Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Shelf Life - Jul 11, 2013

With Comic-Con International: San Diego fast approaching, Ron Marz recounts one of the more... [em]bizarre[/em] experiences he's ever had a convention featuring an unexpected dinner guest.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    With Comic-Con International: San Diego fast approaching, Ron Marz recounts one of the more... [em]bizarre[/em] experiences he's ever had a convention featuring an unexpected dinner guest.

Full article here.
    Not an unfamiliar sort of autistic spectrum experience.

Dan Ketch > Johnny Blaze funeralthirst7's Avatar

That guy sounds like a real asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by funeralthirst7 View Post
    That guy sounds like a real asshole.
    No, he sounds like a guy whose brain is wired differently from yours. The fact that he could remember and recite back all that stuff -- no matter how creepy it may seem -- means that you and your work are important to him. It's a wonder, really, how different people's brains work differently.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qnetter View Post
    No, he sounds like a guy whose brain is wired differently from yours. The fact that he could remember and recite back all that stuff -- no matter how creepy it may seem -- means that you and your work are important to him. It's a wonder, really, how different people's brains work differently.
    I agree that it sounds like the awkward fan falls somewhere on the autism spectrum, which would explain why he didn't read the very obvious social cues.

BTW, I think you've confused Ron with funeralthirst 7 here. Ron never said the guy was an asshole, just that the experience was odd. In hindsight it's clear the fan was harmless, but it's understandable that Ron would be concerned when he mentioned his kids. I would be freaking out, too.

And I think you're right that Ron's work clearly meant a lot to him. I'm pretty socially awkward myself, so I can relate to people overwhelmed in the presence of greatness. I went to Dallas Comic-Con a few years back, and I swear I had to work myself up just to speak to John Romita, Jr. (who is a super friendly guy and not intimidating in the slightest).
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Swear to God, it wasn't me!