Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by VDCNI View Post
    I thought most of it was ok - the Titans needed a shake up at that point and Titans Hunt started pretty strongly. If Wolfman had stuck to that story and got it done in 10 issues it might have worked as a revamp but bringing in the Titans from the future and Lord Chaos just confused the issue and dragged the whole thing out too far
    Yeah, I hate time travel, it rarely works well.

Green Lantern #58: 'Conjuring'
    Marz/Hamner-Haynes/Tanghal/Mattsson/DeGuzman

Rating 3.5/5

Plot: After his Titans adventure, Kyle invites Darkstar to help him unpack. They chat. Lots of fun character stuff. Some flirting. It's all good. After Donna leaves, Radu is waiting outside, and asks Kyle if she's his new girlfriend.

Kyle says no, but Radu tells him he approves anyway.. before getting attacked by the monsters in the alley the creepy homeless guy was yelling about last issue. After attempting to beat them up (and sorta failing), he realized the homeless guy is the key, and tells the ring to fix his memory. Turns out, the homeless guy was Felix Faust, who takes him monsters and goes home, promising Kyle would here from him again. He, in fact, turns up in Outsiders (I don't think he ever has met Kyle again.)

Analysis: Overall, another good character issue, though there are a few issues. It's a fill-in artist, though Banks is still credited on the cover. I'm not really familiar with either guy (though I've definitely heard of Cully Hammner), but art is hit and miss. Donna is very sexy, drawn almost anime style. Kyle, OTOH, looks weird... older and heavier than he's supposed to be. I think I like it overall, though.

It's clear there's a spark between Kyle and Donna, even when they're talking about their exes. Kyle admits he had a crush on Wonder Girl when he was a teenager, which is cute. Strangely, Donna says she's never heard of Green Day or Nine Inch Nails, and says she's old... seems like Cyborg or Beast Boy would have some tunes blasting in Titans Tower, but maybe that's me thinking about the cartoon Titans ;)

It's really interesting with Kyle struggling with the secret identity thing... he at first doesn't take his costume off (to protect his identity), until Donna changes into 'civvies'. Then he forgets Green Lantern has no reason to know Radu. Since he's really got no one to protect, he doesn't really need a secret identity, seems to me.

Ring Constructs: Not much fighting.. Kyle uses a mace on the demons. The fun stuff comes in saving Radu, and continues the Marvel pokes... He has Radu first on a variation of Black Knight's Mechanical Horse, then in a Green Fantasticar.

Extras: The letter Column is starting to get Antsy about Hal Jordan. Funnily, in answering the letters, Edddie Berganza says that Hal won't be getting a comic again. Also, the letters really focused on the 'Slamtrak' train, so I'm not the only one who likes that stuff. The stores on Kyle's street are 'Tanghal's' and the other (a barber shop) is 'Won-'... I guess Wong is a barber in the DCU!

Next up: Dr. Polaris!

Green Lantern #59: 'Green Christmas'
    Marz/Banks/Tanghal/Mattsson/DeGuzman

Rating 3.5/5

Plot: It's Christmas eve, and Kyle is heading to Titans Tower for Monitor duty. He's late, and blew off a training session, so he gets yelled at by Arsenal. We then go over how he's reluctant to reveal his identity, but does so after Arsenal tells him the Titans are family. He relieves Donna (who's off to see her son for Christmas.)

After not too long, he starts dozing, and the ring creates an Alex construct to scold him for feeling sad and lonely on Christmas. He blows off monitor duty, and flies around, stopping a couple muggers from robbing a Salvation Army Santa before stumbling on Dr. Polaris in Rockefellfer Center.

A quick fight ensues, and Kyle wins kinda easily, as the crowd goes wild. The cops on the scene ask him if he's going to bask in the glory of the crowd, but he says he's got important things to do, and heads back to monitor duty feeling good about New York and staying there.

Just after he returns, Donna comes back (apparently after getting the Santa thing ready for her son) and gives Kyle a present... Mistletoe. They kiss to end the issue.

Analysis: A good issue, but a little too similar to last issue, where we have soul searching, then a fight.. seems like this issue was mostly there to pimp the Titans.

The art is really good, though, so it's OK. Dr. Polaris is set up like he's going to be important, but doesn't turn up again for quite a while. Apparently, he escaped from a mental institution in Damage (why the heck did Damage have a book, anyway?), and gets carted back at the end of the fight, mumbling that his name is Emerson, not Dr. Polaris.

