Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Thor: God of Thunder, #11

"Thor: God of Thunder" #11 wraps up the "God Bomb" story from Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic.

Full review here.

You're trippin man. This story is so drawn out, it's only saviour is the gorgeous artwork by Esad Ribic. That lone issue drawn by the guest artist, I forget who, showed just how lame this story is if illustrated by someone else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Render View Post
    You're trippin man. This story is so drawn out, it's only saviour is the gorgeous artwork by Esad Ribic. That lone issue drawn by the guest artist, I forget who, showed just how lame this story is if illustrated by someone else.
    no son YOU are Trippin!
    polls dont lie
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-11&highlight=

butch guice is a fantastic artist, his game that issue was blasted to hell for some reason.
    if he had been at this quality that issue it would have been gorgeous

he wasnt even remotely trying that issue.

Wow, so 40 people out of 60 some polled think this arc is bad ass. Hmm is it me or is all 40 of you which are totally blasted?

4.5 stars?? Da hell...! Best issue all month, and you skimp out on the last .5?? Cheap-shot!

I think this story, and Aaron, earned that last star, and with spades. If not simply for doing something very rare: Ending a story nearly perfectly.

How many times can you say that? How many stories that are good, actually have an exceptional ending?

Think it trough... that was a cheap-shot of yours, mr reviewer.

SILENCE, KNAIVE!!

I usually hate aarons Writing But Damn this deserved a 5/5, Job well done Jason, this was amazing.

This entire arc was gorgeous, absolutely stellar entertainment and worthy of standing among the best works every to come out of Marvel.

And I've read a lot of Marvel over the years.

Art inking coloring characters plot script concepts pacing humor ... all of it stack up with some of the best graphic novels I've ever read.

re: "Too decompressed" - totally disagree with this.

Unlike the current big Avengers / New Avengers / Infinity stuff going on, "Godbomb" is a story that has enough depth originality and interest that it needed all the space they took to tell it. As opposed to, using two main titles and a special event to tell a story that - while it has some cool elements to it - in the broader view is, in actuality, a hot mess.

Sorry to see Esad go (for now). But can't wait to see what they do next.

The story itself wasn't decompressed, seeing as the two separate arcs are fairly unique from each other. Aaron masterfully weaved together three different eras from Thor, as well as three different personalities of Thor, and brought it all together for a quite imaginative take on the character. Sure, Gorr was the singular villain in the story, but even he experiences growth as a character as well.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

This review was a half star short.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Default I have to agree with all the 5 starrers

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    This review was a half star short.
    It was such a relief to get a satisfying conclusion to what has been an excellent story. I got back into buying weekly comics when Marvel Now kicked in and this arc more or less provided everything I love about comics. I laughed, my jaw hit the floor at the stunning art work, I fell in love with things like whales swimming through space (where besides comics do you get that level of crazy wonderful and not think it ludicrous?) and when I got to the last page, I'm not too proud to admit, I welled up. I was genuinely moved by the end of this story.

It absolutely nailed the character of Thor and gave insights into the world and culture of Asgard through the three Thors without having to spend ages on exposition or drawn out soliloquies about the shining city and it's history.

I'm not sure it needed the Gorr-igin issue, I kind of liked it more before I knew the reasons behind what he was doing, but overall I would say this is one of the great Thor stories. I don't know what more you could want from it.

This was a 5/5.
    Only thing missing for me was Thor fighting at combat light speed but thats just me being a fanboy. incredible art, story and beautifully done. Can't say enough about it. Best arc I've read since Whedon's Astonishing X-men.
    Cyclops was right.

Psycho talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Homem Morcego View Post
    Psycho talk.
    I gave these 11 issues another look through purely on all the posters effusing such praise and I gotta say, it's a simple minded story and I still don't think it's all that. Sorry.