Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default In Your Face Jam - Jun 26, 2013

After hearing Superman fans' opinions about "Man of Steel," Brett reflects upon the film career of his beloved mutants while opining on which four-color era of X-Men adventures would make for a solid film.

Full article here.

Couldn't agree more. I would love to see an X-Men movie focusing on maybe five team members plus or minus Professor X (as Avengers proved, you don't really need the same founding members as the comic books in order to make a really great movie).

I'd also love to see an X-Men movie that wasn't basically The Wolverine Show, but....

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

I would like to see a movie about the Original 5

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla2099 View Post
    I would like to see a movie about the Original 5
    I was hoping that's what First Class would be, rather than a mish-mosh of characters from different eras. Not that hated their choices...I was just hoping for the originals.

I didn't think Whedon did a good job with the characters at all. They're just as blank as any of the characters from the X-men film. He just gave them enough funny one-liners for people to like them. I think Nolan did a much better job of an ensemble cast in The Dark Knight. Those characters are fleshed out just right. Not too much, not too little. But in both cases, Whedon and Nolan had other films to do the heavy lifting first. Whedon had 6 other movies to flesh out his principle cast for him, and Nolan had Batman Begins to introduce us to Batman, Gordon, Rachel, and Alfred.

The X-men movies don't have that luxury. They've got to establish an ensemble cast on screen in one go, and that's really hard to do. Watch the Lord of the Rings. You really get very little of anyone but Frodo, Gandalf, and Aragorn in Fellowship. The same thing happens with Two Towers and Return of the King. You've really got to pick a main character and go from there. The X-men films had to do the same thing. They just went with Wolverine for all but one of them. In First Class, they went with Magneto. Xavier has a little more screen time, but it's really Magneto's film.

A guy who loves comics Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

To alter the phrase, you stole the thoughts right out of my head.

I still genuinely enjoy X-Men and X2 (X2 is still one of my all-time favorite movies): the others go from mediocre to bad but still watchable (if the mood strikes me). But none of them are my ideal X-Men movie for the same reasons you mentioned.

I think the only way I'll get the X-Men movie I'm looking for is if Marvel got the rights back from Fox, and even then, Marvel can only make so many movies at any given time. And their slate's pretty close to established for the foreseeable future.

I want Days of Future Past to be good, but I'm very on-edge about the whole affair. Maybe the inevitable trailers will help ease my anxiety.

I think the villain needs to tie DIRECTLY into the mutants-as-minorities metaphor: the Purifiers would be a great choice for the first movie in a rebooted main series, because they'd personify the hatred against mutants. Maybe Deathstrike can be rewritten into one of their leaders, along with Donald Pierce (full cyborg mode, of course.)
    "Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by korubin View Post
    I didn't think Whedon did a good job with the characters at all. They're just as blank as any of the characters from the X-men film. He just gave them enough funny one-liners for people to like them.
    Worse than that even, they were just flat out inconsistent with how they were in the previous movies.

You realise there is no way on earth FOX wrote, cast, contacted and signed an actor to play a character that is the son of a pre-existing character in a movie that is already half way through production in under a week of Disney saying they wanted to use Quicksilver in a movie that doesn't even have a script yet? That's not how movies are made.

This is a perfect article. I have to say that growing up, Xmen were my favorite comics... And when the first movie came out, I felt like "wow they did it!" and even went to see it the theater 7 or 8 times. But now, after the Avengers, I feel the same you do. I was just happy that they were kinda getting it right. It seems more like the Wolverine show now than anything. My hope? Fox would some how give up the rights... Marvel gets them back and makes it into a show.

OmegaLibrarianGardener MatthewClark's Avatar

Great piece, Brett, and I agree 100%

There is one point I think you misrepresented just a bit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett White
    That's the difference, and that's the problem. Whedon wants Quicksilver because of who he is, Singer wants him because of what he can do.

While Joss is excited by the international POV Pietro and Wanda will bring to the gang from AVENGERS 1, as he recently said on LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON he is interested in what they can "do" as well:

Quote Originally Posted by Joss Whedon
    Besides the fact that I grew up reading them, their powers are very visually interesting. One of the problems I had on the first one was everybody basically had punching powers... [Quicksilver]’s got super speed. [Scarlet] can weave spells and a little telekinesis, get inside your head. There’s good stuff that they can do that will help sort of keep it fresh.
    That doesn't diminish your overall argument, it just makes it stronger: Joss wants them because of both who they are AND what they can do. Even better!
    Last edited by MatthewClark; 06-26-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    Squad Name: Omega Librarian Gardener
    CBOX ID: OmegaLibrarianGardener
    Squad Level: 800

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd like an X-MEN flick where Cyclops acts like Scott Summers!

Of course Cyclops doesn't act like Cyclops in the comics either, sooooooo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brett White
    Not being the biggest Jean Grey fan
    Everything ever said in this column is now invalid.

I wanna see Ororo Munroe aka Storm fly like how Superman flies in Man of steel film.

I hope the next x-men film will display the x-men awesome powers. More actions scenes and their powers should not be in slow motion.

Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 06-26-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Ororo Munroe: I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!

Whedon's AXM directed by Whedon, it couldn't be better.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.