Apparently, some time has past, as Kyle says he's been doing this 'for a few months'... so either there are some 'untold tales' to tell, or he was in space for longer than it seemed... despite it being 9 issues, it feels like only a month or so should have gone by, plus however long he was in space.

I really hate that we need Roy Harper to tell us the Titans are a family.. the REAL Titans just were, no one needed to say it. I had forgotten about Donna making the first move on Kyle,.. that makes me feel a bit better about it. :)

Incidently, why the heck to the TITANS have monitor duty? That seems way to formal for the them. Ok, I'll stop....

Ring Contructs: Kyle uses a crane to pry Impulse off him when he greets him like Dino on the Flintstones, and an evil-ish looking elf to catch a present Donna drops.

On monitor duty, we see him using a old school ball and paddle, and playing poker with a green cowboy , before he gets a lecture from Alex... which Kyle says the ring did on it's own.

In fight #1, he knocks the muggers out with a reindeer, then literally giftwraps them for the police. Fight #2 shows him attempting (and failing ) to use chains on Dr. Polaris, then using a Taser to take him out. We also get a giant vice grip (to put the Prometheus statue back), and a giant snowman (to save the tree).

Extras: Nothing in town, but we do see Kyle's sketch pad during monitor duty... it's awesome. He's got Anime Wonder Girl (big eyes and huge..er... tracts of land), The Wonder Twins Monkey, the Nine Inch Nails Logo, Hal Jordan with an Arrow through his head, a Superman 'S', and 'Rayner Rules' in a cool font.

The letters are about #54, and people go from mad to sad about Alex... not a word about Hal Jordan, though... I wonder if that was part of the point?

Next up: Major Force gets his!

Guy Gardner: Warrior #27: 'Capital Punishment part 1: Wake up Call'

Smith/Byrd/Davis/Chaifetz/DeGuzman

Rating 3.5/5

Plot: Guy gets a medal for saving the president (last issue), then gets an 'atta boy' from Superman, who tells him he can sympathize with him about being the last of his kind. (This is just after the 'Warrior' thing kicked in, and they retconned Guy into being the last of an alien race)

Steel then stops by next to offer congrats, but they get attacked by Sledge, who we find out was an earlier, less successful creation of the shadowy organization that brought us Major Force. After a longish fight, they drop the Washington Monument on him and call it a day.

Guy gets home to find Major Force, who comments how his mom has a small refrigerator.

Analysis: No Kyle at all, but important set up for my favorite Kyle team up. It also maybe the only time I get to mention Steel in this thread (who was a VERY close 2nd to being the guy I did reviews for). Funny how Guy is pretty related to the GL mythos, and under the same editor as the Green Lantern book, yet hasn't has any 'screen time' with Kyle yet, other than 1 panel during Zero Hour.

A slight digression... I read a fair amount of Manga along with American Comics (though not recently), and one thing I've always hated is fanservice.. it just totally throws you out of the story in most cases, and it makes me feel bad that I like a medium that feels it has to be so blatantly exploitative.

I read Batgirl #22 (written by Gail Simone, no less) this morning, and what do I find? Fanservice. I'm frankly shocked and appalled. Perhaps I'm overreacting, but I think showing Barbara Gordon in her underwear for no particular reason is far worse, IMO than the death of Alexandra DeWitt.

You mean the scene at the start when she's changing for her date and talking to her roommate?

She's in her underwear for two panels, neither of which drawn in a sexual or erotic way. I think you're overreacting, that feels to me like a domestic scene - there's no intention to titillate.

Quote Originally Posted by VDCNI View Post
    You mean the scene at the start when she's changing for her date and talking to her roommate?

She's in her underwear for two panels, neither of which drawn in a sexual or erotic way. I think you're overreacting, that feels to me like a domestic scene - there's no intention to titillate.
    A bit, yes, but the fact that it's Gail Simone writing is the thing. I don't think it's as bad as the typical anime fanservice, but it's still unnecessary to the story.. the scene could have gone the same way without it.

Guy Gardner: Warrior #28: Capital Punishment 2: 'Deck the Hood with Blows of Folly'
    Cover by Banks/Davis

Green Lantern #60: Capital Punishment 3
    Marz/Banks/Tanghal/Mattsson/DeGuzman
    Cover by Byrd/Tanghal

Rating: 4/5

Plot: After Guy finds Major Force in him mom's house, he goes crazy, the the two fight.. a lot. Guy has the upper hand most of the time, until MF tosses a gas truck at him... Kyle appears to save the day just in time. Apparently, Guy is much more powerful than the Quorum (Major Force's secret organization, which has been prominent in Guy's comic), so he tosses a school bus full of kids around to make his escape.

The Kyle tells Guy about Women and Refrigerators, and the rush back to Guy's apartment. MF has again done his thing, but it's not Guy's mom, but the cat-sitter instead.
    Guy gets a call from a Quorum traitor just then, and the two heroes rush off the their base, expecting a trap.

The rest of the Quorum, including Guy's brother Mace, attack, but the good guys have rage and righteousness, and gain the upper hand. After defeating the cronies, and finding out the Guy's brother isn't in the Militia suit, they find Mace in a hospital bed, with MF threatening to kill him if Kyle doesn't hand over the ring.

The traitor (only referred to as 'Honey', not sure if that's her name or how Guy always refers to women), bashes him from behind, leading him to kill Mace. The heroes spring into action, and Kyle has MF tied up again, but can't actually kill him... he wants to be a hero. He's getting ready to bring MF in when Guy steps in and kill him as Kyle watches.

The have a little chat afterward, with Guy saying that the world needs both heroes and warriors, kinda corny, but appropriate.
    In the epilogue, Ganthet returns to New York, looking for Kyle.

Analysis: Best part of these issues: The covers:

I just love those, especially since they swapped artists.. what a great cross promotion! If only they didn't follow it up with yet another couple crossovers in Guy Gardner, he might have lasted a little longer. Funnily enough, except for cameo in the next issue (where Guy opens Warriors) and a future Christmas party (that has everyone in the DCU show up), Kyle never graces the pages of 'Warrior' again, depsite Guy running into lots of former Gls, and crossing over with Darkstars. IIRC, Warriors shows up in Green Lantern a few times, though.

Really, this could have been one issue, as of the pages are 1 big fight. Luckily, Banks rocks at drawing fights, so it's really purty to look at :)

Guy is definitely the Han Solo to Kyle's Luke here, and they make sure we know it... Guy even quotes Star Wars during the fight.. 'That catch was one in a million, kid'. It works, though. One thing I thought was really jarring was when MF tossed a car at Guy, he decided to make a political statement mid fight... calling the car a 'rice burner' and saying maybe if it was made with Detroit steel it would have hurt.

As far as Kyle goes, this really establishes what he wants to be, as even vengeance for Alex couldn't get him to not be a hero. It also shows him as very competent, which is nice to see.. too often you get the 'younger guy screws up and the older guy saves him' team up, so it was nice that wasn't the case here.

The dialogue was pretty cliched, but it worked well with the story, so I didn't mind it. What did bother me, is that Kyle says he knew about the fight from the Titans monitor.. why the heck are the Titans monitoring DC? Isn't NY busy enough? I suppose they needed an excuse to get Kyle there, but that just bugged me for some reason.

Ring Constructs: In GGW: Kyle catches the tanker with what looks like a giant beaker, and the school bus on a couple robotic-y legs. Funnily enough, just before he arrives, Guy opines that if he still had a ring, he'd whip up a big catcher's mitt. As the fight begins, Kyle uses a huge robotic fist to pummel MF.

Back in his owm mag, there's ring slinging galore. We get a big gun, a sandbbag wall, a water cannon, and a hot chick in GL earrings blowing kisses (not sure if it's supposed to be someone). Kyle also uses the big robot armor he used before. Once they get MF, he punches him with an 18 wheeler, than restrains him as before, but in a modern STAR labs type set up. We also see the nasty blade from the cover before he decides not to.

Extras: Besides the Star Wars quote, we get another wrestling reference, with Guy throwing a clothesline, and says he was doing it. While it was in GGW, not Green Lantern, I suspect Banks had some hand it that. Letters are back to all happiness and light. Strangely, the GGW letter col has the letters answer by Guy himself, but in a weird 4th wall breaking way that hurt my head.
    No more comic book store ads.. every ad in this one is a house ad... that can't be good.

