Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Default Comic Con Questions

I have never been to a con but am really thinking I should go to the Fan Expo in Toronto. I mean, I can admit that I am a nerd and I think it is time to go, even though I am not the type to wanna don a costume. I basically want to just immerse myself in all things comic related for a few days, see some books and back issues I have never seen, meet some people and of course buy! I just have a couple questions for any con regulars here...

1.Do they charge you to have books signed? I know Neal Adams and Stan Lee are supposed to be present. I have heard Stan charges for autographs but what about someone like Adams? I would love to get my Batman 251 signed by him as it is a personal fav of my collection.
    2. Are there usually a bunch of older writers/artists? The featured list only seems to include newer names but I would love nothing more to see some older artists/writers/pencilers from the 60's and 70's. Just wondering if there are any con regulars from this department. A friend of mine went to a con in Traverse City Michigan a month or so ago and met Don Heck who worked on the early Captain Marvel...would like to meet a guy like that and have him sign some stuff just as much as a big name like Adams.

Finally, whats the best deal/purchase/experience you have had at a con? And are there any fellow Canucks (or Southern neighbours) who are attending?

1. It depends on the person. It's basically up to the individual creators to decide if they will charge. Neal Adams was charging $10 at the last show I saw him at, but I have heard he sometimes only charges $5. Stan was $60 at the last show. Many others are free, though. And some have slightly more unusual fees. Mike Grell, for instance, would sign one book free but charged $5 for any additional books. I've heard that George Perez now charges, but only if you are having the book CGC'd. Similarly, I think it's Len Wein who charges double if you are doing a CGC book.

But again, a lot of them don't charge anything.

2. This depends on the show. The event organizers set up who will be in attendance. Some shows skew more heavily towards pop culture stuff, and those often only have newer, contemporary artists. Other shows are more about the comics and often have lots of older guys. I took a look at the guest list for Toronto and considering how pop culturey it seems, they actually have a really strong lineup of creators. However, not a lot of older creators per se. Besides Stan Lee and Neal Adams, Walt Simonson and David Michelinie are going to be there; they are more Bronze Age guys than Silver Age. The other big names that jumped out at me were Mike Mignola, Joe Jusko, Dale Keown, Garth Ennis, James Robinson, Stuart Immonen, Todd McFarlane, Tim Sale and Louise Simonson. It looks like a good show, but not really many of the older guys. There honestly aren't that many Silver and Golden Age guys left at this point, unfortunately.

Best deal I made was probably trading a high grade Batman #171 I bought for $20 do a dealer for high grade copies of ASM #39 and #40. At a later show I then traded those to a different dealer for a F+ copy of Avengers #7 and a VF copy of Avengers #8. Best experience is getting to meet the creators. Walt Simonson, Mike Grell and George Perez stand out, as of course does Stan Lee, who I was too awestruck at the time to say a word to.

Also, Don Heck died in 1995 so that must have been one craaaazy convention.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post

Also, Don Heck died in 1995 so that must have been one craaaazy convention.
    Hahah I did not even look on that one. All I know is the guy said he worked on the covers (apparently) and helped design the character. Maybe it was Roy Thomas? Or else some old fool lying through his teeth. I did some reading and you are right, I guess there really aren't a lot of the older guys left. Oh well, I still feel going, see if I cant knock a few off my want list for a good deal.