not real.
    What's being asked is how old they are within the story, so your answer is not responsive or helpful. By your standard, if I wrote a story today about a ten year old, and somebody asked you this question tomorrow, your response would be that the character is a day old, and would be wrong, wrong, wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Also, I believe the current "New 52" theory is that Damian was accelerated in a pod and the incident of his conception took place sometime around "Zero Year", 6 or 7 years ago, and then his training began. They refined the process and that is why Heretic needed to gestate inside a blue whale, to get to that size by the time of his birth.
    Then he died when not quite 7, and was never ages 9, 10, or 11, unless the process actually involved the manipulation of time.

Bruce and Clark are both 27/28. This explains all Batman continuity in the New 52 and how it works:

http://www.therealbatmanchronologyproject.com/the-dcnu/

Bruce left to train at 18. Damian's aging was accelerated in the gestation pod. He is 10. Each of the Robins served for only a year at most. Dick was Batman for about a year
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 12-31-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile Kangaroo View Post
    This makes her relationship with Batman even more uncomfortable than it already was.
    Writers seem to be weirdly uncomfortable about Catwoman's age, both in the Post Crisis and Post Flashpoint continuity. Mindy Newel in "Her Sister's Keeper" and Ed Brubaker in the "Catwoman Secret Files and Origins" both explicitly stated that she would have to be around 16/17 during "Year One" which mean she was a child in her prostitute/dominatrix days. But no one really wants to see her as a child. Similarly her "Zero Year" tie in also ignored that she would be in her mid to late adolescents at the time in favor of some vague inexperienced young adult age grouping.
    Last edited by LostinFandom; 12-31-2013 at 11:32 AM.

BANNED

I don't know why I pay so much attention considering their ages won't really change anyhow.

Superman: 27
    Batman: 32(Finally confirmed in ZY)
    Aquaman: 27
    Hal Jordan: 31
    Barry Allen: 27
    Martian Manhunter: 100+
    Cyborg: 24
    Green Arrow: 29(formerly 24 under Nocenti)
    Nightwing: 21
    Batgirl: 21
    Jason Todd: 20
    Roy Harper: 21
    Starfire: 21
    Tim Drake: 17
    Wonder Woman: 23

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Bruce and Clark are both 27/28. This explains all Batman continuity in the New 52 and how it works:

http://www.therealbatmanchronologyproject.com/the-dcnu/

Bruce left to train at 18. Damian's aging was accelerated in the gestation pod. He is 10. Each of the Robins served for only a year at most. Dick was Batman for about a year
    This information is outdated. Bruce has said that he's older than Clark. According to Zero Year's timeline of events, Bruce is 32 current day and Superman is 27 according to Morrison's run in Action Comics.

BANNED

Nocenti's Green Arrow has been retconned, as was Winick's story in issue #0.

Previous version stated Green Arrow was 19 when marooned on the island for a few months. He returned and became Green Arrow about five years ago. That would make him 24 in Nocenti's run.

Lemire's current run has retconned the events. Oliver was 19 when he was marooned on the island. He references that in the current story, that he was basically just a kid when it happened. The big difference is that under Lemire, Oliver was on the island for three years. this means he was almost 22 when he returned from the island six years ago, during Zero Year. He was 28 when the New 52 started and is about 29 now.