Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Temporary Madness - Jul 5, 2013

Steven grant returns with the first of a two-part column looking at the road creators should take when one of their comic book properties gets optioned for the big screen, using "2 Guns" to illustrate his points.

Full article here.

Good article. I fully agree with pretty much everything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Meanwhile, until recently, being functionally an offshoot of Warner Bros. Pictures hasn't especially helped DC accomplish much except survive, partly because those running Warners viewed comics with disdain and partly due to general Time-Warner dysfunctionality that encouraged its various wings to view each other as rivals rather than allies.
    This is why it pisses me off when some ignorant fan blames DC and only DC for a movie or a TV series he didn't like and compares them to Marvel's. Marvel was smart and created Marvel Studios. DC can't do that. Warner is in control and I suspect DC is only consulted when the director, producer or whoever feels like.
    "Corruptus In Extremis"

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

Sometimes, it only takes networking with the right person. The late Steve Gerber was one; he was VERY good at finding "ins" for friends of his whose writing he liked (and was very good about making friends). He tried to get me a job writing once; he might have even succeeded if I had actually been interested in at as anything more than a hobby (and, considering the state of the comics market at the time and since, it would have paid almost as much).

What Grant describes as the situation with Time-Warner reminds me of what happened when TW took over Atari. It was one of the major players in coin-op market, and the major player in the home game console market. But TW, in its wisdom, split up Atari into divisions, and essentially the heads of these divisions saw their divisions as independent fiefdoms. And started entering cutthroat competition, not with other companies, but with other divisions of Atari. Rivalry between the divisions was, if anything, encouraged, the result being that division heads treated Atari's competitors better than other divisions of Atari. So, when the video game crash of the early 80's came, Atari died due to that cut-throat competition... with Atari.
    Bart Lidofsky

Quote Originally Posted by Kolymar View Post
    Good article. I fully agree with pretty much everything you said.

This is why it pisses me off when some ignorant fan blames DC and only DC for a movie or a TV series he didn't like and compares them to Marvel's. Marvel was smart and created Marvel Studios. DC can't do that. Warner is in control and I suspect DC is only consulted when the director, producer or whoever feels like.
    It's a little more complicated than that, these days when DC's becoming more directly integrated with Warners. But, no, they can't start a competing film operation. Warners probably couldn't create a rival comics company now either. (20 years ago, who knows.) Maybe with Legendary out of the picture now, DC will be given more of a Marvel-esque role in development of DC-based films. The odds aren't good, but anything might be happening behind the scenes.

- Grant