Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Abe Sapien #8: The Land of the Dead

Last edited by Middenway; 08-21-2013 at 05:12 PM.

There's more flashbacks planned down the road. I'm hoping five or six of them will be collected together in a trade so that it and the first two Abe Sapien volumes can be collected in an Abe Sapien omnibus full of flashback material.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    There's more flashbacks planned down the road. I'm hoping five or six of them will be collected together in a trade so that it and the first two Abe Sapien volumes can be collected in an Abe Sapien omnibus full of flashback material.
    I kinda like this idea, but I also hope they don't go too crazy with the flashbacks. I know they mentioned the ongoing series was originally set for 4 trades, which could bring Abe back to BPRD roughly around Hell on Earth Trade 11 or 12 (assuming he comes back), which I would think should leave just a couple more for a big conclusion (planned to be similar length to Plague of Frogs right?). I think that feels about right, of course if the story needs it, I'm fully willing to go longer with it

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    I know they mentioned the ongoing series was originally set for 4 trades ... I think that feels about right, of course if the story needs it, I'm fully willing to go longer with it
    They've since said that the four-trade idea is no longer happening. That was the original plan, but things have changed. It will be a little longer now... I've no idea by how much, and I'm not sure they know yet either. Scott Allie just finished the script for #15 today though. Plus I do like the idea that this series is finite and will eventually tie back into B.P.R.D.
    ...I also hope they don't go too crazy with the flashbacks.
    I don't think there will be too much flashback stuff. Probably only one or two a year, if that. And it sounds like it's motivated by what's going on in the modern plotlines, so it should be really fun. I'm pretty excited about this. I hope Liz will make an appearance in one of them some day. I've wanted to see a Liz/Abe story for a while.
    ...which could bring Abe back to BPRD roughly around Hell on Earth Trade 11 or 12 (assuming he comes back), which I would think should leave just a couple more for a big conclusion (planned to be similar length to Plague of Frogs right?).
    No, Hell on Earth is going to be longer than Plague of Frogs. I've no idea how long, but it's certainly more than 12 trades. I'm thinking it'll probably be a factor of three though, just so it fits nicely into the eventual omnibuses. Maybe 15 or 18?

It seems a long way off, but Lake of Fire which began today will be Volume 8! These books sure add up fast.

By the way, I thought it was kinda cool that his 31 Days of Abe picture appears to be early concept work for this story:
    Last edited by Middenway; 08-21-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Oeming: "...I'm a big fan of the Mayans, 'Ancient Aliens' and forgotten pre-Adamic worlds. I read about how the Mayans had beliefs that the other world was a literal place in these underwater sink holes. There were even temples that were under the water, either flooded or they swam through the water to build them, there are quite a few 'National Geographic' articles and YouTube channels about it. That was it, Scott immediately saw the hook into the 'Hellboy' universe and he went for it."

Yeah, I'm very curious about this story. "Ancient Aliens" ... ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aliens-Seed-of-Destruction.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	120073

first thing I thought of haha. Could it be time?? XD
    Reading this week: The Unwritten: On to Genesis, Hellblazer: Scab, Mountaingirl collection

I always assume no, just so I don't get my hopes up. One day, though...

The aliens have only been so cool in the Hellboy world. Like they wouldn't let you down.

I'd be ready for it pretty much. Would it be mr Mike or mr Scott making a move storywise? Or both? I feel confident mr Oeming will shine.

I sort of forgot the aliens actually had dialogue. Since I would think a totally non-dialogue-story would also be nifty. Or a gibberish one, like Weasel #4 mr Mike did once.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I loved the description of the cycles of worlds in the last issue but in the end it really got me thinking. The indian mention that there were no gods to sacrifice themselves to restart the world this time, that it was the final end of days, Hellboy died and it was said to buy the world some time...what if Abe is a god? Does he need to sacrifice himself too in order to save the world?
    Liz too?
    Johann?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...what if Abe is a god? Does he need to sacrifice himself too in order to save the world?
    He has been called "child of Dagon," and Dagon was certainly a god. Liz herself has harnessed Vril, so that could imply there's something of the god-like about her.

I think he may be Dagon himself, a sort of reincarnation through that pod he touched. Only time will tell, but that indian's story feels like something that will have some serious weight to it further down the line.

I recall a couple of years ago in an interview with John Arcudi about "Gods and Monsters" that the identities of the titular "gods" and "monsters" will eventually be clear to readers:

"The gods of the title will only become more apparent to the literal minded readers out there a few miniseries down the road," Arcudi said, "but in a more metaphorical sense, the gods are the apparently warring spiritual futures of the world. Vague and heady enough for you?"
    I think it's still up in the air what either of them are, but it's at least been heavily hinted that Liz is either like Heca emen ra, or another incarnation of her, or Heca emen ra herself, and thus may actually be a goddess. I wouldn't be surprised if the same sort of thing is true of Abe, though the "child of Dagon" line confuses me since Abe is now made out to be the first of the new race of man, rather than a descendant of a god. I always thought the egg might have been the trapped spirit of an Ogdru Hem, and Abe was the result of its contact with a human. So is Abe a frog, something new, a god, an Ogdru Hem himself? I hope we actually do get answers in his series.

Ah, I remember that interview now. That's very interesting. I think that may have been back in the days when Abe's journey was meant to play out in the pages of B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth still, or at the very least back when the Abe Sapien side quest was only meant to go for four issues. I think given the state things are now, those answers may be a little further off than a couple of miniseries. We'll have to wait and see.

Default Abe Sapien #8: The Land of the Dead [PREVIEW]

Last edited by Middenway; 12-10-2013 at 09:06 PM.