Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Aug 20, 2013

Is bigger better? Augie takes a close look at "The Smurfs Anthology" from Papercutz, and evaluates digest-format experiments from Image's "Savage Dragon" and Marvel's "Spellbinders."

Full article here.

All I've seen of those Savage Dragon pages is the two versions of the first page that you posted, but I have to say in that case, the digest size version looks good and natural, whereas the bigger version just looks like a digest page clumsily reformatted to a bigger page.

I hope the rest of the book is done better than that.

There was also a young Thor book in that digest series that was really good. You're dead on about the paper quality there though - it was AWFUL! Everything comes out grainy and pixelated. :(
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

My biggest issue with the paper quality on those digest books was how thick it was. My shelf space is limited and those Runaways books take up a lot of space.

I suspect it was on purpose so they didn't look so weedy next to the Manga books.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Is bigger better? Augie takes a close look at "The Smurfs Anthology" from Papercutz, and evaluates digest-format experiments from Image's "Savage Dragon" and Marvel's "Spellbinders."
    Full article here.
    i picked up this digest based on your description of what went into it and what made it different, thanks.

in the post you noted that "This time, rather than go with the same number of panels per page, or the same span of time per page, he's upped the ante." -- i am curious about these examples you mentioned (as well as any others you can think of). i dont read savage dragon regularly but would be interested in checking out things like this and reading any discussions about them if youve already covered that. what specifically were you referencing?