Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post
    Nah. Ben was too awesome for anyone else to wear his versions of the costume...
    Nah. I have an opinion too
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Zaleski View Post
    Nah. I have an opinion too
    Agreed, I just am very outspoken about Ben!

Quote Originally Posted by John Zaleski View Post
    I didn't want OMD to happen but felt it was a good story in the way that Peter made a big sacrifice and showed the hero he is.

Identity Crisis I LOVED. Fun to see Peter operating in different costumes.

Think I'm gonna read that later.
    Agreed! "Identity Crisis" was really fun, well told read that I suspect is not more fondly remembered because it came out during a relatively down period for the Spidey books as they followed up the "90's Clone Saga and the comic industry in general was in disarray. But that doesn't mean there weren't good stories told because there were and this was one of them----I also very much enjoyed the "Slingers" mini that grew out of this story; definitely worth seeking out for anyone who enjoyed ID Crisis!
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post
    You know who should wear Ben's costume? Ben.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Thank you :)

Obviously the death of Uncle Ben will forever be the biggest change for Peter. Gwen's death comes next. As for other so called "big changes"... is there anything that has been permanent? Since the 90's "big changes" has just been gimmicks that has been retconned not long after. Heck, in this new wonderful (or maybe not so wonderful) world even the marriage is something that has never happened

Quote Originally Posted by Fried Couch Potato View Post
    Obviously the death of Uncle Ben will forever be the biggest change for Peter. Gwen's death comes next. As for other so called "big changes"... is there anything that has been permanent? Since the 90's "big changes" has just been gimmicks that has been retconned not long after. Heck, in this new wonderful (or maybe not so wonderful) world even the marriage is something that has never happened
    The changes that stick are those that introduce new elements to the series that can survive a change to the status quo. So the Clone Saga mattered because it introduced Kaine, who now has his own book. And because Jackal's come back as a villain in several major stories.

We don't know what the future could bring, and stuff that matters now could soon be ignored. A future editor could decide that Spider-Man shouldn't have any clones just as DC decided that Superman should be the only survivor of Krypton.

We won't know what's permanent for some time.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Fried Couch Potato View Post
    Sure, but at the time they were changes. Lots of folks are getting up in arms about Superior, but I think we all know that the story will end at some point. Same goes for the unmasking, the black costume, Aunt May's death, etc. Besides, as Steve Wacker often points out, just about everything that has ever been printed in a comic book has been a gimmick.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Sure, but at the time they were changes. Lots of folks are getting up in arms about Superior, but I think we all know that the story will end at some point. Same goes for the unmasking, the black costume, Aunt May's death, etc. Besides, as Steve Wacker often points out, just about everything that has ever been printed in a comic book has been a gimmick.
    Whacker often mistakes story "hooks" for story "gimmicks". A hook is a hinge that the story turns on. It makes you want to read more. A gimmick is a sales tool designed to make you buy a book even if it's not good because the gimmick fools you. Cross-overs are gimmicks designed to use good-selling titles to promote lower-selling titles or just to increase overall sales across the line. Gimmick = sales and promotion. Hook = character and story. I'm not sure Mr. Whacker understands about such things.

Whoops forgot --

The Death of Gwen Stacy was the big change for me. It had huge impact and led to the development of Peter's and Mary Jane's relationship. It was also well-told.
    Last edited by Heroid; 06-27-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Rock and Roll is Rock and Roll. When you try to make it more than that, it becomes something else. That's not a bad thing, but damn -- somebody still needs to play Rock and Roll.

The only change I hate is Superior
    SpOck/"Superior"'s number one hater

Quote Originally Posted by Heroid View Post
    Whacker often mistakes story "hooks" for story "gimmicks". A hook is a hinge that the story turns on. It makes you want to read more. A gimmick is a sales tool designed to make you buy a book even if it's not good because the gimmick fools you. Cross-overs are gimmicks designed to use good-selling titles to promote lower-selling titles or just to increase overall sales across the line. Gimmick = sales and promotion. Hook = character and story. I'm not sure Mr. Whacker understands about such things.

Whoops forgot --

The Death of Gwen Stacy was the big change for me. It had huge impact and led to the development of Peter's and Mary Jane's relationship. It was also well-told.
    So, if you don't like it, it's a gimmick. If you like it, it's a hook.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    pretty much
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Frankly, I don't even get why some people find the word "gimmick" to be inherently bad. Spidey and MJ getting married at Shea Stadium was just about as gimmicky as you can get, but it was awesome.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Frankly, I don't even get why some people find the word "gimmick" to be inherently bad. Spidey and MJ getting married at Shea Stadium was just about as gimmicky as you can get, but it was awesome.
    intentionally trying to entice readers to read your comic is a deadly, deadly sin.
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    intentionally trying to entice readers to read your comic is a deadly, deadly sin.
    Well then there must be little to zero room in hell left