Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    If corporations are people, then so are labor unions. But for some reason I never hear people like Mitt Romney arguing that.
    Yeah, I've lost hours in life pondering why it's ok to say unions are inherently evil, but other forms of people bonding together over a common cause - political parties, religions, corporations, community groups, building societies etc get a pass.

Ok, I've not lost hours pondering why - unions not only increase the cost of production/creation by ensuring that everyone involved gets fair treatment and compensation, they also dramatically close the gap between the rich and poor, which clearly takes the fun out of life for the rich.
    What I've actually lost hours on is pondering why people who aren't billionaires running corporations are so keen to call unions evil, and so keen to ignore the interests inevitably behind anyone calling unions evil.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post
    Yeah, I've lost hours in life pondering why it's ok to say unions are inherently evil, but other forms of people bonding together over a common cause - political parties, religions, corporations, community groups, building societies etc get a pass.

Ok, I've not lost hours pondering why - unions not only increase the cost of production/creation by ensuring that everyone involved gets fair treatment and compensation, they also dramatically close the gap between the rich and poor, which clearly takes the fun out of life for the rich.
    What I've actually lost hours on is pondering why people who aren't billionaires running corporations are so keen to call unions evil, and so keen to ignore the interests inevitably behind anyone calling unions hevil.
    In the US it's largely because everyone is firmly convinced they're one lucky break or idea away from being one of those billionaires. And then they'll be the ones having to deal with the greedy corrupt unions. A history of unions being run by mobsters probably doesn't help.n

The bottom line, incorporation is a legal fiction which allows groups of individuals to invest money jointly without individual civil or legal liability for their joint actions.

It's a privilege and it's one created by the state.

As such corporations have no inherent rights, they have only those rights which the state grants them.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

If you care about the Kirby's at all and think they deserve money/rights whatever- do what I do. Refuse to see any movie, buy any merch or comics that use characters Kirby created or co-created. And be VOCAL and LOUD about it. The only thing Disney/Marvel understand is profit. They will never do the right thing freely- only the profitable thing. Stop giving them your money and they will reconsider cutting the Kirby's a little. It's the least they can do. Otherwise it is very hypocritical to say you care if you aren't involved and using your money to influence change.
    Adam ILLUS Wallenta
    Artist/Writer
    www.AdamWallenta.com

Follow me on Twitter at @AdamWallenta and add me on Facebook if you like.

Big Hairy Member JeffreyWKramer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    The bottom line, incorporation is a legal fiction which allows groups of individuals to invest money jointly without individual civil or legal liability for their joint actions.
    The bolded is why I think corporate "personhood" is one of the worst ideas of all time, and should be done away with. Anything that allows so many people to get away with so much wrongdoing without fear of meaningful consequences is evil, and in my opinion has no place in a society that aspires toward being a civil and just one.
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:
    1) Most people are stupid.
    2) Most people who aren't stupid often behave as if they were stupid.
    3) Many people who are not stupid nonetheless believe a lot of astonishingly stupid things.

“really? isnt the bible millions of years old?” – curefreak
    “Yep. It was originally written by a stegosaurus and a fern.” – Dan Apodaca

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    In the US it's largely because everyone is firmly convinced they're one lucky break or idea away from being one of those billionaires. And then they'll be the ones having to deal with the greedy corrupt unions. A history of unions being run by mobsters probably doesn't help.n
    Here we have the scare stories of unions being run by Communists, which is partly true in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    They didn't even have artist credits on the comics.
    When did they start doing those as standard? (It's not until 1978 or so that 2000 AD kicked it off in the UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post

They didn't 'though, did they?
    No, but that's because Kirby didn't do anything. If he had, they could have replaced him - and it would mean the Marvel Universe never started and/or died early, but they didn't know they were going to have "the Marvel Universe" when Kirby started back with him. And when it became a thing, they had other artists and got some to ape Kirby - there's a very small window where he'd be influential enough and irreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliptical Man View Post
    Name me one corporation that isn't comprised of people. Just one.
    "Corporations are people" doesn't mean they're comprised of people, it means that the corporation is itself counted as a person (in law).
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by ILLUS View Post
    If you care about the Kirby's at all and think they deserve money/rights whatever- do what I do. Refuse to see any movie, buy any merch or comics that use characters Kirby created or co-created. And be VOCAL and LOUD about it. The only thing Disney/Marvel understand is profit. They will never do the right thing freely- only the profitable thing. Stop giving them your money and they will reconsider cutting the Kirby's a little. It's the least they can do. Otherwise it is very hypocritical to say you care if you aren't involved and using your money to influence change.
    Avengers made a billion damn dollars at the box office. A few well-intentioned comics fans boycotting it ain't gonna be a drop in that bucket.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    When did they start doing those as standard? (It's not until 1978 or so that 2000 AD kicked it off in the UK)
    FF#1 credited Stan and Jack. I'm not aware of it happening before then, but I could be wrong.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

FF#1 credited Stan and Jack. I'm not aware of it happening before then, but I could be wrong.
    Simon & Kirby used to get credited, I think.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Avengers made a billion damn dollars at the box office. A few well-intentioned comics fans boycotting it ain't gonna be a drop in that bucket.
    A movement starts with a few well-intentioned people. What the powers that be want you to believe is- it is hopeless. And that is not true. The Civil Rights movement was successful because boycotts hurt businesses in the pocket. It too started with a few well intentioned people and they were up against way more.

Regardless- I made my personal choice. If people are ok with giving money to corporations that have no respect for creators that is their business. I choose to support companies that respect creators. That's my business. Maybe I will never have any affect on them- but that doesn't mean I have to give up trying. :-)
    Adam ILLUS Wallenta
    Artist/Writer
    www.AdamWallenta.com

Follow me on Twitter at @AdamWallenta and add me on Facebook if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    This is a remarkable paragraph.

Even if this weren’t the case, the legal standard in the California federal court — the Ninth Circuit — is not as favorable to the California Kirbys as some seem to believe. The Ninth Circuit was actually the first court to apply the legal standard used by the Second Circuit to find that Kirby’s Marvel material was work-for-hire, and the circuit’s commitment to applying this standard has remained relatively firm. Perhaps the most notorious example is the 2005 case of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp. v. Entertainment Distributing, which found President Dwight Eisenhower’s memoirs to be work made for hire owned by Doubleday.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post
    Simon & Kirby used to get credited, I think.
    Absolutely.
    Simon and Kirby were probably among the first superstars of comics; kids would follow them from book to book.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    This is a remarkable paragraph.
    I like this one:

There are deeply ingrained cultural reasons why appellate judges would be likely to identify more with Stan Lee than Jack Kirby. Not only do the elevated honorables of the federal courts of appeal glean much of their material from their lower-court counterparts, but a substantial amount of their creative output is written by anonymous clerks. In this environment receiving credit for someone else’s inspired insights is seen not as a grievous injustice, but the way the system works.
    Oh, SNAP