Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: The Flash, #22

History is made when The Flash comes face to face with Reverse Flash for the first time!

Full article here.

I so want to read this series but have never been sold by DC hype or previews. Sigh.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

If you so want to read this series, it means you've already been sold by something. Why not give it a shot? It's the most consistently entertaining pure superhero title DC puts out.

I would suggest picking this issue up if you're interested. Don't worry about getting the past issues yet. The writing has ups and downs, but the art is always top-notch. I think this will be a decent jumping on point... the past few issues have just been building up to this point- but I don't think they are necessary. I hope the story's pace is about to pick up. I'll grab the issue later today.

After seeing that Daredevil cover, I was trying to figure out what the clothes hanging on the clothesline spelled...

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

I see your clothesline and raise you a blinds' outline:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blinds.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	117169

Love that cover!

I've been reading this since after the Gorilla Warfare arc, and I think I'm still kind of confused about everything. I don't know who Iris is (Wally's mom?) or anything about the Speed Force. I want to track down the other floppies because I think I'm enjoying the series. Plus, I really liked Barry when he showed up in Justice League Dark, so I want to like his solo series.

Quote Originally Posted by reubs View Post
    I've been reading this since after the Gorilla Warfare arc, and I think I'm still kind of confused about everything. I don't know who Iris is (Wally's mom?) or anything about the Speed Force. I want to track down the other floppies because I think I'm enjoying the series. Plus, I really liked Barry when he showed up in Justice League Dark, so I want to like his solo series.
    I'm with you on the confused part. I got the first trade, skipped the rogues and grodd, then started picking up the floppies. The scientist guy was the Flash's friend, then betrayed him. Iris is a friend of Barry and is romantically interested in him... I personally prefer Iris to his current girlfriend. I missed the JLD crossover, but plan to get it as a trade later. Anyways, here's a brief synopsis of the story so far (from my limited readings).
    Scientist guy warned Flash that if he went too fast, bad things would happen to our world. Basically, the Flash was breaking the laws of physics, and that had dangerous repercussions. So scientist guy built a machine that used the Flash's speed to generate power for the city. Since then scientist guy and Flash had a falling out. Mostly because scientist guy is a jerk.
    Flash fights captain cold, runs really fast and tears open a rift that sucks Flash and some other people (including Iris) into the speed force zone. Flash doesn't know that the other people are stuck there so they get left in this zone for a long time. Also, in the speed force zone, Flash meets a WWII pilot who got stuck in the speed force zone and has been there for 50 years un-aged. Flash escapes with the pilot back to modern day, but Iris and the others are still stuck in the speed force zone. While there, Iris and the others develop special speed related powers- although it is unknown as of now if Iris actually developed powers. However, everyone else that was there did get some type of power and it's been hinted that Iris too has powers.
    Fast-forward past the two arcs that I skipped...
    Flash and Grodd end up fighting in the SF zone. Flash wins, finds his lost friends, and everyone escapes back to modern day. The people that have been hunted and killed by Reverse Flash are the people that were trapped in the SF zone and developed powers. Of that group, only Iris remains alive. I think that the WWII pilot is still unaccounted for though. Also, the WWII pilot knows Flash's identity because he watched things happen in the real world during his 50 year stay in the SF zone. I'm confused as to why the people that got stuck there also didn't see the Flash's identity while they were stuck in the zone.

Oh, and it turned out the dangerous repercussions that scientist guy warned Flash about were not the Flash's fault. They happened because the WWII pilot was trying to escape the SF zone and in doing so, caused weird stuff to happen in the real world.

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reubs View Post
    I don't know who Iris is (Wally's mom?)
    Wait a sec, you know Wally but don't know Iris? First time I see that.

Anywy, it goes like this: befor4e the New 52, Iris was Barry's girlfriend/wife, and Wally was her nephew. He suffered the same acident as Barry and became Kid Flash. Later, when Barry died, he became the Flash.