Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scalped is Bad.

Shocked: one of the best series ever from Vertigo or anyone else in my view. Fantastic scripts and brilliant art (not to mention incomparable Jock covers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    ??? I've heard that sort of statement said about everything from Preacher to Fables to Scalped (long before this thread), but never Sandman. Sandman hooked me from issue one. Vol. 2 is probably harder to get into than Vol. 1.
    fables and preacher also start out strong. this is different. scalped really sortof starts as this puerile "dashell is totally a badass you guys" show and then turns into the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac! View Post
    I just read the first two trades of this series and I wished I didn't.

I just couldn't believe how completely amateur it all felt. It attempts to be like the television series The Wire, analyzing an impoverished American community, but its so tact-less. It tries to be 'realistic' by hurdling its characters through traumatic events after traumatic events, but it just becomes inane after awhile. It makes the ultimate flaw that all dark, gritty, grim-grim comics do, it throws its characters into awful situations just to watch them suffer, there's nothing being said here, it's just pure sadism.

The art is ugly as hell too.
    Scalped is one of the finest dark and gritty comics you can get. If you don't like dark and gritty comics or have some bias against them, you won't like Scalped. It's a dark and gritty book and never pretends to be anything but.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I just couldn't believe how completely amateur it all felt. It attempts to be like the television series The Wire, analyzing an impoverished American community, but its so tact-less. It tries to be 'realistic' by hurdling its characters through traumatic events after traumatic events, but it just becomes inane after awhile. It makes the ultimate flaw that all dark, gritty, grim-grim comics do, it throws its characters into awful situations just to watch them suffer, there's nothing being said here, it's just pure sadism.

Agreed, though the art is the only redeeming factor.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

a superb series

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here's what you need to do -

- Finish the series.
    - Once you do, come back and tell yourself just how wrong you were.
    I'm pretty sure that if someone reads two volumes in a book series and doesn't like them, the proper response is NOT "you need to go read (ie, buy, locate at library) more of that series and go further into a direction that you have established that you do not like."

Maybe just accept that some people aren't the same as you.
    ComixCube.com : Freestyle Fridays -- comics talk to start your weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayo View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if someone reads two volumes in a book series and doesn't like them, the proper response is NOT "you need to go read (ie, buy, locate at library) more of that series and go further into a direction that you have established that you do not like."

Maybe just accept that some people aren't the same as you.
    But it is in this case...
    BB

BANNED

Default Businessman

In my opinion it is obvious. I'm not going to talk about it.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

That and if it takes #11 issues for it to get "good" then it's doing something wrong.

I don't want to waste my money for something that will get "good" on the 3rd volume
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I personally was grabbed and pulled in by the first issue, especially with the first encounter with Red Crow. I believe it was the second and third volume that made me start loving this series.

As for series that get good on the third volume, I've read series like that before where it takes so long for it to get going. Most of the time, it pays off I find, but I understand not wanting to waste one's money.

All i know is that Mac! has good taste and he is probably right in his assessment of the first 2 trades
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

I loved The Wire, despite the difficulty of the first two episodes and the weaknesses of the final season. I heard good things about it for years, but never saw an episode and took a really big chance by buying the series box set.

I enjoyed Scalped, though not quite as much as The Wire. They are really two different experiences, and it's a stretch to say that Scalped was trying to be The Wire. Aside from the undercover law enforcement angle, they explored very different themes in very different ways. And the artwork wasn't meant to be realistic or accurate, it was clearly intended to evoke the raw emotions of the story.

As others have mentioned, Scalped really hits its stride by the third volume. The bodycount is way too high for Scalped to ever be considered realistic, and the highly-stylized artwork is also not likely to be mistaken for photographs. But that's okay, some degree of dramatic exaggeration can very useful for delivering an exciting and compelling story and hitting the themes solidly. This particular story features a lot of bad people f*cking each overy badly. It's not a superhero story with obvious heroes. But the fascinating part is the way Scalped digs deep into the stories of so many bad people and got me to care about them anyway. They're bad because they were hurt deeply in the past, each and every one of them, and yet that still doesn't excuse their loathsome acts, just makes them more significant than shallow, cartoonish evil that we normally see in entertainment.

Not even The Wire got deep into the heads of guys like Barksdale and Bell. The story arc of Frank Sobotka in the second season is closer to the kinds of stories explored Scalped, and so are the stories of those school boys from the fourth season.

Assuming that you are a fan of The Wire, I recommend that you give Scalped one more chance. The series is mostly great, though like The Wire, the ending wasn't as good as the overall series.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    All i know is that Mac! has good taste and he is probably right in his assessment of the first 2 trades
    Are you his kid sidekick?
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Dude, could you give us some real-life insight on what growing up in a place like Pine Ridge is actually like? I'm sure it's nothing like Scalped, would love to hear a first-hand account.
    Buy the Spring 2012 Yellow Medicine Review for my rez crime fiction! That's why I should post less critically, maybe. I don't want to seem like I'm stepping all over Scalped, it just didn't hit with me.

I just would've liked it if Scalped had hit tonally sound, instead of copping its tone from late 60s, mid-70s city crime stories. When we were doing interviews for Willow's Whisper, I tried to explain that I could gauge the veracity for things near to my life, but not the veracity those things have for any other reader, and I think that should be my default for all entertainment, really.

Anyhow, there's a confrontational strain to a lot of conversation up that way, not just criminal, but not in the same tones, the same cadence as a Scorcese gangster movie, and that's what Scalped seemed to be hitting for, this pre-fab urban crimetalk. Everything's beaten up but &*$# you for saying it, you know? It's home, but also, in essence, a former prison camp. No one's looking for an excuse to be a "warrior" or "brave" or whatever, they'd mostly just rather be comfortable.

I'd have to reread to really nail it down any further, and I'm not going to plunk down the cash and import copies just for that. If the pre-fab "warrior" and "half-breed walks two worlds and finds himself" stuff works for a reader, it works for them. For me, it's just... oooh, how come Richard Stark never wrote Parker going through a series of Catholic visions to illustrate the distance between modern white man and tradition?

Your absolutely entitled to your opinion, but if you have the chance, grab the rest of the trades from your local library, finish the series, you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeidTheBaw View Post
    a superb series
    Agreed, one of Vertigo's best...

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Are you his kid sidekick?
    LMAO!!!