Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any former monthly subscribers around here?

I know there's probably not much that can be said on this topic, but I'm wondering how many of fellow readers here used to get their comics in the mail like I did. When I was a kid, there wasn't any comic shop I could get to easily and the convenience stores rarely had spinner racks. So, if I had one comic that I really wanted, I usually had to send away for a subscription. This was the '90s, so my various subscriptions went as follows: First, following just after the first two Batman movies I had a subscription to Batman right around the time of "Knightfall". Then, when I became a big X-Men fan because of the Fox cartoon, I subscribed to Uncanny X-Men with that little subscription card they put on the back of the Toy Biz X-Men action figures. This was in '94 around the time of "Phalanx Covenant". That somehow evolved into a subscription to Spider-Man Adventures which was based on the Fox cartoon and which later changed into Marvel Adventures which was an anthology of kind of cartoon-inspired Marvel tales. Then, after a break, I came back to comics and got a subscription to Young Justice that lasted for most of its existence.

You know, I don't know if they even still have subscriptions for comics, but it was always a really cool feeling when you got that comic book you were waiting for in the mail.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

I used to get several Archie double-digests in the mail, plus free Archie comics would come in the mail ever so often.

Had several friends who subscribe to either of the Big 2...but comics would never arrive in excellent condition, always a ding here, a crease there...and certain comic shops began to offer subscriptions with new issue discounts (East Coast comics used to offer new books at 60% cover...they're the first store I ever ordered books from with my parent's credit cards)
    Last edited by Jezebel Bond; 07-06-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    I used to get several Archie double-digests in the mail, plus free Archie comics would come in the mail ever so often.

Had several friends who subscribe to either of the Big 2...but comics would never arrive in excellent condition, always a ding here, a crease there...and certain comic shops began to offer subscriptions with new issue discounts (East Coast comics used to offer new books at 60% cover...they're the first store I ever ordered books from with my parent's credit cards)
    I never cared much about condition. I just wanted my comics fix. I still have an old Batman comic that I ruined because I took it out into the woods to read and water dripped on the cover. Specifically, the ink of a picture of the moon got all smudged and runny. It was an issue featuring a one-issue villainess named The Harpy who was connected to Maxie Zeus.

An aunt got me a subscription to MAD one year...
    Pulling for: HATE!; League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; Doktor Sleepless; S.H.I.E.L.D.; Sergio Aragones Funnies; The Manhattan Projects; MIND MGMT; Nightcrawler

Way back when... I had subscriptions to Fantastic Four, Avengers and X-Men. This was before comic shops and the local Lawsons couldn't be counted on to get every issue.

When I was a wee lad, the Catholic school I went to had magazine drives, so I got to subscribe to one book for the drive. The first I ever got was Iron Man, it started at the end of the Midas Saga and ran through the late one-teens of Iron Man. Later I had one year subscriptions to Avenger sin Spider-Man circa '82, so it was the Stern-Romita Jr. era of ASM with stories like Spidey vs. Juggernaut, Slyde, Black Cat etc. and the second Shooter era of Avengers with the fall of Hank Pym. In high school, back with the magazine drive thing, I had subs for Avengers, West Coast Avengers and Uncanny X-Men (it was the Mutant Massacre era for the X-Men). I had already found a comic shop by then, but I subbed anyways because I didn't want to go out and sell any subscriptions so I just bought my quota to sell myself.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

While I was in college (1975-80), I had subscriptions to Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Captain America, Conan the Barbarian, Daredevil, Defenders, Doctor Strange, Epic Illustrated, Fantastic Four, Howard the Duck (comic and magazine), Invaders, Iron Man, Machine Man, Marvel Premiere, Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Two-in-One, Moon Knight, Power Man and Iron Fist, Spectacular Spider-Man, Thor, Tomb of Dracula (comic and magazine), What If? and X-Men, though not all at once, since some titles were added as others were canceled. The last of these lapsed in the spring of '81, by which time I had a pull list at O'Leary's Comics.

Cei-U!
    I summon my itty-bitty dorm mailbox!
    Last edited by Cei-U!; 07-06-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    I never cared much about condition. I just wanted my comics fix.
    Back then I wasn't a nitpicky fusspot either.

Then I turned 11...
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I never had a mail subscription back in the day, but I have one now, as I am subscribed to Life with Archie.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

I had subscriptions to all the core Batman titles and the New Titans soon after I began reading, circa 1989. I believe I renewed those subscriptions once and then soon found my tastes too finicky for 12 month commitments after that.

I still have the following mementos from this period:

1. Two copies of Batman #444 because I'd already purchased one at the store, not knowing how soon the subscription would kick in.

2. Batman #449 with poodle teeth marks at the top because my dog loved shredding anything that dropped through the mail slot. After that, we got the mail carrier to leave them outside.

3. A tracing I made of a pretty cool image of all the core DC heroes standing on top of one another that came on the reverse side of a subscription renewal letter I received from DC.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Subscribe to three titles, and get a fourth one free!

That's the house ad that got me to subscribe to Conan the barbarian, uncanny X-men, Man-Thing and Avengers. At the end of the subscription, I used a monthly mail order service (Heroes World) which was of course more versatile than a fixed subscription.

The comics were mailed flat, but the mailman wold often fold them... and there were a few subscription issues that never made it to my mailbox. Ah, and when Man-Thing was cancelled before my subscription was done, I didn't get a refund or anything.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Subscribe to three titles, and get a fourth one free!

That's the house ad that got me to subscribe to Conan the barbarian, uncanny X-men, Man-Thing and Avengers. At the end of the subscription, I used a monthly mail order service (Heroes World) which was of course more versatile than a fixed subscription.

The comics were mailed flat, but the mailman wold often fold them... and there were a few subscription issues that never made it to my mailbox. Ah, and when Man-Thing was cancelled before my subscription was done, I didn't get a refund or anything.
    In my experience, when a series is cancelled before a subscription runs out, the subscription department would call and ask me to switch to a different, similarly priced title to fill out the rest of the subscription.

I never really had bad experiences with my subscriptions. The only one and which was expected was when Young Justice went into the "Sins of Youth" crossover. I had to find an actual comic shop so I could read the event.

I subbed to Marvel for a bit when they had their "four titles for the price of three" deal in the early 80s. Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man and the fourth was either Captain America or Avengers. No, I didn't sub to X-Men, believe it or not. They came in a plain brown wrapper that was snug enough to not let the comic slide out. Unfortunately, they were also easy to roll, and the idiots at the post office started mixing up my titles with another guy in the area with a subscription, as though it was too much work to look at the address labels.

When I was 12 we moved from a town that had a great news stand that had tons of comics to a small town that had no stores that sold comics. So until I was 16 & could drive I subscribed to Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Hulk....Then at 17 I discovered my first comic book store !!

I had some Marvel subscriptions in the late 70s-early 80s. This was when kids used to go door to door selling magazines, and I was allowed to get two subscriptions at a time. My first two were Marvel Team-Up and Micronauts. Later on I had ones for Avengers, Defenders, Marvel Two-in-One, Uncanny X-Men, Rom, Doctor Who... I think that's it.

It was so exciting to see that plain brown wrapper in the mailbox! And even though it only wrapped around the book, they usually came in good condition. Doctor Who was a direct sales / Baxter paper title, and that came in an envelope.

When I got older I started ordering from Westfield Comics and getting those boxes of comics was like Xmas every month!