Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,846

    Default Villains Month Unites Bedard, Brainiac & Black Manta

    Writer Tony Bedard spoke with CBR about his upcoming Villains Month issues of "Aquaman" #23.1 and "Superman" #23.2 featuring Black Manta and Brainiac, expanding on their significance to September's "Forever Evil."


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    8,466

    Default

    Welp, I have been complaining a lot about Bedard due that 90% of his work has been uninspired, generic and boring since the New 52 started.

    However, he seems to have a true passion for Black Manta and an interesting vision for him. The last time he sounded that invested on a project we got his Beowulf backup story on Sword of Sorcery and that was by far the best work he has done recently (Which was of course helped by Jesus Saiz' beautiful art). This could actually turn good.

    About Brainiac and Ocean Master, I don't know.

  3. #3

    Default

    I'm a fan of Black Manta and Brainiac, so I'll be picking both of these up. I like the concept of Villains Month and Forever Evil, so I hope they can pull it off well in the majority of titles.
    "Gargantua, stop! We're... friends!"
    - Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

  4. #4
    Senior Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,170

    Default

    So in addition to two overpriced issues of Aquaman in September I'm also expected to buy this Forever Evil thing?

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    8,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    So in addition to two overpriced issues of Aquaman in September I'm also expected to buy this Forever Evil thing?
    There's such a thing called "free will" or so I heard.

  6. #6
    Senior Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    There's such a thing called "free will" or so I heard.
    Yes, I am aware of the concept....

  7. #7
    Veteran Member El Sombrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Welp, I have been complaining a lot about Bedard due that 90% of his work has been uninspired, generic and boring since the New 52 started.
    Yeah, that's how I feel. Debating whether I should buy the Aquaman villains issues. The Johns co-credit got me a little more interested than I would be otherwise, but I don't like Bedard's work at all. His writing is like a really poor man's Johns, with most of the flaws but none of the good stuff. His New Guardians was bad.

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    8,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Yeah, that's how I feel. Debating whether I should buy the Aquaman villains issues. The Johns co-credit got me a little more interested than I would be otherwise, but I don't like Bedard's work at all. His writing is like a really poor man's Johns, with most of the flaws but none of the good stuff. His New Guardians was bad.
    I wouldn't really call Bedard a poor man's Johns since he doesn't have anything in common with Johns to begin with.

    Bedard's problem has always been his lack of personality. He doesn't excels at anything in particular (Plot, characterization, creativity, etc), he can be competent at cosmic stories but never really great, that's why his work tend to be so undoubtly dull.

    Plus, New Guardians wasn't bad per se, but incredibly lifeless (Which is worse than being just bad IMO).

  9. #9
    Veteran Member El Sombrero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,765

    Default

    Maybe I feel like Bedard writes like Johns because he's done a lot of writing in the Green Lantern family, basically working off of Johns' direction and plotlines...but I do think he writes like Johns, with that sort of modernized superhero nostalgia, that mix of sappy human melodrama and superviolence, etc. Johns is better than his contemporaries at that because he has bigger concepts, is great at getting to the essence of his character, and is better at selling a story that feels like it really matters to the character and franchise.

    I would strongly disagree about New Guardians not being bad. I read the first arc and I thought it was complete dog****, one of the worst New 52 series out there. It was crap in every way.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    8,466

    Default

    Well, then we can at least agree that New Guardians sucked.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Maybe I feel like Bedard writes like Johns because he's done a lot of writing in the Green Lantern family, basically working off of Johns' direction and plotlines...but I do think he writes like Johns, with that sort of modernized superhero nostalgia, that mix of sappy human melodrama and superviolence, etc. Johns is better than his contemporaries at that because he has bigger concepts, is great at getting to the essence of his character, and is better at selling a story that feels like it really matters to the character and franchise.

    I would strongly disagree about New Guardians not being bad. I read the first arc and I thought it was complete dog****, one of the worst New 52 series out there. It was crap in every way.
    What I'd say about Bedard is his work feels very thin.

    For instance, you say "New Guardians" was completely dawg doodoo. I don't think it was this blight upon humanity, but rather this incredibly thin, incredibly PHONED IN story/arc/run. The dialogue was cliche, the characters were 1 dimensional, the plots and the conflicts were unexciting, they pushed no boundaries, they didn't give us anything interesting on any level -- no interesting sci fi concepts, no deeply grounded character stuff, no emotionally powerful beats, nothing.

    It was the kind of run that might have been assembled by a committee of random people on the street, or by a computer. It very basically took you from point A to point B, and that was. And because it existed in the greater framework of the Green Lantern story that Johns was telling, there wasn't much ground between "A" and 'B'.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada, eh.
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    What I'd say about Bedard is his work feels very thin.

    For instance, you say "New Guardians" was completely dawg doodoo. I don't think it was this blight upon humanity, but rather this incredibly thin, incredibly PHONED IN story/arc/run. The dialogue was cliche, the characters were 1 dimensional, the plots and the conflicts were unexciting, they pushed no boundaries, they didn't give us anything interesting on any level -- no interesting sci fi concepts, no deeply grounded character stuff, no emotionally powerful beats, nothing.

    It was the kind of run that might have been assembled by a committee of random people on the street, or by a computer. It very basically took you from point A to point B, and that was. And because it existed in the greater framework of the Green Lantern story that Johns was telling, there wasn't much ground between "A" and 'B'.
    My thoughts on Bedard is he's a very competent writer when given the chance to stretch his legs. His R.E.B.E.L.S was better than anything he's put forth since coming to the Green Lantern comics, and his Negation was even better than that. One of the best cosmic books of the last decade if I do say so myself. His Aquaman during Flashpoint was better than I would have thought, but it was too little, too late. I would be absolutely ecstatic if Bedard and his Negation partner, Pelletier took over Aquaman, and after finishing off some of Johns meandering plots be allowed to create a really phenomenal story if given the freedom to do what he wants/can with the character and his universe.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    8,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraNstar View Post
    My thoughts on Bedard is he's a very competent writer when given the chance to stretch his legs. His R.E.B.E.L.S was better than anything he's put forth since coming to the Green Lantern comics, and his Negation was even better than that. One of the best cosmic books of the last decade if I do say so myself. His Aquaman during Flashpoint was better than I would have thought, but it was too little, too late. I would be absolutely ecstatic if Bedard and his Negation partner, Pelletier took over Aquaman, and after finishing off some of Johns meandering plots be allowed to create a really phenomenal story if given the freedom to do what he wants/can with the character and his universe.
    I liked Bedard's REBELS but that doesn't mean that whenever he gets more freedom he will produce good stuff. After all, he got all the freedom of the world on Blue Beetle and well, we got that.

    Plus, I thought that Emperor Aquaman was immensely hacky.

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada, eh.
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I liked Bedard's REBELS but that doesn't mean that whenever he gets more freedom he will produce good stuff. After all, he got all the freedom of the world on Blue Beetle and well, we got that.

    Plus, I thought that Emperor Aquaman was immensely hacky.
    I never read his Blue Beetle so I can't comment on it, but I found his EA to be quite good. On par with Snyder's Superman. But that's just my opinion.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraNstar View Post
    My thoughts on Bedard is he's a very competent writer when given the chance to stretch his legs. His R.E.B.E.L.S was better than anything he's put forth since coming to the Green Lantern comics, and his Negation was even better than that. One of the best cosmic books of the last decade if I do say so myself. His Aquaman during Flashpoint was better than I would have thought, but it was too little, too late. I would be absolutely ecstatic if Bedard and his Negation partner, Pelletier took over Aquaman, and after finishing off some of Johns meandering plots be allowed to create a really phenomenal story if given the freedom to do what he wants/can with the character and his universe.
    "Negation" didn't do it for me as much, but I really did enjoy his "Mark of Charon" and I was digging Negation War he was writing before it ended.

    I'm surprised he hasn't been approached by Waid for 'Thrillbent' as the two were thick as thieves, as I recall.

    Anyway, to each their own. He's not my cuppa, but glad you enjoy his work. My personal pick for a Aquaman run is going to be "John Rozum"; and I'd love to have seen Rozum co-write "Shazam" with Johns, as I think their skill sets would have complemented very nicely (Rozum as the idea engine, Johns as the character-man).

    Ah well.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

    http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •