Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a pirate ship
    Posts
    17,664

    Default

    Don't forget Nekra!!!

  2. #17
    Senior Member Lorendiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Don't forget Nekra!!!
    As a matter of fact, Nekra popped into my head while I was composing the original post. I remembered her mother was African-American (and presumably her father was too?). I knew she debuted sometime in the 1970s. But I had serious doubts about whether it would be fair to give her credit for being "one of Marvel's earliest black supervillains" when her skin was so white.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,935

    Default

    NEKRA (1973) for sure, as an albino child of African-American parents. I'm not sure where her oft partner MANDRILL falls in terms of heritage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nekra(comics).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	118493

  4. #19
    Senior Member Lorendiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    NEKRA (1973) for sure, as an albino child of African-American parents. I'm not sure where her oft partner MANDRILL falls in terms of heritage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nekra(comics).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	118493
    As I recall, Nekra's mom and Mandrill's dad had been caught in the same radioactive accident. When I read the origin stories in OHOTMU entries, I gathered the irony was supposed to be that the child of black parents was later born with very white skin, while the child of white parents was born with very dark skin.

  5. #20
    Welcome to Bleeker Street MRP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,847

    Default

    There's a fairly good list of black super-villains form all companies here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._supervillains

    I's wikipedia, so I am sure there are omissions and errors (they list Bolt as a Daredevil villain under Marvel for example, but it was the Golden Age Daredevil from Lev Gleason that had a villain named bolt, an entirely different character and not associated with Marvel).

    -M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

  6. #21
    Senior Member Lorendiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    There's a fairly good list of black super-villains form all companies here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._supervillains

    I's wikipedia, so I am sure there are omissions and errors (they list Bolt as a Daredevil villain under Marvel for example, but it was the Golden Age Daredevil from Lev Gleason that had a villain named bolt, an entirely different character and not associated with Marvel).

    -M
    Or maybe a Wikipedia contributor was thinking of this guy?

    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/boltevansdd.htm

  7. #22
    Member Mantis Girl '94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sitting on your lap
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Prowler was my first favorite villian (turned good guy)...I would of said Black Panther, but I didn't know he was African when I first started reading about him (thought he was just another white guy LOL)

  8. #23
    Welcome to Bleeker Street MRP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    Or maybe a Wikipedia contributor was thinking of this guy?

    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/boltevansdd.htm
    Possible, I did a search on the character bolt on the Grand Comicbook Database and the only hits on Daredevil were the Lev Gleason books and on Black Bolt for Inhuman appearances during the Nocenti run. So I may have just missed it, but errors in wiki are still fairly common.

    -M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

  9. #24
    Senior Member Booshman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    he's a straight-haired Egyptian, by most accounts. you're probably just thinking of his time as a slave.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-Ensabnur.jpg


    at any rate, I think it'd be harder to find the latest black supervillains.
    This is En Sabah Nur (Apocalypse)...

    Last edited by Booshman; 08-19-2013 at 11:03 PM.

  10. #25
    King Lord S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    This is En Sabah Nur (Apocalypse)...

    Exactly. He masquerades as a black guy when he presents himself as En Sabah Nur...but I believe he was actually a genetically black mutant born in Egypt.

  11. #26
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London/NEW YORK
    Posts
    11,937

    Default

    Who would be everyone's "Top 5" black supervillains?

    Mine:
    1. Centurius [Dr. Noah Black]
    2. Doctor Nightshade [Dr. Tilda Johnson]
    3. Frenzy [Joanne Cargill]
    4. Achebe [Revrend Dr. Michael Ibn Al-Hajj Achebe]
    5. Thunderball [Dr. Eliot Franklin]
    Runners-up: Tombstone and Nekra
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-20-2013 at 03:19 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

  12. #27
    Senior Member Booshman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Who would be everyone's "Top 5" black supervillains?

    Mine:
    1. Centurius [Dr. Noah Black]
    2. Doctor Nightshade [Dr. Tilda Johnson]
    3. Frenzy [Joanne Cargill]
    4. Achebe [Revrend Dr. Michael Ibn Al-Hajj Achebe]
    5. Thunderball [Dr. Eliot Franklin]
    Runners-up: Tombstone and Nekra
    Swap the first two and put Joshua N'Dingi in place of Thunderball, for me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •