Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    I don't get that though. It's not like she is flawless. As a teenager she basically abandoned and cut all ties to her immediate family because she wanted to get away from all the dysfunction and sought escape through partying and entertaining Aunt May. Her mother died even before she could make amends, which makes Peter's outburst at her that she "wouldn't even care if her own mother died" in the ASM #122 epilogue that much more hurtful.

And during the wedding years, she was depicted as having huge insecurities regarding Peter's love for her and whether she was just his "second choice" after Gwen. And her acting career never took off so she had her fair share of failures. She is a pretty relatable character despite her looks and probably the most "human" love interest in all of comics. Which would explain why Peter and she are winning the current CBR poll of "Which separated couple in comics would readers like to see reunited?" by a HUGE margin-

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...sults&msg=dupe
    I'm not sure this is a sign of being flawed. Her family life was pretty terrible and she wanted to get away from it. Flawed would be if she stuck around while knowing better.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Every character is at the mercy of the writer that is writing her/him. Peter died a villain because Slott decided it was so. MJ (and most of the Marvel U.) was too clueless to realize that Peter Parker/Spider-man has undergone a drastice personality change because Slott decided it was so. This story is making the whole Marvel U. seem like fools, not just MJ. IMO, that's just bad storytelling.
    Rock and Roll is Rock and Roll. When you try to make it more than that, it becomes something else. That's not a bad thing, but damn -- somebody still needs to play Rock and Roll.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm going to cut this conversation off right now.
    I was not being completely serious in my reply to DebkoX btw. Didn't mean to start up anything.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    I'm not sure this is a sign of being flawed. Her family life was pretty terrible and she wanted to get away from it. Flawed would be if she stuck around while knowing better.
    She left her mother alone after her abusive father was jailed. No matter how depressing the atmosphere at home may have been, that was kind of harsh. MJ also cut off ties with her married elder sister Gail because her husband's depression and weariness troubled MJ and reminded her of their father. It was a perfect example of Young MJ searching for escape from her problems through partying and finding comfort in the security of the kindly Aunts May and Anna.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroid View Post
    Every character is at the mercy of the writer that is writing her/him. Peter died a villain because Slott decided it was so. MJ (and most of the Marvel U.) was too clueless to realize that Peter Parker/Spider-man has undergone a drastice personality change because Slott decided it was so. This story is making the whole Marvel U. seem like fools, not just MJ. IMO, that's just bad storytelling.
    So for 50 years, Spider-Man has been a bad book? It should have taken 2 weeks after getting bit for anyone that knew Peter Parker to figure out something was drastically wrong, and 2 weeks after that to realize he was Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    I don't get that though. It's not like she is flawless. As a teenager she basically abandoned and cut all ties to her immediate family because she wanted to get away from all the dysfunction and sought escape through partying and entertaining Aunt May. Her mother died even before she could make amends, which makes Peter's outburst at her that she "wouldn't even care if her own mother died" in the ASM #122 epilogue that much more hurtful.

And during the wedding years, she was depicted as having huge insecurities regarding Peter's love for her and whether she was just his "second choice" after Gwen. And her acting career never took off so she had her fair share of failures. She is a pretty relatable character despite her looks and probably the most "human" love interest in all of comics. Which would explain why Peter and she are winning the current CBR poll of "Which separated couple in comics would readers like to see reunited?" by a HUGE margin-

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...sults&msg=dupe
    I knew all this history, and I still don't feel any particularly love for MJ. Again, I don't hate her; I just don't particularly care about her. I thought she was interesting back in the day before they turned her into the perfect fantasy wife (which was really only in the last 15 years or so), but even when I thought she was interesting, I didn't particularly care about her. I think what I truly despise is her hype, both inside and outside of the comic, which seems to insist that I *have* to like MJ. I get it - she craps gold and farts perfume. No, I don't still don't care, and I don't have to, I really don't. I can love Spider-man and his world and adventures and not be fussed about the fabulous Mary Jane Watson. And like I've said, I don't care if the majority of the fans love her - good for them. I hope they get what they want. She doesn't matter enough to me to get upset about it. She wasn't the reason I started reading and she's not enough to make me stop.

"LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?"

Quote Originally Posted by Spideress View Post
    I knew all this history, and I still don't feel any particularly love for MJ. Again, I don't hate her; I just don't particularly care about her. I thought she was interesting back in the day before they turned her into the perfect fantasy wife (which was really only in the last 15 years or so), but even when I thought she was interesting, I didn't particularly care about her. I think what I truly despise is her hype, both inside and outside of the comic, which seems to insist that I *have* to like MJ. I get it - she craps gold and farts perfume. No, I don't still don't care, and I don't have to, I really don't. I can love Spider-man and his world and adventures and not be fussed about the fabulous Mary Jane Watson. And like I've said, I don't care if the majority of the fans love her - good for them. I hope they get what they want. She doesn't matter enough to me to get upset about it. She wasn't the reason I started reading and she's not enough to make me stop.
    Pretty much my sentiments as well. Just not interested, and the hype over her on message boards has always served to make her more irritating to me than aything else. So much of it feels like geek wish fufillment.

Quote Originally Posted by fedup23 View Post
    So for 50 years, Spider-Man has been a bad book? It should have taken 2 weeks after getting bit for anyone that knew Peter Parker to figure out something was drastically wrong, and 2 weeks after that to realize he was Spider-Man.
    That is a good point.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I knew all this history, and I still don't feel any particularly love for MJ. Again, I don't hate her; I just don't particularly care about her. I thought she was interesting back in the day before they turned her into the perfect fantasy wife (which was really only in the last 15 years or so), but even when I thought she was interesting, I didn't particularly care about her.
    Does not compute.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Does not compute.
    Yeah, I'm with you. MJ was hardly a Stepford wife. She had flaws, she and Peter fought sometimes, she thought about giving up, she smoked cigarettes to cope (only bad people do that), and she even cheated on Pete once. I liked OMD and I like the stories now, but I always liked the marriage too. I never felt that it was boring or that MJ was "the perfect fantasy wife."
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you. MJ was hardly a Stepford wife. She had flaws, she and Peter fought sometimes, she thought about giving up, she smoked cigarettes to cope (only bad people do that), and she even cheated on Pete once. I liked OMD and I like the stories now, but I always liked the marriage too. I never felt that it was boring or that MJ was "the perfect fantasy wife."
    What if a Stepford wife?

Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by fedup23 View Post
    Nope. Peter was bitten as a teenager, and an incredibly awkward one at that. Peter's strange behaviour could have been attributed to hormones, being a nerd, growing up, etc. Peter was the typical teenager, trying his best to hide a secret. Just like the rest of us. This new 'story' focuses on a huge supporting cast and allies who are basically turning a blind eye to obvious changes, despite having the overwhelming ability to look into the situation without Otto even knowing. Again, it all comes down to the current writer to ignore plot holes, while turning decades of great supporting and intelligent characters into dumbfounded idiots.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Clearly Peter continued to act like an awkward teenager even after getting into college.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

MJ is my favorit supporting comic book character. She is however a supporting character and is only salient when she is relevant to the Spider-Man story (IMO). In the current story she is not very relevant so when she is wedged in to plot from time-to-time it makes her seem to be clueless or foolish. I don't think this is intentional on the part of Mr. Slott. It is just some readers perception.
    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.