Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Grant View Post
    Regardless, 5-7 years (I gather from the Year Zero episode it has actually be seven) is more than enough time to have dealt with that problem. If you're Batman. Hell, with Bruce Wayne's resources rather than his catch as catch can resources, the Punisher would've cleaned out Gotham City in... well, fewer than two...
    Couldn't agree more Mr. Grant. I can't understand why DC's keep restraining Batman.

If you're Batman. Hell, with Bruce Wayne's resources rather than his catch as catch can resources, the Punisher would've cleaned out Gotham City in... well, fewer than two...
    The Punisher has always benefited from the action fiction trope where the hero has a pistol, the villains have automatic weapons, yet every shot by the hero finds its target, while the small army of villains can't even score a flesh wound (or maybe a flesh wound which is fully healed by the next scene). And at least the Punisher is almost certainly surprised that nobody has succeeded in killing him yet (at least I hope he is depicted that way by whoever is writing him).

Between a code against killing and not playing well with others, not to mention the on-the-job training, it makes sense that Batman would not be able to take on organized crime (well, maybe the Mafia, but not the new gangs which have no compunctions against blowing up a restaurant filled with people to take out a single person dining there) in a short time. Perhaps he was able to come up with a plan 3 or 4 years ago which is only coming to fruition now, and open up plotlines for the aftermath.

One major Batman trope is that holding a hostage doesn't work; he'll figure out a way to free the hostage and take the bad guy, and he'll do it, confident that he will not fail. I don't know if the current incarnation of Batman would take a chance at collateral damage in order to take out the bad guys, though. Still, in a major city with several million people, "he's only one man" actually has significance.

Or, more briefly, if Batman really existed, he would last about 6 months, tops.
    Bart Lidofsky

It turns out I misremembered that. It's been seven years, not five. Mea culpa.

- Grant
    Meh that's not a big difference you just added two years.
    not a big mistake in my book at all.

Thanks for the nice response.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolinhed View Post
    The Steve Gerber Hawkeye stories were in a comic called Avengers Spotlight; the Gerber ones were in issues 30-34 and 36, apparently.

I am slowly getting to every Gerber story I can find, and am constantly surprised by discoveries like this. I recently found some back issues of another Marvel Title I had not known - Marvel Comics Presents, maybe? - that had a serialized Gerber Man-Thing run for 12 issues or so. I hope pieces like this get anthologized in trade paperback at some point!! I have been encouraged to see Gerber's Hard Times and Superman/ Phantom Zone get trade paperback treatment recently, not to mention the Man-Thing Omnibus and the Infernal Man-Thing book. I hope it continues.
    Thank you i love Hawkeye.

I haven't read a comic book in years, either. But I'll come back to comic book-related columns to read Steven Grant.

I'm kind of jealous that Steven remembers his first comic.

Steven, it's fantastic to have you back. I've actually been jonesing for your writing on comics so much that a couple months ago I started re-reading Master of the Obvious from the beginning. Here's hoping your stay ends up being more than "temporary"!
    Last edited by Jason Green; 07-02-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Steven, it's fantastic to have you back. I've actually been jonesing for your writing on comics so much that a couple months ago I started re-reading Master of the Obvious from the beginning. Here's hoping your stay ends up being more than "temporary"!
    Everything is temporary.
    Bart Lidofsky