Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Aug 19, 2013

Tim concludes his countdown of the Top 10 Superhero Role-Playing Games of All Time, featuring powers taken to the ultimate, the art of Geof Darrow and George Perez, and a world turned savage.

Full article here.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Champions in 5th and MSH in first? Seriously.

Sorry, you just lost all RPG credibility to me.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post

Nonsense. I still play the FASERIP system today, but the only time I ever play Hero System anymore is for the occasional convention game. I'm not going to tell you that one is DEFINITIVELY better than the other, but placing FASERIP as the best superhero game is certainly a *reasonable opinion*.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    Nonsense. I still play the FASERIP system today, but the only time I ever play Hero System anymore is for the occasional convention game. I'm not going to tell you that one is DEFINITIVELY better than the other, but placing FASERIP as the best superhero game is certainly a *reasonable opinion*.
    It's the gap as much or more than the final placement. I'd put Champions before FASERIP, but I can see someone going the other way round. What I don't see is Champions falling as far down as 5th.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Champions fifth?

No Heroes Unlimited?

And I never got the appeal of Marvel Super Heroes as a RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Champions fifth?

No Heroes Unlimited?

Ease of use.

After being the guy who had to explain 2nd Edition AD&D to game but novice players several times over,
    you begin to appreciate ease of use.

Any list of Super Hero RPGs without the Marvel SAGA System is HIGHLY suspect.

As I mentioned on Facebook, it's hard to compare Marvel/FASERIP and Champions/Hero System, as they're apples and oranges. One is a rules light system emphasizing genre emulation over crunch, while the other is more crunchy and more centered on a homage universe. I'm sure most of us would have different lists, I know I would. I've played most of the games on the list and don't agree with the placement of some games.
    DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer | Sketchpad Studios
    Acts of Villainy - Villains for superhero RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post

And gained more with me. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Champions fifth?

No Heroes Unlimited?

Heroes Unlimited would be on the worst 10 list!

side note-- was GURPS mentioned at all?

anybody who knows of Marvel Super Heroes/TSR social clubs or conventions, PM me...

Uncanny Forever

Shame the Watchmen RPG didn't get a mention - good gameplay and lots of original Dave Gibbons art.

Neither BASH! nor ICONS made the top ten? I call shenanigans.

Number one is number one.

The rest, I could care less about. I TRIED playing Champions. Over-complicated rules and sub-par flavour.

Marvel may have been simple, but it captured the era perfectly, and since it was MY era, I loved it.

"Shame the Watchmen RPG didn't get a mention - good gameplay and lots of original Dave Gibbons art."

I might well be wrong but wasn't that a supplement for the Mayfair DC game at number 4?

Anyway my real reason coming here is in praise of the Marvel Superheroes game from TSR at number one. I bloody loved that game, I played quite a few RPGs back in the day, but this and the Judge Dredd ones are the only one's that I get close to wanting to revisit - would that that were possible.

I've got PDFs of the books somewhere and remember spending a blissful few hours one day trawling online to look at the various modules I'd forgotten all about. The maps were such fun and made a big part of the decisions to purchase of any supplements, so 'New York, New York' and 'Days of Futures Past' were excellent. As you say though Ultimate Powers was boss. Oh the long hours we had with that one. I also used to love spending hours making cards to represent the various characters on the game maps. I made literally hundreds of them.

The rules were so 'light' and free that were constantly developing different moves, changing different attacks etc to make them work better. The simplicity of the Universal Table made that so easy to do, a couple of friends and I changed so much over a companion that lasted 3 or 4 years. I must go home and see what I can dig out of the 'League of Strangers', I do miss them...