Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Quantum and Woody, #1

Valiant scores again with another great first issue: "Quantum and Woody" #1 by James Asmus and Tom Fowler.

Full review here.

It's a pretty lame retelling of the old series origin : /

I'll give it another issue...

I enjoyed the book. I recently re-read the original run by Priest and Bright, and I feel that this new run captures the essences of the characters without feeling dated. I didn't feel that it was a lame retelling, but a necessary introduction of the characters to readers who may have missed the original, while bringing them into the current Valiant universe.
    Currently reading: Everything Valiant, East of West, Fables, Fairest, Saga, Manhattan Projects, Jupiter's Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
    It's a pretty lame retelling of the old series origin : /

I'll give it another issue...
    I'm glad you are going to give it another shot, but if you feel it's a lame retelling of the old series, you should go back to reading the New 52.
    Currently reading: Everything Valiant, East of West, Fables, Fairest, Saga, Manhattan Projects, Jupiter's Legacy

It never fails to put a smile on my face when I see another great review for anything Valiant. Although I'm not usually a fan of this artist, it still fits with the tone of this book and compliments the writing. The characters are fleshed out well like everything else this company has put out and hopefully this will hold me over till Harbinger Wars comes out.
    Be more constructive with your feedback -- Jemaine

I was very pleasantly surprised with this book. I was expecting a lot more slap stick, but it had a surprising amount of drama and emotion. Asmus struck a great balance here and Fowler's art is spot on. Is it more or less a retelling of the original #1? More or less. But so were A&A #1 and XO #1 (though in those cases they retold the #0 issues).
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Posehn and Duggan's Deadpool.
    Giffen and DeMatteis on Larfleeze.
    Now, Quantum and Woody by Asmus.

This is indeed a golden era for comedy superhero books.
    Last edited by ryab; 07-11-2013 at 04:38 PM.

I was actually kind of embarrassed for Valiant while reading this turd. One miss out of sex isn't too bad I guess, but there are so many stronger titles waiting for what Valiant can bring. Really feel bad they felt a need to prioritize this.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

I was not a fan of Q&W "back in the day", I read the first couple or three issues and decided it was not for me. It was as exciting as Trinity Angels, actually it was better, TA made Q&W feel like high art but I digress. I questioned why VEI would go this route, there are clearly better IPO's and characters to use. However, I did say I'd try the first issue...maybe arc, depending on how issue 1 went. That I would hope they reworked it enough so it didn't stand in right field while the rest of the VU was busy.

So, I admit I went in skeptical. A bit of a chip on my shoulder.

The Positives:
    1-Great bit of set up. They did not assume only long time Q&W fans would be reading and jump right into the schtick.
    2-Speaking of schtick, it was not(in this issue) so over the top to take me out of it.
    3-The brotherly angle worked for me. The flipping of the script of who the "protector" brother was was well played imo.
    4-The sardonic quality of Woody and the narration attached was better than if they go "Deadpool"(like I recall the orig). Example: "And with that comment(lifts jerks wallet)..you win our prize", "And I'm the black sheep of the family", That car is totally stolen
    5-One possible tie to the greater VU already, an Infinity Cult, yes?

The Negative:
    1-Not really digging the art. I've seen much, much worse granted. I'm just keen on the style but it's not enough to stop me.

Yep, just one negative I could think of. Jury is out on this goat thing.
    If you had said I'd get more character development in issue #1 of Q&W vs Shadowman #1 I'd have laughed, but here we are. Shadowman vastly improved so lets see where Q&W leads a few issues down the road.

So, I'll be getting the first arc.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by Unity808 View Post
    I'm glad you are going to give it another shot, but if you feel it's a lame retelling of the old series, you should go back to reading the New 52.
    BEST QUOTE EVER!
    Marvel:Scarlet Spider, Young Avengers, Revolutionary War
    DC:Wonder Woman, Injustice, Sandman Overture
    A Bunch other labels

For me, the art made this issue but I've always been a big fan of Fowler. Tom's work is expressive and energetic, it makes me feel like something is happening in every panel. The story was fine, like Bugsy said it was good to see some intensity drive the the humor that Q&A are based on. Looking forward to next month!

I really enjoyed the art. I thought it was a great fit for the book, and thought this issue was a fine setup for the series. I never read the original Q&W and now want to check it out.

True confession: the previews made me want to pick up the current series. It looked hilarious! And I loved it when Q&A fight over the protective suit, which then rips.