Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Lazarus, #1

In "Lazarus" #1, Greg Rucka and Michael Lark explore a futuristic feudal world dominated by a few wealthy Families. Forever Carlyle, her Family's protector, faces new threats from within and without her Family's estate.

Full article here.

Default Rucka returns!

Greg Rucka is shamefully under represented in comics today and ANY new work would be a blessing. Pairing himself with the brilliant Michael Lark makes buying Lazarus a no brainer. If editorial interference is kept out of the equation this could be the new book of the year. Hopefully it's success will lead Marvel to offer him a chance to do the Black Widow's origin! The fact that he isn't writing a Widow comic, especially since the success of the Avengers movie, is nothing less than a mystery to me.

Pretty good issue, looking forward to the rest of the series.

Same here. Rucka is very underrated. Great issue and start to the series.

Rucka/Lark creator owned - it's a no-brainer first issue buy and fortunately it holds up to what I expected from them. Great concept intriguingly executed. It's unnerving how realistic this scenario can actually be. It's also happens to be Game of Thrones in the future, which is brilliant. Expect I'll be in with this for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    Pretty good issue, looking forward to the rest of the series.
    Indeed. Quality as usual with Rucka and Lark

This first issue is really great. I'm in for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by 42prolix View Post
    Greg Rucka is shamefully under represented in comics today and ANY new work would be a blessing. Pairing himself with the brilliant Michael Lark makes buying Lazarus a no brainer. If editorial interference is kept out of the equation this could be the new book of the year. Hopefully it's success will lead Marvel to offer him a chance to do the Black Widow's origin! The fact that he isn't writing a Widow comic, especially since the success of the Avengers movie, is nothing less than a mystery to me.
    I'm not sure if he would want to work for the big two right now., I think he got burned after Punisher and/or Batwoman. Hasn't he said something about it?
    Saga, Zero, Chew, Prophet, Lazarus, Fatale, Sex Criminals, The Fuse, Rat Queens, Great Pacific, Umbral, Peter Panzerfaust, Copra, Rachel Rising, Mind MGMT, BPRD, Lobster Johnson.

I have never read any of Rucka's work, nor have I seen Lark's art before. When purveying the new release shelves, the cover art immediately drew me in. I read the first few pages, and was hooked. I closed the book, and continued to pick my other comics in my pull list. Paid for them and headed out. I then continued to finish the book. An excellent first issue. However, it was Rucka's post scripts on how the book came into being, is what finally sealed the deal for me. I love Rucka and Lark's vision for this book and how they took today's medical advancement and speed it up a little to reveal the plausibility of what, in my opinion, will be an inevitable outcome of our future.

Nice, this is my pick of the week, looking forward to reading my pulled copy when I make my next comics run.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

This was very good, but then again, I didn't expect any less from this creative team. I find it very promising, even if I do not know where this comic will exactly be going outside of a vague idea. Still, for a comic that took place in the future in a very crappy society, this one introduced all the concepts and ideas at a very reasonable pace instead of just tossing it all at you like another comic I read.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...arus-1-review/

LARK & RUCK. Here is my money.
    GET WELL GEORGE LOPEZ

This review was pretty spot on, if not for that little mishap with the narration in the beginning, this was damn near flawless.

Rucka did a great job making you care about Forever, right from the jump, I look forward to Eve putting a bullet in James (her Dr) and her asshole brother Jonah...

The art was some of Larks best work, though he probably should have let a actual letter'er, do the lettering, hence the aforementioned mishap in the narration...

The scene with Forever and the old man who took the fall for the assumed inside job, was really intense and hammered home the true meaning of family, I loved it!!

Some great back matter ass well, sketches and everything...
    Last edited by agent_graves; 06-27-2013 at 09:30 PM.

anyone else have a feeling that old guy might still be alive? just seemed to me that she was left alone to kill him, and what he said to her really hit it's mark...maybe i'm just hoping for a little too much, but it'd be interesting to see him pop up again...

It would be kinda cool if he was a Lazarus as well, but then again, it would kinda take away from the point he was making.

Quote Originally Posted by 42prolix View Post
    Agreed 100%. Rucka is basically an auto-buy for me. When he came back to comics in Punisher, I thought he was BACK....but he didn't take on any more titles.

And yes, I've been crying out for a Rucka Black Widow book for a while now. If there was a book that just made sense after the Avengers movie, it was that one.

Shame DC is such a lousy place to work right now because I'd love for him to tell some more Kate Kane stories. I'm sure he's got plenty left in the tank.

As for this first issue, I enjoyed it and found it to be a very good comic, with nice ideas. It didn't absolutely blow me away, bu tI think that's just by virtue of it's being a "quieter" first issue, one that is really just an introduction for the reader rather than other books, which just explosively throw the reader right into the fray.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW