Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Catalyst Comix, #1

"Catalyst Comix" #1 has a great story structure as it brings back the old Golden City characters, but Joe Casey, Dan McDaid, Paul Maybury and Ulises Farinas's comic feels a little overwritten.

Full review here.

Man, this was a great issue -- loved the three distinct, yet interlocked stories. The art was amazing, and I don't know what Casey was drinking, but he was channeling the best of Grant Morrison and Jack Kirby. One of the most enjoyable books I've read in a while simply in terms of the energy it conveyed, and the fact that it embraced the genre in all its geeky glory. And I also enjoyed the one page suggestion/rationalization for the reboot of the Comics Greatest World line (ala Vortex being responsible). Really awesome way to acknowledge the past but completely recast it for a new set of readers.

I believe this is the best of the new Comics Greatest World books (at least for a first issue).

What an awesome, dense, fun book. Basically echoing everything jsf says above. I haven't been following this project so wasn't sure what to expect...just great stuff. Totally unfamiliar with CGW (besides Ghost, X...Barb Wire), will have to invesitgate.

I liked it, but wary also because Joe Casey is writing it. He can do brilliant, but he also tends to write himself off the rails. I will pick up the next issue for sure though.

I liked it, but I'm a bit confused. This doesn't seem like a full reboot. Whereas X and Ghost both make no reference to anything earlier. Also, wasn't Frank killed by Vortex? Now he's back, with some vague references to Vortex, in what seems like CGW set a bit later on?

I also preferred the complete original Titan costume. The coat thing is a bit dated and it tries too hard.

Beyond that, I liked it, and am thrilled to see CGW back in some form. But I'm really waiting for a line-wide relaunch. Vortex, Barb Wire, Hero Zero, King Tiger, Motorhead, Division 13.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

Like reviewer i also found it a bit "overwritten", at some points i wasn't sure what was i reading and if those lines had anything to do with what was happening.
    lots of dots

After both Ghost and X I was looking forward to Catalyst Comix #1.
    I disagree that this was the best relaunch of the three to date.
    It felt a bit phrenetic and busy at times in both the Titan and Amazing Grace segments. I felt the best written installment was the third with Warmaker.

I'm going to get the next issue but miss Ghost already. Why is there not more Ghost out already, it's been about 3 months since something!!
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

I thought the Ghost reboot was plain awful

Meanwhile, I picked up a Dark Horse superhero comic book with Joe Casey's name on it and I got exactly what I was promised.