Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sledgehammer 44: The Lightning War

The title was announced in Hellmail. Coming later this year, a three-issue story by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi with Laurence Campbell on art duties.

All over this! I liked the first Sledgehammer 44 a lot.

I'm really only beginning to dip my toes in the the Mignola-verse, but it's great so far!

I'm excited, though I haven't read the first series yet. What if the story goes out of 1944? Sledgehammer 45 just doesn't have the same ring to it

I think it will always be Sledgehammer 44. I feel like it's more of a reference to the year the armour made its debut, than to the year the story takes place. It could get pretty weird otherwise when we get to Sledgehammer 2008...

So glad we're getting more, I loved the first series.

I hope we'll be getting a lot more. It really is a fascinating idea.

I'm glad we're getting more sledgehammer but kinda sad Latour isn't returning for it.
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    www.mscorley.blogspot.com

I'm kind of torn. I loved Jason Latour, and I wish they'd kept the same artist on the series, because its always that much more fun to have a continuing artist. But Laurence Campbell is also great, so I can't but be excited for what he's got in store for us.

I really hope Jason Latour will be back in the Mignolaverse soon. I really enjoy his stuff. And he really clicked with that World War II stuff.

Losing Latour is a bummer as I really enjoyed his cartooned look. It kind of reminded me of Tintin.

If anyone's interested, here's the wiki article on a World War II tactic by the Germans called "Blitzkrieg" (translation: Lightning War), which is where the English word "blitz" comes from.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Losing Latour is a bummer as I really enjoyed his cartooned look. It kind of reminded me of Tintin.
    Yeah, his work felt very European to me (and I love Tintin). I know some people didn't like his noses, but I absolutely loved them. His style is fantastic.
    Last edited by Middenway; 07-04-2013 at 12:05 AM.

I wish Latour had stuck at it as well - it still feels a bit off when the main series jumps artists, so I was hoping the Sledgehammer line would just stick with the one. Give it its own distinctive look. Laurence Campbell is fantastic, so no complaints there, but I would still prefer the consistency of having one artist take ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    If anyone's interested, here's the wiki article on a World War II tactic by the Germans called "Blitzkrieg" (translation: Lightning War), which is where the English word "blitz" comes from.
    Yeah, his work felt very European to me (and I love Tintin). I know some people didn't like his noses, but I absolutely loved them. His style is fantastic.
    The distinct noses were pretty cool, it made the whole book have a very unique feel

I hope the change in art styles doesn't affect the tone of the book too much for me. Latour's work was key to that in the first two-parter. Campbell's is a much more refined, realistic style. The armor should look pretty cool though, I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    unfortunately the solicitations sent out yesterday misspell it 'lightening' - embarrassing, unless it is really is a story about a war involving bleach

Mike Mignola's Iron Supersoldier!
    Sledgehammer 44: Lightening War #1 (of 3)

How else are you supposed to get bloodstains out of your uniform after a war?