View Poll Results: Are the X men doing anything?

Voters
34. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Nope... there just chillin

    13 38.24%
  • Of Course they are whats wrong with you!

    1 2.94%
  • there moving slowly but the'll get there

    15 44.12%
  • its hard to say...

    5 14.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1

    Default Serious question: Are the x men actually doing anything? currently?

    Uncanny X men seems to be leading up to a revolution to something but bendis is taking his precious time seeing as how were 8 issues in and we don't actually know what the revolution is or what it consists of... its all very unclear...

    professor x used to train, protect, teach children and send them out to fight for the cause... but the JGS trains children, teaches, trains them, protects them and.... well that's it....

    Both X forces seem entirely aimless in terms of overall goal or motive.

    all new x men is based on the O5 coming here to ''Fix'' the future but so far what have they fixed? its entertaining yes due to the guest appearances of avengers or cyclops but what have they fixed? and how does them being here accomplish anything other than messing up the time stream and setting the stage for a new event where the x men don't fight villains but yet another version of the x men?

    My point is overall what are the x men actually doing? along the lines of heroic or x men like?

    in the past it was like..









    My point is (outside of woods x men) the x men are essentially aimless & seriously lacking on traditional superhero type stuff. they might fight a little bit. but over all it goes no where & I feel alot of that might be due to the fact the x men don't have a main villain anymore.

    Im just saying... what are your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by DATNIGG; 07-23-2013 at 04:23 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,707

    Default

    The X Men have been turned into the Avengers and that is the problem for me.
    X Men were a family of superheroes fighting secretly for tolerance and acceptance of their kind. Now they are simply government agents doing what SHIELD want them to. But we already have the Avengers doing that. We don't need the X Men doing it as well! Superman and Batman are both 'good guys' but completely different characters doing different things - one protecting humanity in general, the other protecting his home town from crime. By essentially turning the X Men into low budget Avengers they've destroyed their reason for existing.

    Change has to happen but for the better - and I honestly can't see that the X Men are better now than they were years ago.

  3. #3
    BAMF Brigade Sundowhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    The X Men have been turned into the Avengers and that is the problem for me.
    X Men were a family of superheroes fighting secretly for tolerance and acceptance of their kind. Now they are simply government agents doing what SHIELD want them to. But we already have the Avengers doing that. We don't need the X Men doing it as well! Superman and Batman are both 'good guys' but completely different characters doing different things - one protecting humanity in general, the other protecting his home town from crime. By essentially turning the X Men into low budget Avengers they've destroyed their reason for existing.

    Change has to happen but for the better - and I honestly can't see that the X Men are better now than they were years ago.
    Agree. It has all seemed very meandering so far. Uncanny XM has a decent premise, but I've yet to see them do anything but talk. The others don't really seem to have a direction at all.

    From what Aaron has been saying about the new Amazing XM title, it looks like this might be addressed soon, since it's been referred to as classic X-Men style team book. Time will tell.

  4. #4
    The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago,IL
    Posts
    11,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Agree. It has all seemed very meandering so far. Uncanny XM has a decent premise, but I've yet to see them do anything but talk.
    They have saved and recruited like 5 new Mutants, opened a new school, fought Dormammu, embarrasses the Avengers, and have Shield freaking out. But you have yet to see them do anything but talk?

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    The books are just filler right now. It's kind of obvious nothing will happen until BotA...if at all.

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    10,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    They have saved and recruited like 5 new Mutants, opened a new school, fought Dormammu, embarrasses the Avengers, and have Shield freaking out. But you have yet to see them do anything but talk?
    Both sides have recruited mutants
    Open a new school ( though one has to wonder with one side has broken powers it's pretty reckless to open one in their states)
    Fought big villains ( though dormamu was never intentional)

    If you count that as doing something then so be it. Cyke pretty much preaches right now and the fact it was more of magneto who has been doing more than cyke to keep them out of harms way doesn't say much for Scott. He's currently getting re-educated on survival

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starclops View Post
    The books are just filler right now. It's kind of obvious nothing will happen until BotA...if at all.
    True the thing is we have a crossover like this every year now,
    So most of the time the books are just fillers. Take look at Wolverine and The X-men for example.
    Started good than the writter could do nothing for a while because he was filling up AvsX, And now again for BotA

  8. #8
    Junior Member Fifolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dr.maikel View Post
    True the thing is we have a crossover like this every year now,
    So most of the time the books are just fillers. Take look at Wolverine and The X-men for example.
    Started good than the writter could do nothing for a while because he was filling up AvsX, And now again for BotA
    I don't think that's true to every book, but is more noticeable in some.
    First thing to consider is the writing. I like Bendis as a writer but action is not his strong suite, so when he's basically put in charge of the x-franchise, you have to gauge your story expectations to that. He can give you entertaining stories, but they're rarely high octane.
    Then you have to consider most books are now writen and planned by committee. I don't think there's a lot of freedom to write. That is a problem to not only the x-books but Marvel in general.
    Events don't help. It's true a lot of the time the books have to be put on hold on their storylines to pamper the upcoming events. In the last decade, this was somewhat balanced by the fact those events helped create momentum and new storylines to the MU in between. However, in more recent years, that dynamic seems to be gone and events serve only to boost sales.

