Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: What Do You Think of Ben Affleck As the Dark Knight in the Upcoming "Superman/B

What Do You Think of Ben Affleck As the Dark Knight in the Upcoming "Superman/Batman" Film?

What do you think of the news that Ben Affleck is returning to the world of big-screen superheroes as the Dark Knight in Warner Bros. upcoming "Superman/Batman" film?

Vote on the poll here.

Rebel

I don't think any of these things. I think Affleck has perfectly good enough acting chops for the role, BUT his casting is a stunt casting, to save a movie that's doomed in principle by being a sequel to the clueless failfest that's Man of Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by lalo View Post
    I don't think any of these things. I think Affleck has perfectly good enough acting chops for the role, BUT his casting is a stunt casting, to save a movie that's doomed in principle by being a sequel to the clueless failfest that's Man of Steel.
    Amen.

I think Affleck is great, but unless this new Batman is going to be the affable Batman from, say, the animated Brave & the Bold, Affleck's not quite right (i.e., he doesn't do serious, intense guys well [e.g., DD]).
    Z O M B E E the S N O W M A N is on FunnyorDie.com
    Please check it out (& click FUNNY!! ;) )
    Yes, a zombie snowman!

Good grief what a crappy poll.

Well said.
    Picture Maker // website // tumblr

Stunt casting? He's not a hot star right now. My sixteen year old neice asked me who Ben Affleck is. I'm thinking that's why he's taking the role. To get people talking about him again.

I agree with the right script and direction Ben Affleck has got the acting chops for the role. I think the wait and see option is the most logical and rational one. That's what I went with, the wait and see option. There's no way to know he's right or wrong for the role until we can see at least a trailer or a preview scene and that's a long way off.
    Last edited by Zevad; 08-24-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Stetsons are cool!~The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Zevad View Post
    Stunt casting? He's not a hot star right now. My sixteen year old neice asked me who Ben Affleck is.
    What does that prove? The last non-R rated film Affleck starred in was released in 2009 when your niece was 11. Who is or isn't considered a "hot star" to an 11-16 year old is utterly inconsequential; a studio is going to have a different understanding of who is famous and bankable, and the kind of person they want to foster a relationship with.

18-35 is the prime range for marketing and media consumption, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone in that age range who doesn't know who Ben Affleck is.
    Last edited by Tar22; 08-24-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Picture Maker // website // tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Keith! View Post
    Amen.

I think Affleck is great, but unless this new Batman is going to be the affable Batman from, say, the animated Brave & the Bold, Affleck's not quite right (i.e., he doesn't do serious, intense guys well [e.g., DD]).
    Watch Argo.
    Stetsons are cool!~The Doctor

I voted 2 it's a bad idea on every level.

1. Ben Affleck is not right for the part, he's not an action hero we saw this from 1998-2004 when he made action films. Some people are pissing and moaning about how Argo or The Town are great films and he's clearly gotten better. Their is a very big difference between Argo and Pearl Harbor and The Town and Armageddon.

2. It takes Ben Affleck away from the areas where he is good at...writing and making films. This is taking one of the few men to really come along and make provocative enjoyable films, and saddles him with a massive franchise from a questionable writer/director.

3. Socially, it pisses off a massive amount of the comic fandom what I've seen from this announcement are the two very base emotions...anger and contempt. One segment that is furious over this half thought out idea and debasement of a franchise (that wasn't terrible) and the other group acting high and mighty. What you are angry about this little movie their are horrible things going on in the world and you live in your parents basement...while commenting on the internet.

2007 Mutant League Champion

Dark Knight Rises wasn't a very good movie, but ben affleck is the end of time.

In my opinion Man of Steel was far from a "failfest". Ofcourse it was not the perfect movie but I felt it was a solid start to the new Superman franchise. I also believe it left potential for an even greater sequel despite it's flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    I voted 2 it's a bad idea on every level.

1. Ben Affleck is not right for the part, he's not an action hero we saw this from 1998-2004 when he made action films. Some people are pissing and moaning about how Argo or The Town are great films and he's clearly gotten better. Their is a very big difference between Argo and Pearl Harbor and The Town and Armageddon.

2. It takes Ben Affleck away from the areas where he is good at...writing and making films. This is taking one of the few men to really come along and make provocative enjoyable films, and saddles him with a massive franchise from a questionable writer/director.

3. Socially, it pisses off a massive amount of the comic fandom what I've seen from this announcement are the two very base emotions...anger and contempt. One segment that is furious over this half thought out idea and debasement of a franchise (that wasn't terrible) and the other group acting high and mighty. What you are angry about this little movie their are horrible things going on in the world and you live in your parents basement...while commenting on the internet.
    I think what is interesting about the Affleck casting is that it shows how movies have changed.

This is such a pre-internet, old Hollywood casting idea: take big name celebrity, stick in big name part. Because back in the day star power used to drive ticket sales. But now people on the internet have access to the same insider information, the long list of roles someone has been in and the ability to watch any of those films in short order, so there's more clamoring for indie actors who are better suited to a specific role so they can be given their chance to shine in a role that highlights their strength.

This is something Marvel seems to intuitively understand, while WB has issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jermane View Post
    In my opinion Man of Steel was far from a "failfest". Ofcourse it was not the perfect movie but I felt it was a solid start to the new Superman franchise. I also believe it left potential for an even greater sequel despite it's flaws.
    Those who consider it a "failfest" are the ones who wanted to spend 80-90 minutes in Smallville, minimum, with Clark looking wistfully towards the sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by jermane View Post
    I absolutely loved Man of Steel from the first time I watched it all the way up to the 5th time and probably will in the future times. I think Ben Affleck will bring a great and different feel to the character of Batman, his role in The Town was really different than anything I've seen him do before. I think he'll have that surprise element for Batman, as well, and I'm really looking forward to it.

He's already working out now, according to sources, and I'm sure Zack Snyder is going to have him work out as much as Henry Cavill, if not more. Hopefully Snyder will have him work more on martial arts. If anybody's seen The Watchmen, I believe the Director's or Extended Cut, Snyder had Silk Spectre (II) and Night Owl (II) have a really cool fight against a few thugs in the street alley. Hell, even the prison fight and the final fight are pretty freaking awesome. Snyder is really one of the few directors that I know who has an idea for a great cinematic fight and I'm sure he'll treat Batman the same, if not better.

No stunt casting; Affleck is a very in demand director right now. I am sure WB is offering him the role to get that name power on some of their other films.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    No stunt casting; Affleck is a very in demand director right now. I am sure WB is offering him the role to get that name power on some of their other films.
    Hopefully, to direct a DC movie. Also isn't Benny a comic book guy?
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck