Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Damn I didn't even think of that! I think its time for a re-read.
    If one of the seven dragons, the Ogdru Hem, is manifesting itself via the Black Flame (and Rasputin, Hecate etc.), then I suspect that Sledgehammer is the opposite of that...but I don't know what to call it. Thus what is the opposite of Vril, is there a name for Ogdru-Hem-power or is it just Ogdru Hem? These are hypothetical questions, I just can't help but ask them out loud.
    Matt Strackbein
    Longmont, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Uk View Post
    Wow great 1st issue and a definite sign that this character is going somewhere. Perfect release to have just before/overlapping the modern age Black Flame story that starts in Jan. I've held off theorizing for now but do people think The Black Flame in the current series could be this 30's black flame? Or maybe the previous two were mere manifestations/hosts of the pure Black Flame entity which now walks the earth?!

On another note, poor old 'Sledgehammer' is being hit with some serious cosmology and although it's enlightening for all us Mignolaverse readers I can't help feeling this poor guy is going to meet a bitter end without feeling any the wiser. A handful of issues in and Mignola, Arcudi et al. have created another majestic, doom laden character who has become instant compelling reading. Masterful stuff.

Weird that a series set against the harsh material reality of WW2 might turn out to be the book that sheds more light on the cosmic/metaphysical stuff than any of the other Mignola book!
    It would seem to be an exterior force inhabiting different people to me. It seems the easiest explanation for there being more than one host and the introduction of the newest one seemed to heavily suggest that idea; that you become the black flame by calling some other worldly power into yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Strackbein View Post
    If one of the seven dragons, the Ogdru Hem, is manifesting itself via the Black Flame (and Rasputin, Hecate etc.), then I suspect that Sledgehammer is the opposite of that...but I don't know what to call it. Thus what is the opposite of Vril, is there a name for Ogdru-Hem-power or is it just Ogdru Hem? These are hypothetical questions, I just can't help but ask them out loud.
    This is a pretty fantastic idea. I had been struggling to figure what the opposite of the vril power would be if in fact the juxtaposition between the sledgehammer and the Balack Flame was meant to go beyond just the basic similarities, but I think now that the forces of evil are fairly well known as the Ogdru-Hem so then I should have been wondering about who exactly it is who gave humanity the power of Vril. Who knows if we'll ever get that answer, or even if our speculation is correct; but it is fun to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Strackbein View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This is a pretty fantastic idea. I had been struggling to figure what the opposite of the vril power would be if in fact the juxtaposition between the sledgehammer and the Balack Flame was meant to go beyond just the basic similarities, but I think now that the forces of evil are fairly well known as the Ogdru-Hem so then I should have been wondering about who exactly it is who gave humanity the power of Vril. Who knows if we'll ever get that answer, or even if our speculation is correct; but it is fun to think about.
    In my first Hell Notes article I wrote a little about the black flames in the Extra Credit section. It came from reading Hellboy: The Island. When the Ogdru Jahad are created they are lifeless even though they have been given the Fire of Heaven. When night falls, the Fire of Heaven darkens. I think this may be black flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    In my first Hell Notes article I wrote a little about the black flames in the Extra Credit section. It came from reading Hellboy: The Island. When the Ogdru Jahad are created they are lifeless even though they have been given the Fire of Heaven. When night falls, the Fire of Heaven darkens. I think this may be black flame.
    ooo a most excellent connection and one with some startling implications as to the nature of what is going on in Manhattan. If this Blackflame is the true avatar of that energy that gave life to the Ogdru Jahad then he may be able to exert power over the Ogdru-Hem.

Which of course makes sense as the reason that Zinco was playing with the Blackflame was to gain control of the frog people so it would seem that connection has been explored since the Island was first published and many like myself just missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Anti-vril = "Black Flame". Too perfect!

So Pope created an anti-vril suit to become the Black Flame. Makes total sense if he already knew the Sledgehammer 44 story / history, which we are just now reading about -- maybe Pope was inspired by Sledge's suit. Maybe there was a revenge motive even...assuming Sledge kicks Diestel's ass by the end of Lightning War issue 3. Who know's, I may be reading into the revenge motive, it's just that odd collection of Pope's which seemingly included Diestel's corpse...well, that corpse could be a result of the end of this series? It could be some twisted irony that the next Black Flame was inspired be the guy that defeated the original version in WWII.
    Matt Strackbein
    Longmont, CO

After reading second issue--
    Oh yeah, Black Flame can fly. But the Hammer can fly too. Because...why not?!
    love this issue. Steel Hawk's reappearance, Usage of Mock-up planes, Good stuffs.

By the way, Third Panel from Page Nineteen seems to have a problem with Speech Balloon.
    Isn't it supposed to be Pilot's Balloon?

The final issue is nearly here, so check out this Sledgehammer sketch from Jason Latour:

That's so awesome! I can't wait for this to come out.

Last edited by Middenway; 01-28-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Fixing link problem

Last edited by Middenway; 01-29-2014 at 02:23 PM.

What a fantastic story. Great art and great dialogues!

I get the feeling this isn't the last we'll see of Patrick. Or at least I really, really, really hope it's not.

I just finished book two (waiting for this weeks pull). I am digging it so far!!!! Can't wait to read how it ends!

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    What a fantastic story. Great art and great dialogues!

I get the feeling this isn't the last we'll see of Patrick. Or at least I really, really, really hope it's not.
    I hope it isn't either, I'd love to see a conversation/ team up with Lobster Johnson.