Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

So, as long as this thread is here:

I've read all of "Batman & Son," Morrison's 16-issue run of Batman and Robin and the last several issues of Batman Inc. courtesy of ComiXology and haven't really enjoyed any of them.

Is there any hope for me in continuing to delve into this run, or have I pretty much seen enough to get an indication of how I'll feel about the whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Twain View Post

I've read all of "Batman & Son," Morrison's 16-issue run of Batman and Robin and the last several issues of Batman Inc. courtesy of ComiXology and haven't really enjoyed any of them.

Is there any hope for me in continuing to delve into this run, or have I pretty much seen enough to get an indication of how I'll feel about the whole thing?
    If you don't like it, you don't like it. Best to try to find something you do like.

So you didn't read the whole thing? Black Glove and RIP? Return of Bruce Wayne? I don't know if there is any hope, kinda doubt it, but I think to be fair to Morrison and yourself, one has to read the entire thing. It all goes together. To appreciate Hurt and Darkseid's roles and overall scheme, and pick on the big high-level themes of the run ((idea of) Man vs (idea of) God, etc), you have to read it all.

But if you didn't like B&R 1-3 with Prof Pyg...that's not a good sign for hoping to like any of Grant Morrison's comics.
    Last edited by jgiannantoni05; 06-23-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    DC discarded their history, and now has none. DC will always be in the shadows of their past work.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    If you don't like it, you don't like it. Best to try to find something you do like.
    Cool, cool.

Yeah, I'd pretty much given up on it, but every once in a while I'd wonder if one of the parts I didn't read was just phenomenal, or if something was supposed to click with a certain piece. If what I've read is a fair representation of the whole arc, I'm comfortable not bothering with the rest.

Cool, cool.

Yeah, I'd pretty much given up on it, but every once in a while I'd wonder if one of the parts I didn't read was just phenomenal, or if something was supposed to click with a certain piece. If what I've read is a fair representation of the whole arc, I'm comfortable not bothering with the rest.
    I would suggest giving the short Black Glove story a try (Batman #667-669) because of the mystery tone and the art is so good. I don't know how well it would translate on comixology if you're using the guided view format, since the art is by JH Williams III, and he doesn't employ traditional grid panels for his pages.

I would suggest giving the short Black Glove story a try (Batman #667-669) because of the mystery tone and the art is so good. I don't know how well it would translate on comixology if you're using the guided view format, since the art is by JH Williams III, and he doesn't employ traditional grid panels for his pages.
    I don't use the guided-view format unless it's on my phone, so that won't be a problem.

I love JH Williams' work on Batwoman, so I may have to check that out. Thanks.

But if you didn't like B&R 1-3 with Prof Pyg...that's not a good sign for hoping to like any of Grant Morrison's comics.
    I actually quite liked Professor Pyg as a character, and his one scene with Damian was great. I just didn't care for the overall execution of the issues.
    Last edited by Bruce Twain; 06-23-2013 at 11:25 AM.

This is one of the highlights of the run, and because it's so early on in it you can pretty much just jump in.
    Too broke for a pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by jgiannantoni05 View Post
    And suddenly, everything makes sense to me about my thoughts on his Batman stuff.

Personally, I was just more meh on it than didn't like it.

I like sweeping blanket statements, so I'll just go ahead and say it. If you don't like B&R 1-3, that's a good sign you may not be human.
    Last edited by Sn4tcH; 06-24-2013 at 04:36 AM.
    Libaax: (Grant Morrison) is so fresh, a god of superhero comics and (you should) worship his world of Batman.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

Cool, cool.

You read both the main introductory arcs, Batman and Son and B&R. If you didn't dig them, then you won't dig the rest. For all the love Morrison gets, he isn't universally beloved. It is ok to admit you aren't drawn into it.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

So you didn't read the whole thing? Black Glove and RIP? Return of Bruce Wayne? I don't know if there is any hope, kinda doubt it, but I think to be fair to Morrison and yourself, one has to read the entire thing. It all goes together. To appreciate Hurt... you have to read it all.
    And you should read it in order. I failed to do so and that's pretty much why I can't see Hurt as being a threat to Batman. What is seen cannot be unseen and because of what I saw I was never able to see him as anything other than a bit of a joke villain. I was never able to get passed that.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-24-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Best Batman run ever. Big ideas that are well executed, great characterisation and the exploration of themes that transcend the medium. Morrison has given us perhaps the definitive look at Bruce Wayne/Batman as a character by delving into every era of his existence and the unique qualities that make him who he is.
    Batman, Batman and Robin, Detective Comics, Action Comics, Batman-Superman ,Wonder Women, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Justice League, JLA.

The concluding trade of the run has finally been given a name...

Batman Incorporated Vol.2: Gotham's Most Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    The concluding trade of the run has finally been given a name...

Batman Incorporated Vol.2: Gotham's Most Wanted

"Collects #7-12 of Batman Incorporated."

heh

Anyhow, I hate the standard sized hardcovers, so I'll skip this until 1-13 are all collected in a deluxe hardcover.

"Collects #7-12 of Batman Incorporated."

heh

Anyhow, I hate the standard sized hardcovers, so I'll skip this until 1-13 are all collected in a deluxe hardcover.
    I'm guessing that info was given to Amazon before they announced a 13. I wouldn't be surprised if Burnham's Special Issue 1 or whatever is collected in here as well. It should be