Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Three, #1

When a member of the Spartan ruling class visits an isolated homestead of Helot workers, a brutal massacre is only the beginning. KIERON GILLEN (PHONOGRAM, Über, Iron Man), RYAN KELLY (Saucer County, Local), JORDIE BELLAIRE (THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS, NOWHERE MEN) and historical consultant PROF. STEPHEN HODKINSON unite to tell the heroic story of three slaves and their desperate attempt to escape 300 of the finest warriors who've ever lived.

Full article here.

Looks great

great way to jump on frank millers bandwagon, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy-Never View Post
    great way to jump on frank millers bandwagon, lol.
    I'm guessing, given the historical consultant they are going for a little... less Miller-esque take on things.

This is the first I've heard of this and it looks cool. I've recently dropped some of the big 2 from my pull list so I have some room for this. Image is killing it lately and it seems that no matter what genre the book is , the quality is very good and consistent. I already have 5 books that I'm getting from Image and I'm going to add this and 2 others that come out in a few months, Southern Bastards by Jason Aaron and Black Science by Rick Remender.

from what I have gathered they're utilizing one of frank millers projects and just adding a few characters and a new storyline perspective, being that frank miller already covered 300 (quite well) I see it as veiled plagiarism. not to bash them but when I read a story or purchase a book, I want to see originality. they missed that mark.

from what I have gathered they're utilizing one of frank millers projects and just adding a few characters and a new storyline perspective, being that frank miller already covered 300 (quite well) I see it as veiled plagiarism. not to bash them but when I read a story or purchase a book, I want to see originality. they missed that mark.
    From the words of the author:

"However, one day, I came home from the pub drunk, crashed down on the sofa and grabbed a book off the shelf. As fate would have it, it was "300." I was flicking through it and after hitting another of the lengthy monologues about these free men dying for the right of men to be freely free, I just went incandescent and pretty much snarled at the book, "Oh, fuck off. You people hunted slaves."

It sounds more like an Ennis-type attack on heroes, only this time they're wearing bronze armour rather than tights.

where might I find that quote? and I believe when a creator receives permission from a author or authors estate, its not infringement/plagiarism. and the "3" seems to be a poor spin off of the 300, personally I wouldn't buy it.

Walked from your door to you closet as you read this

Frank Miller did not invent Spartans. This book has nothing in common with 300 other than the presence of Spartans. Accusing Kieron Gillen (who the hell is 'they' anyway?) of plagiarizing 300 is downright stupid.

Walked from your door to you closet as you read this

where might I find that quote? and I believe when a creator receives permission from a author or authors estate, its not infringement/plagiarism. and the "3" seems to be a poor spin off of the 300, personally I wouldn't buy it.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=47411

perhaps we have a misunderstanding, I thought you were quoting frank miller, do you understand my viewpoint or do you feel I am not making sense?

well I believe bashing someone over a opinion which they have a right to is ignorant and pointless, besides you feeling the necessity to be rude and offensive over a civil discussion you weren't even originally involved in speaks volumes about your character. thanks anyway champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Amidio View Post
    Frank Miller did not invent Spartans. This book has nothing in common with 300 other than the presence of Spartans. Accusing Kieron Gillen (who the hell is 'they' anyway?) of plagiarizing 300 is downright stupid.
    no miller did not invent spartans, but he invented a franchise from the storyline, secondly he invented the stylized retelling of the age old story. and I am not accusing anyone of anything I am Stating fact. the book has many similarities from what I gather, have you read it? doubt it it is not even out yet. from what little I have seen its the same setting just from a different perspective. seriously 3 and three hundred aren't similar even in a numerical sense? ok. anyway I believe it would serve you well to research PLAGIARISM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism , and the basics of storytelling. the infringement gillen is committing treads a fine line. it may not be legally binding, but the pitch so far in my opinion (which I am very much entitled to) lacks originality, which I believe if you were aware, originality is the basic foundation for any good story. THIS is a clear case of artistic plagiarism, with a historical back drop. so before you speak my good man, perhaps you should give yourself ample time to think about what you're saying, further more if you cant produce a proper rebuttal, dont even address me.
    Last edited by Tommy-Never; 08-28-2013 at 06:49 PM.