Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Jun 25, 2013

This week, Augies spends some time in France - well, with the French comic series "Orbital," at least - before heading back stateside to look at how letterers present translated dialogue.

Full article here.

I can't believe this stupid Augie is still doing a column. DOes anyone care what this nerd thinks?

Hi, Augie. I was wondering when you would come to review Hawkeye. It's really a very good technical book so I hope you get to share your thoughts on the series someday. This week, we will have an issue told from the point of view of a dog!
    I don't think there's a current mainstream American superhero comic book that can touch Hawkeye right now. Brilliant all the way. Entertaining and technically outstanding at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rnj558 View Post
    I can't believe this stupid Augie is still doing a column. Does anyone care what this nerd thinks?
    Sorry, can't leave this alone. He read teh column and was moved enough to respond to the column. Granted not in a positive way but we have here proof at least one person out there cares what Augie thinks. A lot.

And to the reason I went to post: Age of Ultron (which my spell check wants to turn into Poltroon) did have an ending. The new story possibilities were an epilogue. All sorts of media have been doing this forever, even when there's not going to be any follow up on the possibilities...

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rnj558 View Post
    I can't believe this stupid Augie is still doing a column. DOes anyone care what this nerd thinks?
    Anytime he's writing about European comics and not the dreck that he happened to have his letter printed in is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by erwinrafael View Post
    Hi, Augie. I was wondering when you would come to review Hawkeye. It's really a very good technical book so I hope you get to share your thoughts on the series someday. This week, we will have an issue told from the point of view of a dog!
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming oversized hardcover collection of the series' first 11 issues. I'll probably review that, though it's not due out until the end of the year.

-Augie

Quote Originally Posted by imrighturwrong View Post
    Sorry, can't leave this alone. He read teh column and was moved enough to respond to the column. Granted not in a positive way but we have here proof at least one person out there cares what Augie thinks. A lot.

And to the reason I went to post: Age of Ultron (which my spell check wants to turn into Poltroon) did have an ending. The new story possibilities were an epilogue. All sorts of media have been doing this forever, even when there's not going to be any follow up on the possibilities...
    The third "Lord of the Rings" movie did have a bunch of endings, but they were all still conclusions. And, yes, there's the old cliche where the hand reaches up from the guy we thought was killed in the climactic fight scene. But that's more of a teaser/twist than what "Age of Ultron" had. "Age of Ultron" had an ending, and then went on to start all new mysterious stories in the same final issue. They came off more as a tacked-on afterthought than an important part of the story.

-Augie