    In this landscape, i think the x-books have suffered the most, essentially because they're no longer a driving force in the MU. AvX was a confirmation of that. An event that should have been about the x-men was highjacked by the Avengers. X-books have been relegated to the backseat of MU. For example, you can't do an Apocalypse story in the X-Men because it would create problems with the Uncanny Avengers. The Avenger books take priority. You can speculate the reasons for it, but this is the reality of MU right now, for better or worse depending on your point of view.
    Pull list: Increasing out of control. Damn you Image.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,407

    Default

    you repeated yourself like 3 times in that opening post

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dr.maikel View Post
    True the thing is we have a crossover like this every year now,
    So most of the time the books are just fillers. Take look at Wolverine and The X-men for example.
    Started good than the writter could do nothing for a while because he was filling up AvsX, And now again for BotA
    Yep. Just looking at the whole Decimation era, everything essential happens in crossovers. House of M --> Messiah Complex --> Utopia --> Second Coming --> Schism --> AvX. There's really no point anymore in keeping up with the books regularly. The stuff in between is 99% filler.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fifolet View Post
    In this landscape, i think the x-books have suffered the most, essentially because they're no longer a driving force in the MU. AvX was a confirmation of that. An event that should have been about the x-men was highjacked by the Avengers. X-books have been relegated to the backseat of MU. For example, you can't do an Apocalypse story in the X-Men because it would create problems with the Uncanny Avengers. The Avenger books take priority. You can speculate the reasons for it, but this is the reality of MU right now, for better or worse depending on your point of view.
    Speculate? The answer couldn't be more clear It's because Marvel wants to push the Avengers as the driving force of the entire MU.

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    10,436

    Default

    I'm hoping with BOTA everyone both Cyke and Logan will work together again. Just like the Gold and Blue era. I'm tired of the split to be honest and it'll be more effective to work together not just have one book focus on such.

  12. #12
    Senior Member sureshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    I picked moving slowly. We are seeing them doing stuff. Just taking forever imo. Given that it took Bendis 14 issues to finally tell us what Mystique master plan was in All New X-men I think it's a trend that will continue. I get the writers want to buildup their stories and not rush it. Yet they need to reme,ber as well that at the end the buildup needs to be worth it as well.
    Havok was right.

    Jean loves me this I know... for the Church tells me so. Like minded ones to her belong, the haters are weak but they strong.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    I'm hoping with BOTA everyone both Cyke and Logan will work together again. Just like the Gold and Blue era. I'm tired of the split to be honest and it'll be more effective to work together not just have one book focus on such.
    I can`t wait for this to happen, I mean, Uncanny X-Men is going slow.. but All New X-Men is going slower.. and while its "cool" to have the O5 around, there`s a lack of "heavy hitters" on ANXM... I hope at least Magneto changes sides...

    Besides, All New X-Men started a lot better than how it is now... we had Beast and Iceman around quite regularly... now just Kitty and Logan..

  14. #14
    Phrasing AgentFelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dr.maikel View Post
    True the thing is we have a crossover like this every year now,
    So most of the time the books are just fillers. Take look at Wolverine and The X-men for example.
    Started good than the writter could do nothing for a while because he was filling up AvsX, And now again for BotA
    When has this NOT been the case? Only for a short period during Morrison and Whedons runs did the 3 team books maintain autonomy.


    1989- Inferno
    1990- X-Tinction Agenda
    1991- Muir Island Saga
    1992- X-Cutioner's Song
    1993- Fatal Attractions
    1994- Phalanx Covenant
    1995- Age of Apocalypse
    1996- Onslaught
    1997- Operation Zero Tolerance
    1998- Magneto War
    1999- The Twelve
    2000- Dreams End
    2001- Eve of Destruction
    2005- House of M
    2007/2008- Messiah CompleX
    2009- Utopia
    2010- Second Coming
    2011- Schism
    2012- AvX
    2013- BotA
    Ranking the Periods of X-Men History
    X-Book Marvel NOW Timeline
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    I'm hoping with BOTA everyone both Cyke and Logan will work together again. Just like the Gold and Blue era. I'm tired of the split to be honest and it'll be more effective to work together not just have one book focus on such.
    I agree exodus said it best


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •