Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top 20 Justice league trades?

Hi there.. Am about to further my trade collection and have decided to take a foray into the justice league.. What are the top 20 justice league or justice league related trades and books available and worth purchasing?? (No Crisis books though please), oh and nothing after the 52 reboot thanks.
    Last edited by clouds; 08-06-2013 at 11:49 AM.

DC: New Frontier
    Justice League International
    JLA Deluxe Editions by Morrison
    BB

further suggestions:

JLA One Million
    Midsummer's Nightmare
    Tower of Babel
    Divided We Fall
    Terror Incognita
    Identity Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by clouds View Post
    Hi there.. Am about to further my trade collection and have decided to take a foray into the justice league.. What are the top 20 justice league or justice league related trades and books available and worth purchasing?? (No Crisis books though please), oh and nothing after the 52 reboot thanks.
    How old are you, and do you care about history of the comic books?

I ask this because a lot of responses here seem to be more "recent" (as in the past 10-15 years), while the concept of the Justice League of America is over fifty years old.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

FF purist-snob

(No Crisis books though please)
    If you're talking about the JLA/JSA team-ups most all of which are titled "Crisis of some sort or another", I doubt we're going to agree on much. I wish you well.

If you're not talking about them, then the Crisis on Multiple Earth collections of JLA/JSA team-ups are great. Most of them feature a third team of some sort for a plethora of plentiful powerhouses.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Justice, by Alex Ross
    JLA Year One, by Waid and Kitson
    All The Grant Morrison Run ( there are three Omnibus, if I'm not mistaken)
    JLA Earth 2
    JLA/JSA Vice and Virtue
    New Frontier and Kingdom Come (yeah, they are both basically JLA adventures)
    JLA Syndicate Rules by Busiek and Garney
    JLA the Hypothetical Woman by Gail Simone and Jose Luiz Garcia Lopez
    Justice League International (there are six TPBs, if I'm not mistaken)
    Justice League; Generation Lost (2 vols)
    JLA/Avengers

That's twenty, I guess. Have more if you want.

Peace

Hmmm thanks all for your opinions :) been doing a little info searchin around and most reviews concur with your suggestions... there are three trades either after or between morrisons and wades runs "golden sumet" and "obsidian age vol 1&2" are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How old are you, and do you care about history of the comic books?

I ask this because a lot of responses here seem to be more "recent" (as in the past 10-15 years), while the concept of the Justice League of America is over fifty years old.
    I do care about the history of comics but a lot, if not all the stuff from the 60' 70' and 80's just dont do it for me,but i'll still wiki the historical info.. then again the 6 volumes of "justice league international" i might just purchase for there pure comedy value lol... As for crisis stuff i just wanna stay clear of it till i have sampled some regular jla trades... and when i say "crisis stuff" i mean all of it not just the old stuff.. i read final crisis a couple times when i was reading morrisons batman run and even once i had read it for the second time and understood it,it still didnt float my boat.. that being said once i have read quite a few regular jla trades and have a proper handle on the characters i will probably revisit final crisis and all the previous crisis books,and will probably view them in a different light and be posting a thread on here,asking for a complete list of all the crisis trades in order... lol
    Last edited by clouds; 08-06-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Self contained.

JLA/Avengers - for obvious reasons.

Justice - self contained justice league vs the legion of doom

JLA/JSA : Virtue & Vice

Do note that the alex ross justice is not the giant sized jla : justice & liberty one even though both art were done by Alex ross.

JLA : The Nail & the sequel JLA : Another Nail are excellent elseworld reads. Would recommend them.

Hmmm thanks all for your opinions :) been doing a little info searchin around and most reviews concur with your suggestions... there are three trades either after or between morrisons and wades runs "golden sumet" and "obsidian age vol 1&2" are they any good?
    It's "Golden Perfect". I think the Kelly books are decent, though I may be in the minority. A step down though from Morrison and Waid, though.

Golden perfect and Obsidian age , not the best JLA stories around. If you need to get just one Kelly JLA storyline , i would go with "Trial by fire" although it requires a bit of past knowledge of the characters involved.

Last edited by marshal99; 08-06-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Hmmm. I would have to recommend:

JLA: HEAVENS LADDER I think this is the essence of what a League story should be. It is my favorite League book of all time
    JLA Tower of Babel: With the exception of Aquaman,the League's weaknesses and, in some cases, lack thereof are actually handled well.
    JLA Golden Perfect: Joe Kelly at his craziest best--huge scope (and I mean, huge), grand League action, and AMAZING Mahnke/Nguyen art
    JLA American Dreams: Grant Morrison and the Porter/Dell art team give us breathtaking heroism and some of the coolest moments ever
    JLA The Tenth Circle: Reunited Claremont/Byrne for a very classic feeling superhero romp with a number of unexpected twists and turns.
    JLA Divided We Fall: follows up on Tower of Babel and the fallout just has to be seen. Handled very well with art from the team who did HEAVEN's LADDER!
    Last edited by Stanlos; 08-07-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Giving the why's and wherefores of the choices and adding pics

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Golden perfect and Obsidian age , not the best JLA stories around. If you need to get just one Kelly JLA storyline , i would go with "Trial by fire" although it requires a bit of past knowledge of the characters involved.

I like all of Joe Kelly's run but felt that Trial By Fire lacked the scope of Golden Perfect and Obsidian Age (I left the latter off my list because it is two trades to get the whole thing).

Most of the Morrison JLA TPBs were pretty good.
    I would also suggest the trades of Justice League International. The first 24 or so issues ( 4 TPBs I believe).