Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Film & TV Novelizations

I am a big collector of Novelizations.

Some of them aren't bad at all. Especially The Abyss novelization by Orson Scott Card. Any other collectors here?

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Collector, no, but I used to pick up novelizations of shows I had enjoyed. I remember having enjoyed the "Raiders of the lost ark" novelization greatly, and for my money "The wrath of Khan" and "The search for Spock " by Vonda McIntyre were excellent novels in their own right. The latter in particular was FAR better than the movie it came from!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Nope, the only one i have ever read was the attack of the clones one and it was about as awful as the movie. (why in hell did i read that in the first place anyway ? Can't remember)

Nope. I've read a few though, Star Wars: Phantom Menace (Awful), The Dark Knight Rises (Fairly decent) & Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (the latter of which seemed to end right before the final battle, and was bad) are three that I can remember. Probably a few more.
    Reviews
    Top 5 Marvel: , Daredevil, SSM, Avengers Undercover, ANFX, Black Widow | Top 5 DC: Green Arrow, ST Batman, RL, Phantom Stranger

Just got the Man Of Steel novelization by Greg Cox. Like the film, its not very good.

There's also a Pacific Rim novelization by Alex Irvine coming out on July 9th.

I remember being annoyed when novels that had inspired a movie or a TV series were marketed as novelizations thereof, and turned out not to be like the show... Cyborg by Martin Caidin was, to my young eye, full of errors such as Steve Austin not having his bionic arm on the proper side. (But it was definitely Lee Majors on the cover!)

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

I collect some.

The Fog novelization by Dennis Etchison was quite good - a couple of moments with the leper ghosts were very very well done.

I still have the Escape From New York novelization by Mike McQuay. He changed some things around and added some really fun WWII war hero stuff for Snake.

Alan Dean Foster's novelization for The Thing was also entertaining, although a bit lacking in the "Thing" department.

High Plains Drifter was excellent (I think it's written by the same writer who penned the script.)

The Martin novelization was based on Romero's three hour script and was excellent.

I read the novelization to Franco Nero's the Mercenary, I liked the authors' take on his character. Can't say the same for Nero and Redgrave's A Quiet Place in the Country novelization - I still don't like the way the author made Nero's character truly snap. Why I still have that one I don't know.

I wish the Italians would release English language versions of Argento's Deep Red and other novelizations. I'd love to read those to get a sense of how Dario wrote those scripts.

--

If they release a novelization for Captain America: The Winter Soldier, I'm all over that one.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Nearly every story in the original Doctor Who series was novelized. While the majority of them are mainly (more or less) just transcripts, some are quite handy for enjoying the lost Doctor Who stories from the 60s. Others add some more insights into the characters and background (Especially some of the later McCoy era ones) and gave a foundation for the original "New Adventures" novels which were soon to come. Many have recently been re-released.

If you're a Trekkie the novels of the Star Trek movies are an interesting read. The TMP novel by Gene Roddenberry (There's a rumor that it was ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster but Foster denies this) fleshes out his 'utopia' vision of Star Trek a great deal. The later novels by Vonda McEntyre (The Genesis Trilogy) and J.M Dillard (Final Frontier/Undiscovered Country) also add a ton of stuff, including a romance between Saavik and David Marcus that wasn't really in the films at all but kind of interesting all the same.

The Star Wars film adaptations also cover a lot of the deleted material, including in ROTJ an extended Obi-Wan conversation that conflicts with the last trilogy. Oops!
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-27-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

The Star Wars film adaptations also cover a lot of the deleted material, (...)
    The first two were really good (Alan Dean Foster and Leigh Brackett, if memory serves). The intro to Star wars hinted at things far more interesting that what the prequels turned out to be! I loved the concept of an emperor losing touch with his subjects and being misled by the bureaucracy.

The Emperor being sort of a weak puppet ruler I think was a concept that was kind of done away with when he was shown to be Vader's master and a force user in ESB and ROTJ (Then again they changed a lot of things). Otherwise the intro to the novel seemed pretty close to what we got in the saga.

ESB novel was written by Donald Glut. Brackett did contribute to ESB (Although her draft largely differs from the final story) though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ESB novel was written by Donald Glut. Brackett did contribute to ESB (Although her draft largely differs from the final story) though.
    Ah, you're right... I remember wondering at the time whether it was the same Don Glut who was writing for Marvel comics (which he was).

One thing I'm curious about is the novel adaptations of the Bond movies-where the plot deviated so much from the Ian Fleming material they had to make novels based on the screenplay, mainly Christopher Wood's "James Bond and The Spy Who Loved Me" and "James Bond and Moonraker". I think "License to Kill" and "Goldeneye" got novels too (Not sure about the remaining Brosnans, I know Skyfall didn't have a novel or a Fleming book). From what I've read they tried to stay within the Fleming canon, so you have Felix getting mauled twice.

There's also a few Gundam novels based that got translated into English, but differ radically from the source material.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-30-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Animation & Illustration

Not exactly a novelization, but the film adaptation of Richard Parker's Appaloosa is so close to the novel that you can actually enjoy the subsequent novels without much need to read the first, if you've seen the film.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

I've got the Pacific Rim novelization on the way (Amazon had a sale.) I really liked what I read in the preview (a few extra details.)
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Anyone read the Pacific Rim book yet? I haven't seen the film, but the novelization seems to be getting some pretty positive reviews. Also, there's a graphic novel called Tales from Zero Year. It's supposed to be like a prequel to the movie. Anyone have any input on either of these titles?