Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Angry

--------- ----------- ----------
    Last edited by Tommy-Never; 07-01-2013 at 01:42 PM.

*Definitely Don't have time to bicker or debate, excuse the spell check.

I do a podcast geared toward aspiring writing talent called WRITING FOR ROOKIES and I get that question a lot.

The thing is this:

1) No professional is obligated to do anything for you other than being respectful, having a nice conversation, signing your books and wishing you a good day.
    2) Professional writers are not freelance editors (sometimes). It's not their job to give free advice, analysis, cheerleading, etc.
    3) Professional writers were also aspiring at some point. Most haven't forgotten. They also remember that building a career means developing networking relationships. That takes time.
    4) Professionals are professionals because they're being paid to do work. It's called being busy.
    5) Respect other people's time. Unless a creator has made it known they are willing to look at unknown writers' work, assume that they're at a convention for business and their own personal time.
    6) Aspiring talent need to learn how to network. There is an art to it. It usually involves behaving in a professional manner, having finished product and leaving a business card.
    7) No one owes you anything.
    8) Being a creator does not mean you're in an invisible contract that says fans are bosses.

I'm saying this because before I got my career on track, I made the mistake of not having my crap together before approaching professionals. Once I learned the game, I did much better with making connections and building quality business relationships.

B.
    WRITING FOR ROOKIES - One of the few, if not only, podcasts dedicated to the aspiring sci-fi and comic book writer.
    http://writingforrookies.podcastpeople.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy-Never View Post
    COOL. I really do not understand your point or purpose for commenting, It isn't for me to understand I guess. but YOU'RE doing what you just accused me of and passing judgements. which Is fine, but I effeminately Don't have time to bicker or debate about this or anything else with you or anyone else. but you're still worked up, good luck with that.
    I don't recall stalking your twitter and calling you an egotistical jackass? Actually, I don't recall calling you anything but your screen name.

As for my point in posting my first response to what was going on in this thread? It's exactly what I wrote it to be. A friendly reminder that your posts (and your continued posting) could get you banned by the mods/admins of this site.

I'm really sorry that you're so upset with a man with whom who've never met or know enough about to personally insult but this website isn't your personal blog that you can use to rage rant.

It really is a shame that you seemed so stressed out by this article but I hope you can find something to help calm your agitated nerves.
    You're superior to pryde in my eyes -tlp

Are you trying to fight me, teddy? I believe in gender equality, I will falcon punch you - Jan 'slacker' Brady

---------------------
    Last edited by Tommy-Never; 07-01-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Comics is like any art-related business - it's about exploiting creators. So if you make yourself appear creative and 'exploitable,' and can get that across to semi-important people, you're golden. It's not about celebrity - if it were DC wouldn't be luring no-name writers from image to their stables.
    With all due respect; when sales are driven by popularity rather than content I think that qualifies as "celebrity-ism". Take for example the numerous "HOT" lists that comic sites utilize to perpetuate this idea. And as for DC luring away "no-name's" from Image (cite please?) I very much doubt that a BIG corporation such as Warner Publishing would take such risks. Also I really disagree with your statement that "like any art related business- it's about exploiting creators"; that seems like a very naive perspective. There are plenty of creator's who go into business without exploitation being a factor (i.e alternative comics). Now if you're only talking genre comics produced by two or three BIG publishing houses then I'd say that exploitation does play a factor in that, but that's also the nature of capitalism isn't it?

Thumbs up

-----------------
    Last edited by Tommy-Never; 07-01-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Alan Moore and Frank Miller are at many cons, Alan's are for the most part European and usually London based. I've seen Frank Miller pop up at cons across the country, heck I even got introduced to him briefly by a mutual friend at a hotel bar at SPX(small press comc convention). They may not always be there as featured guests but cons are the best place to talk with publishers, editors or heck just catch up with friends since comics are a lonely job at times.

As for Ron not giving back? Isn't that basically what these Shelf Life columns are? I'm sure Ron is compensated for them, but the $ isn't near what writing a comic brings in. In this way he's giving an audience(as opposed to just some random individual) a look into the industry. plus at what to, and sometimes even more importantly what NOT to do when it comes to comics. This column for instance should hopefully prevent what is usually an awkward situation for fan and pro interaction. Especially at a con where one has to speak loud to be heard, and have many people around to hear.

I keep reading that Ron should provide contact info for who could/can look at a script for free apparently. Honestly there probably isn't anyone out there that does. Go to any comic site and their submissions guidelines will tell you they don't take them. Be it the biggest publisher, to the smallest Indy pub. Because there are a HUGE number of people who want to do comics. There are already professional writers and artists who don't get as much work as they can handle.

They don't have time or resources to devote to looking over complete strangers scripts. Which is why Ron suggested to make a comic, as that's the best way to get noticed and perhaps get an offer to submit scripts from others. When you've shown them that perhaps you're worth taking the time for.

If your definition of success is making millions in comics, then there have been very few successful comic creators. Just FYI.

--------------------------
    Last edited by Tommy-Never; 07-01-2013 at 01:47 PM.

--------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Tommy-Never; 07-01-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy-Never View Post
    fyi, frank miller, alan moore, and kevin eastman as well as peter laird have made millions, but as I said a rebuttal at this point is useless and disruptive to my schedule, I Have no further comments.
    Yeah why bother responding when it is just making you look more and more ignorant? You are better off forgetting this thread exists and now that you don't have a leg left to stand on. Any sane person knows that you have said some very foolish and inaccurate things. Might as well quit while your hole is very deep. Go much further and it is the equivalent of throwing dirt on yourself.

So this list and info is about three years out of date at this point, but I thought it might be helpful anyway.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Buck View Post
    So this list and info is about three years out of date at this point, but I thought it might be helpful anyway.
    Thanks for the link. I've used it as a reference before. Unfortunately, it's mostly the same story: writers without artists need not apply.

But hey, the industry is what it is! At least Dark Horse reviews writing submissions...
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton