Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommended Aquaman Comics

I've been thinking about getting some older Aquaman comics(Nothing after the New 52 because I don't want to be influenced by those comics) to try understanding what makes him awesome and why he shouldn't be mocked.

Anyone know any modern-age Aquaman comics that greatly reflects his positives?

Death of a Prince trade.
    Sub Diego.

I hear that Geoff Johns current run of Aquaman is very good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Death of a Prince trade.
    Sub Diego.
    In a nutshell.

Death of a Prince is unfortunately all that's been collected of the Skeates/Aparo run. And not my favorite part of the run by a long shot, either. But their entire collaboration should be checked out. That's first.

Then the Pfeifer and Arcudi-written runs from the 2003 series featuring the Sub Diego stuff, with art by Gleason, Kirk, Clarke, and Batista. For me, that is easily the best of the more modern Aquaman. Issues #15-39. Great stories, beautiful art.

Peter David's entire run in the 90s.

BANNED

New 52
    New 52
    New 52

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    In a nutshell.

Death of a Prince is unfortunately all that's been collected of the Skeates/Aparo run. And not my favorite part of the run by a long shot, either. But their entire collaboration should be checked out. That's first.
    What's the best way to find the better Silver/Bronze Age Aquaman comics outside of that Death Of a Prince trade?
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    What's the best way to find the better Silver/Bronze Age Aquaman comics outside of that Death Of a Prince trade?
    I first read them reprinted in Adventure Comics Digest in the 1980s. But even those are probably hard to find now. Starting from #491 and running through the final issue of the series, #503.
    http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?tid=179031&pgi=451

These were also my first exposure to the original Silver Age Legion of Super-Heroes, reprinted in chronological order, and also had some cool Don Newton-drawn Captain Marvel, Plastic Man, Gardner Fox/Murphy Anderson Spectre, Kirby Sandman, all kinds of good stuff.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Damn. Maybe in 15 years DC will have a change of heart and meet me halfway, that route is a little tough on casual interest.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    Damn. Maybe in 15 years DC will have a change of heart and meet me halfway, that route is a little tough on casual interest.
    Those digests were a hell of a lot of comic for 95 cents. But yeah, if I had to get them for the price they are now, I'd really have to think about it.

Well i have to agree... the new 52 run has been really good and it was a full reboot, so it's easy to pick up.

BUT, i remember loving that run where arthur gets the water hand... i believe it started in 2003 and ended before Infinite Crisis. There are a lot of things i liked about it: Arthur was cool, Lorena (aquagirl) first appeared, the subdiego thing was cool (it gave arthur a place to belong).

I totally recommend that run.
    "You have the ability to overcome great fear...
    Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps"

http://glnofear.tk (Spanish Fan Page)

Quote Originally Posted by AvengingJustice View Post
    I've been thinking about getting some older Aquaman comics(Nothing after the New 52 because I don't want to be influenced by those comics) to try understanding what makes him awesome and why he shouldn't be mocked.

Anyone know any modern-age Aquaman comics that greatly reflects his positives?
    The Aquaman Shrine (@AquamanShrine) has their own list of the Greatest Aquaman Stories Ever Told, none of them are New 52. Check it out:

http://www.aquamanshrine.com/2011/11...l#.UhQXin-p2Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaztek View Post
    The Aquaman Shrine (@AquamanShrine) has their own list of the Greatest Aquaman Stories Ever Told, none of them are New 52. Check it out:

http://www.aquamanshrine.com/2011/11...l#.UhQXin-p2Sp
    His #1 pick is my #1 pick as well

1. "The Search For Mera" by Steve Skeates and Jim Aparo - Aquaman #s 40-47. Okay, for my #1 pick I just had to go with this multi-issue storyline, which kicked off the first ever issue of Aquaman by the unbeatable team known as SAG (Skeates-Aparo-Giordano). Mera has disappeared, and Aquaman has to hit the watery trail to find her! Combining fantasy and western elements, it moved Aquaman away from the "Threat of the month"-style of superhero comics to more nuanced, character-driven stories. Unbelievably, has never been collected, except in digest form in Adventure Comics #s 491-498!
    And those digests were how I read it... I'd love if they did a full-size tpb...

Here's a list I did for Comicvine.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/com...-stories/45836

It has 40 stories.

Thanks for the links. Both sites were great. Aquaman has had many great stories over the years.

One run that is overlooked is Jurgens' issues on the book. Also after Superboy - Aquaman has the most appearances in Adventure Comics.