Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The final part of Sneddon's Zenith articles is up.

http://comicsbeat.com/mad-mental-cra...zenith-part-3/

There's a point worth questioning:

It shouldn’t matter how successful or otherwise Morrison has been since, though of course it’s far harder for those with more to risk to push on creator rights – no one in comics is that rich, believe me.
    I don't know anyone with a large house in the West of Scotland and one in Los Angeles like Morrison has, plus if anything, if you've made your millions off the back of creator owned projects then there's the argument that you should morally make the fight yours to help other people, but the idea that if you've little to lose that it makes it easier to fight for creators rights is just nonsense.

This is sort of tangential to this thread, but if you look at the solicitation for the new edition of the Authority featuring the Millar run that's coming out in October, it now has Morrison listed in the creator credits. In fact, it has him listed first before Millar and Peyer, who were actually credited on the original issues of the series. (Which, admittably, could just be the way they wrote the solictation.) Now, I'm glad that Grant is finally getting official credit for the work he put in with Millar, but it seems disingenuous to list him first (if this isn't just an error).

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Unless there's a lot more than we know.

Which could be but I find it a bit hard.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    This is sort of tangential to this thread, but if you look at the solicitation for the new edition of the Authority featuring the Millar run that's coming out in October, it now has Morrison listed in the creator credits. In fact, it has him listed first before Millar and Peyer, who were actually credited on the original issues of the series. (Which, admittably, could just be the way they wrote the solictation.) Now, I'm glad that Grant is finally getting official credit for the work he put in with Millar, but it seems disingenuous to list him first (if this isn't just an error).

I'll assume it's DC promoting their man first now that Mark's made it clear he's never going to go back to DC, but listing Morrison first in the finished book would indeed be disingenuous as although he wrote the last issue of Millar's run (for those who don't know, Millar was exceptionally ill at the time, so Morrison stepped in to help him out) it was from Millar's plot. Yes, Morrison should finally get a credit but not the main credit.

I do wonder what prompted this ?

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    I'll assume it's DC promoting their man first now that Mark's made it clear he's never going to go back to DC, but listing Morrison first in the finished book would indeed be disingenuous as although he wrote the last issue of Millar's run (for those who don't know, Millar was exceptionally ill at the time, so Morrison stepped in to help him out) it was from Millar's plot. Yes, Morrison should finally get a credit but not the main credit.

I do wonder what prompted this ?
    Me, too. I mean, everyone knew about this, but this is a strange time for DC to officially acknowledge Grant's role in Millar's run. I'm guessing they're assuming that Grant's name on the cover will sell more copies-- and they have done a good job of compiling an enduring "Grant Morrison Library" over the past few years-- but it seems intentionally provacative on DC's part.

Also, Millar did script an issue or two of The Invisibles, v. 1 when Grant was at death's door, so that Authority was originally a "pay you back" gesture that eventually went sour.

Me, too. I mean, everyone knew about this, but this is a strange time for DC to officially acknowledge Grant's role in Millar's run. I'm guessing they're assuming that Grant's name on the cover will sell more copies-- and they have done a good job of compiling an enduring "Grant Morrison Library" over the past few years-- but it seems intentionally provacative on DC's part.

Also, Millar did script an issue or two of The Invisibles, v. 1 when Grant was at death's door, so that Authority was originally a "pay you back" gesture that eventually went sour.
    I doubt that you will ever see Millar's credit on any reprint, though.

There's a period of about five years where it's hard to separate what input Morrison and Millar had in each others scripts as they were collaborating so often, plus living in Glasgow meant this was easily done, and yes, Mark did help out when Grant was also incredibly ill during writing the Invisibles but there was no 'pay you back' as it was just mates helping each other out. The whole 'I didn't get a credit for The Authority and The Ultimates' misses out that Millar never got a credit for,say, the JLA issues he helped out on and vice versa.

So yes, this is all very puzzling.

As a little aside to this, I can finally plug my old mucker Andy Hope's version of Fantomex that Marvel will be bringing out in the autumn.

There's a period of about five years where it's hard to separate what input Morrison and Millar had in each others scripts as they were collaborating so often, plus living in Glasgow meant this was easily done, and yes, Mark did help out when Grant was also incredibly ill during writing the Invisibles but there was no 'pay you back' as it was just mates helping each other out. The whole 'I didn't get a credit for The Authority and The Ultimates' misses out that Millar never got a credit for,say, the JLA issues he helped out on and vice versa.

So yes, this is all very puzzling.

As a little aside to this, I can finally plug my old mucker Andy Hope's version of Fantomex that Marvel will be bringing out in the autumn.
    That's what I meant by "pay you back". Not a quid pro quo arrangement, per se, but that they were looking out for each other and covering each other's books when they were ill. That went sour after The Authority.

The final part of Sneddon's Zenith articles is up.

http://comicsbeat.com/mad-mental-cra...zenith-part-3/

There's a point worth questioning:

I don't know anyone with a large house in the West of Scotland and one in Los Angeles like Morrison has, plus if anything, if you've made your millions off the back of creator owned projects then there's the argument that you should morally make the fight yours to help other people, but the idea that if you've little to lose that it makes it easier to fight for creators rights is just nonsense.
    You're being quoted in the article's comment section Mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppetmaker Grae View Post
    You're being quoted in the article's comment section Mob.
    Blimey, so I am, and Sneddon gives a politicians answer.

You're famous!
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    You're famous!
    I won't forget all the little people I leave in my wake.

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

So I finally got a chance to watch the vid for that Morrison documentary
    Sweet monkey Jesus idk wtf I just watched
    Dude is crazy
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

A lot of it is show as it plays well with fans, especially in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    So I finally got a chance to watch the vid for that Morrison documentary
    Sweet monkey Jesus idk wtf I just watched
    Dude is crazy
    I watched it too just now.
    I can say that I felt put "out into the desert", like "on the verge of Death" with "living it", like some serious hanging "with the Gods".
    And all of that in that same Scottish accent.

I need a drink I think.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 07-13-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: 'Verge', not 'virge'.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.