Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: How Long Do You Think Spider-Man Will Remain "Superior" Now?

How Long Do You Think Spider-Man Will Remain "Superior" Now?

When we first asked how long you thought the "Superior Spider-Man" era would last, 72.6% of you believed it would be over by Issue #24! With word getting out that the series will run through at least #25, we wondered how long you think it will last now!

Vote on the poll here.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

However much longer it goes, it'll be too long. This story has jumped the shark, big time.
    Superman sucks. Batman rules. Spider-man's the best.

I could see it ending in September with a 6 issue arc, beginning that April.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    However much longer it goes, it'll be too long. This story has jumped the shark, big time.
    At the risk of being pendantic, the expression "jumped the shark" refers to a specific event which happens in a series indicating that it has run too long. Is there a specific event that you're referring to, or do you just mean "it's been going on too long" or "I don't like it very much."

I personally think that they've done a good job of introducing new twists and escalations, but I'm about ready for them to wrap things up. Or at least to shuffle Spider-Ock offstage and replace him with a time-displaced Spider-Man 2099 or a reality-displaced Miles Morales.

From a practical standpoint, I assume they'll *have* to bring Peter back in time for the movie next year, but that's plenty of time for them to do more alt-Spidey stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Emissary of Justice View Post
    I could see it ending in September with a 6 issue arc, beginning that April.
    It's bimonthly, so that arc would be longer than 6 issues.

I think issue 25 will be the last issue. It is a big nice round number. I think everything is building up to something big with the Goblin King and I think 25 sounds about exactly right. Long enough for Dan Slott to have had some real time with his pet, not too long as to screw up the bizzillion dollar movie,cartoon, action figure empire that is spiderman.

Mainsteam Comic Fan Sly master9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    At the risk of being pendantic, the expression "jumped the shark" refers to a specific event which happens in a series indicating that it has run too long.
    I thought 'Jumping the shark' meant that the moment of big excitement has passed and from here on out it'll only be going down hill.
    Some fans might say the events of SSM #14 are jumping the shark somewhat.

For my guess, I'll go issue 30-40. Something between that. I'd say closer to 30 then 40.

Gives them enough time to do some more horrible things to Peter's life that will provide enough drama for the coming year or two. And I'll love it.

I don't think it's jumping the shark at all. We all know Peter will eventually be back somehow. Slott's not "ruining" Spider-Man, but he is playing a long game rather than a short game, which is fine!

My theory is, this is going to go to "Superior Spider-Man" No. 99 ... and the next issue will be "Amazing Spider-Man #800.

Hasn't Marvel said it's permanent? If so, then that is the only answer. Anything else is fanfic.
    The Massive . Captain Marvel . Superior Foes of Spider-Man . B.P.R.D.

Mainsteam Comic Fan Sly master9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icemanjeff79 View Post
    I don't think it's jumping the shark at all. We all know Peter will eventually be back somehow. Slott's not "ruining" Spider-Man, but he is playing a long game rather than a short game, which is fine!

My theory is, this is going to go to "Superior Spider-Man" No. 99 ... and the next issue will be "Amazing Spider-Man #800.
    You know, that #99 is about three years away? Assuming they keep double shipping and there won't be anything that stops SSM from printing an issue every two weeks.

I think 99 issues of Superior is a bit too much. And I'm enjoying SpOck. But this needn't to go on for another year, the novelty will wear off.

So while the renumbering would be awesome, it'd be too far away to aim for that.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanjeff79 View Post

That would be kind of cool. I can't imagine it going that long though. That's another 3 years! I'd be fine with 3 years though.

Quote Originally Posted by saucemaster View Post
    Hasn't Marvel said it's permanent? If so, then that is the only answer. Anything else is fanfic.
    I don't think anyone said that but I could be wrong. Slott talks about the new "status quo" a lot but that doesn't really mean permanent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by saucemaster View Post
    They also said Frankencastle was permanent, and that only lasted a few months really.

Nobody in their right mind thinks Peter Parker is gone forever. This will probably last about another year or so.

I give it another year.

To be honest, i dont mind the change, im enjoying morales un the ultimate universe, but the simple fact that 616 Peter's farewell was so unfair and un-heroic for him. And he got humilliated more than once. I cant accept that.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I don't mind permanent, but we'll probably get like, Amazing #750 when the next movie comes out and it'll be Peter City again. They won't let him go, especially not like THAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaharrison View Post
    They also said Frankencastle was permanent, and that only lasted a few months really.
    That volume of Punisher lasted longer than Rucka's, funny enough. People just aren't that into the character anymore.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor