Default What Did You Read - July 2013

I think we may have skipped a few months here and there, but I'll bring it back.

Other than the "off the rack" stuff I finally read the GL New Guardians HC. It's ok, but it continued too much for me. What - No ending after 7 issues? I think I'm dropping all my GL collections after the next set of collections. They don't even make Red Lantern HC's.

Saga vol. 2 was good too! I can see how this is a fan favorite. I plowed through this in like 45 minutes though and it'll be 6-7 months before the next installment. Oh well...

Walking Dead v. 18 - Just keeps trucking along. Still good, after all these volumes.

I just got in FATALE v. 3 so I'll be reading that soon. And I've been slowly plugging away at Warren Ellis' GUN THEORY. If I get enough time over the 4th I may be able to polish them both off, and maybe some other collection I bring to the annual family party (its 3 days long, I'll have some down time).

Whadda got???
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I stopped creating new threads after it seemed like I was the only one taking part in them for a couple of months.

I've read loads since then:

Superman and the Legion of Superheroes - Excellent. This is the kind of thing that Geoff Johns does really well - and Gary Frank's art is top notch.

Superman: Shadows Linger - It obviously didn't make much impression on me as I can't even remember it.

Superman: The Coming of Atlas - This is just a pointless big fight scene (and not even one of those entertaining ones that Mark Millar can write so well). Completely missable.

Superman: Last Son of Krypton - part 2: Brainiac - More great stuff. I run hot and cold on Geoff Johns, but he really hit his stride on Superman. And more great Gary Frank art. This is possibly the only time I've been completely satisfied with Braniac since before Crisis on Infinite Earths.

World War Hulk: The Incredible Hercules, The Incredible Hercules: Against the World, The Incredible Hercules: Secret Invasion, The Incredible Hercules: Love and War - The adventures of Amadeus Cho with his sidekick Hercules - as far as I could tell. This is generally good fun stuff - with the exception of Secret Invasion which bored me a bit.

Ultimate Iron Man II - It didn't blow me away like the original, but this was still a lot of fun - largely due to the completely entertainingly vile Obadiah Stane. I don't know why so many people seem to hate this series - unless it's either the fact that it throws continuity out of the window. I do feel a bit dirty for reading an Orson Scott Card book though.

The Programme v1 and v2 - Good story from Peter Milligan - though not at all what I was expecting. The art by C P Smith was quite stylish, but I really don't think it helped the storytelling. I know a lot of people weren't happy with this series - I wonder if that was the art.

Checkmate: Chimera - I was reading and enjoying this story while it built up to the obvious twist that spoilers:
    the Chimera character's subconscious was creating all of these religious villains - a bit like in The Sentry. It made perfect sense with the main character's mental powers and his history in theological study
    end of spoilers. Sadly the twist didn't happen and the whole thing wrapped up in an incredibly unsatisfactory non-ending that the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. Good art though.

American Virgin v1: Head (reread), v2: Going Down, v3: Wet and v4: Around the World - Enjoyable stuff for the first 3 volumes. The fourth volume started petering out and then the ending was just too sudden and a bit pointless. I know the book was cancelled prematurely, but it felt like it was building up to a climax so I assume Steven T Seagle had enough warning to have given it a more satisfying ending than this.

Spider-Man: Fever
    - Glorious art from Brendan McCarthy. The story did nothing for me though.

Museum of Terror v2: Tomie 2 - Junji Ito is great. This series of stories didn't quite reach the heights of Uzumaki, but it's still great chilling stuff.

Madame Xanadu v1: Disenchanted - Good story, good art - and it's nice to get a good meaty 10 issue TPB. My only (minor) disappointment is I don't like seeing The Phantom Stranger referred to within comics as "The Phantom Stranger" that gives him a name and so he stops being a stranger. It only happened once though.

Madame Xanadu v2: Exodus Noir - Glorious Michael Kaluta art for the second volume - though the complete change in Madam Xanadu's appearance that came with the artist change was a bit jarring. I guess I can't complain though as Kaluta created the character. This was as good as the first volume.

Spider-Man: The Osborn Identity - Meh.

The Rocketeer v2: Cliff's New York Adventure - Very slight. It didn't charm me the way the first volume did.

The Lonely Tombstone - Pointless little nothing of a story from Steve Niles.

Mercury (Hope Larson) - Another story let down by the ending. It was probably profound in some way, but it missed me. It was fun while the story was going though.

The Bronx Kill - A good story from Peter Milligan. The art though felt like a talented had just done rough breakdowns. Some pages seemed to be done with thicker pen than others for no apparent reason. Maybe the page rate was worse for this book than for other books so he didn't feel the need to finish the job. I still enjoyed it though because Milligan is great.

Pixu: The Mark of Evil - This was for the most part a great little horror story which had four different threads, each done by a different artist (and presumably writer) which gradually come together. Really quite chilling while it lasted - but once again the ending felt weak.

Little Book of Horror: Frankenstein - Pointless version of Frankenstein which seemed to be dumbed down for kiddies - but with an art style that I can't imagine many kids liking.

I totally LOVED Madame Xanadu, and I don't read most DC books. Kaluta was going to do another arc, and then the book got cancelled. :(

I'm w/ you on Spidey Fever. I remember thinking that if that's all there was it should have just been a longer 1-shot.

Oh, that Spidey Osborn book was American Son, right? Yeah, not all that. I think that's the last we've seen of Harry too.

I got all of the Vertigo crime OGN's, and I remember thinking that The Bronx Kill was pretty good. They kinda just phased that line out and didn't tell us... huh? Oh well...
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Oh, that Spidey Osborn book was American Son, right? Yeah, not all that. I think that's the last we've seen of Harry too.
    That's right. It wasn't exactly bad, but quite forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    I got all of the Vertigo crime OGN's, and I remember thinking that The Bronx Kill was pretty good.
    Yeah. The only minor issue I had with it (other than the art) was the pages of prose. I don't read particularly quickly (which is a big part of why I read comics) so every time I hit a few pages of prose the book slowed right down - and it messed with the pacing a bit.

Minor issue though.

I'm leaving tonight to go to the family's 4th party. I'll likely bring the latest FATALE tpb, Ellis' GUN THEORY, and a few other gems. So I hope to have something to keep this thread going when I return!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I just finished reading Captain America: Man Out of Time - A nice Mark Waid series covering Captain America's transition from the forties to the modern era. It was a nicely done emotional story - with a nice couple Radiohead references.

I've read Ultimate Iron Man II and it was fun

Read "Clockwerks" from Humanoids, a new OGN that's basically steampunk. Nice enough idea with some apparently good art, but it's all ruined by one of those awful muddy coloring jobs that destroys everything.

Then I read all of the Gus Beezer books from Marvel a decade ago. (Came across it while digging through longboxes for something else.) Gail Simone wrote them, Jason Lethcoe drew most of them. They're OK, but not spectacular. I was expecting more. Has Beezer shows up in Ultimate Spider-Man yet? ;-)

Might review Beezer for a future Pipeline. "Clockwerks" I should write up this week or next. It just came out last week, I think it was.

Also found some other interesting mostly-forgotten early-2000s Marvel books that I want to read or re-read. I completely forgot that Mike Kunkel did a few pages of Marvel work back then...

-Augie

I had to go to Google just to find out who Gus Beezer is. I've never heard of him before.

I have all of those Gus Beezer books from back then. They were ok, I think the Spidey one was the best. And no, we haven't seen him since.

Other than the few issues I just read now I haven't read anything since last week. It was a fun holiday weekend....
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

For me:

Happy - Grant Morrison doing Garth Ennis by way of Warren Ellis. The book is quite fun in a miserable way. Darrick Robertson's art is perfectly suited to the book.

Stormwatch v1: The Dark Side - I know the world loves Paul Cornell, but he hasn't grabbed me yet - and this is the weakest thing I've read by him. The amount of exposition we got explaining everyone's powers was painful - We get it, Jack Haksmoor can talk to cities, now move on! The plot itself was typical uninspired Authority type copycat stuff and the new characters were bland. The only vaguely interesting thing was apparently having Russell Brand cast as one of the new characters.

Sergio Aragones' Boogeyman - You know what you're getting with Sergio Aragones - and this is it. The short stories didn't do much for me, but I liked the longer ones.

Batman: Through the Looking Glass - Decent enough Batman story from Bruce Jones. Sublime art from Sam Keith.

I just read that Batman book a few weeks ago! I liked it. It was about what I expected, and I love Sam Keith too. I like the Batman solo stories by good creators. I'm glad they are bringing back Black & White!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Forgetless - Enjoyable enough story from Nick Spencer. The art switches back and forth - quite jarringly and for no apparent reason - between some nice Luna Brother-esque art and some quite ugly underground comix-inspired work. The artist who did the seperate story at the end was probably the best of the bunch.

Civil War: Frontline - For me this wasn't nearly up to the standard of the previous Paul Jenkins volumes.

Thor (JMS) v1 and v2 - I'm not sure why people often mention this as an example of bad JMS writing. I found it quite enjoyable. Also the art from Olivier Copiel and Marko Djurdjevic is very good too.

The Rabid - Uninspired zombie story - very reminiscent of the remake of The Crazies that I watched recently (I haven't seen the original). The art style in particular seemed to have been a direct copy of Paul Grist's style. As such it looked quite nice, but lacked Grist's flair and storytelling skills.