Next: Picnic on Mars!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire2099 View Post
    Guy Gardner: Warrior #27: 'Capital Punishment part 1: Wake up Call'

Rating 3.5/5

Plot: Guy gets a medal for saving the president (last issue), then gets an 'atta boy' from Superman, who tells him he can sympathize with him about being the last of his kind. (This is just after the 'Warrior' thing kicked in, and they retconned Guy into being the last of an alien race)

Steel then stops by next to offer congrats, but they get attacked by Sledge, who we find out was an earlier, less successful creation of the shadowy organization that brought us Major Force. After a longish fight, they drop the Washington Monument on him and call it a day.
    I've gotta' get all those old Warrior issues. All the Superman/Supergirl/Steel guest spots flew under my radar back in the day.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I've gotta' get all those old Warrior issues. All the Superman/Supergirl/Steel guest spots flew under my radar back in the day.
    There are ALOT of crossovers in Warrior, it seems... the next issues after this is the opening of Warriors' bar, so a million cameos, I'm sure. He crosses with Action after that (for 2 issues, I think) and shortly after THAT, there's a 'Way of the Warrior' Crossover that involved Lobo (maybe all of L.E.G.I.O.N) and the Darkstars.

It's funny, after Kyle came in, they made alot of former GLs Darkstars, but it's GUY's book were alot of that shows up, rather than Kyle's.
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)

Perhaps, probably not !Pharozonk!'s Avatar

Crossovers seemed to be a trend during Marz's run. Every few issues, Kyle would crossover with another book or be part of some DC event going on at the time.
    Last edited by !Pharozonk!; 08-25-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Yeah, there are a TON of places were Kyle appears for a panel or two... he's in like 4 or 5 issues of the pre-Morrison JLA, as the person representing the Titans on a monitor or something. There's signifigant appearances in Superboy, Aquaman, Hitman, and Darkstars I'm planning on hitting, as well as team ups with Flash and Green Arrow.. never mind the Titans/JLA.

Then in his own book, there's the Hero quest story (which has other people coming to the Green Lantern book)... then you have Final Night... he was a busy guy right from the get go!

Green Lantern #61: 'Picnic'
    Marz/A.Smith/Tanghal/Mattsson/DeGuzman
    Rating: 2/5

Plot: Kyle and Donna race to Mars for a picnic. Donna wins, and Kyle has to serve lunch. Donna is worried about losing her son in a custody case (which was discussed in Darkstars the last couple issues there).

Meanwhile, Darkseid decides Kyle is progressing quickly, and sends Kalibak to test him, along with some troops to keep Donna busy.
    The Boom tube booms, and a fight ensues... Kyle is about to lose, when Kalibak stops to try to steal the ring, letting Donna give him a breather, then Kyle kicks butt. Back on Apocolips, Darkseid scolds Kalibak for exceeding his orders.

In the Epilogue, Hal Jordan is shown hitchhiking in Texas...

Analysis: This issues seems a lot like the one just a couple issues ago, where Donna helps Kyle move. Unfortunately, it doesn't really accomplish anything more. The 'race' was fun, at least. The fight with Kalibak and his minions was decent, but not as good as Banks does.

In fact, the art is pretty lousy. He totally gets Donna's Darkstar suit wrong (it's colored incorrectly, and has plan metal shoulder pads, rather than the weird complex things usually shown), and Kyle is HUGE.. he towers over Donna (like 8 inches or so) when they were about the same height last time.
    Plot wise, I had a couple problems... first off, no mention of Major Force? Ok, Donna's worried, but that was kinda a big deal... you'd think Kyle might mention it. Also, what about Kyle racing Donna to the moon got Darkseid's attention? Is is constantly watching him? Or did he think riding a space bike was a brilliant piece of Lantern-ing... the timing is odd. Darkseid's characterization is really good though.

Ring Constructs: During the race, Kyle's on a Lobo-ish motorcycle, and drops construction sawhorses in Donna's path. After he loses, he conjures up an extremely risque French maid to serve lunch.
    During the fight, he uses the usual array of giant guns, a riot shield, and Thor's hammer.

Analysis: Apparently, they're giving out rings in the letter column... this time for id'ing every character in the history spRead from a few issues ago. Weird set of house ads... Sovereign 7 (about to come out), Argus(a mini, I guess), Animaniacs, and Robin. A few non-house ads are back, so I guess last time was an aberration. Strangely, no advertising in the next issue box for either Titans or Darkstars. The art overall is extremely EXTREME, from Kyle having huge muscles to Donna's uniform ripping in just the right place for a boob window.

Perhaps, probably not !Pharozonk!'s Avatar

Gl #61 was my first GL comic I ever read! Glad to see it got reviewed

Quote Originally Posted by The Uncanny Poster View Post
    I feel old.

Quote Originally Posted by The Uncanny Poster View Post

Wow, and you read more? Not the most stellar example, but that is neat! My first was a GLC Quarterly (from a quarter bin), which led me to the 'current' ones (which I think was either #51 or #52).