Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hibbs View Post
    I'm told that they since clarified that they're making a smaller percentage of cover price, after manufacturing costs, even AFTER they add the buck to the consumer price. They are not "losing money" -- they are making a lower return-on-investment.

-B
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks, that makes a whole lot more sense.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Brian, you're making a bad assumption about the issue of "growing the market".

The companies don't give a rat-frak about "growing the market"! Their eyes are on Hollywood now. The comic divisions are nothing but holding companies for IP franchises and R&D for proposed new characters (and the later only rarely these days).

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

In some ways sales to the end customer are almost irrelevant to DC on this, except in that retailers who are stuck with lots of books are not happy and don't have cash flow to keep ordering as many books down the road, and will be resistant to future events of this nature. However, retailers almost have to take the risk and buy in, as alienated and lost customer base hurts the business as much if not more than unsold stock.

-M
    As a retailer of 20 years, I am already resistant to events of this nature. The last handful of them have made me so, I have run out of fingers that aren't already burned.

I really do not have the time or inclination to do the massive amount of legwork for DC on this initiative to make it work even half-assedly. The incentive of future sales is not there, so why would I? Also, I don't sell to speculators, I sell to readers (that just end up being collectors by default). Therefore I have been assaulting my regular pull-and-holds for hard numbers on all of these books (using copies of CSN #1358, thanks CSN), and for virtually all titles I will be ordering SUBS ONLY.

It will hurt my bottom line, but I've done the number crunching and I'll get by. My aim is 100% sell-through, which of course would be 0% loss; I simply refuse to take a beating on this, for every point that Brian makes and then some. I am only glad that these are ".1" issues, so when customers ask when Batman #24 comes out, I can tell them October.

The only wild card is how much it will hurt sales of DC's line in October, as every single title that month will in effect be "shipping late", and it has been proven a million times over that late shipping hurts sales. DC are the ones alienating their customer base by taking their entire regular line away from them for an entire month. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    The companies don't give a rat-frak about "growing the market"! Their eyes are on Hollywood now. The comic divisions are nothing but holding companies for IP franchises and R&D for proposed new characters (and the later only rarely these days).
    If this is true, why bother with such an event in the first place? Lenticular covers and lower sales do nothing for the IP.
    I'm not saying you are wrong. Just pointing out how ridiculous this action is.

^Because the bean-counters in Marketing tell them that this is the best way to "spike" sales. And that however many point jump in sales (even for just an issue or two) is what it's all about in the monthlies now.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but the rogues gallery is one of my favorite aspects of Batman. It's loaded with interesting characters: Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, etc. And as somebody who's new to the comic book scene (excluding a few graphic novels I bought at bookstores), I find the amount of product to be really overwhelming (and way beyond my income level). So cherry picking issues that feature my favorite villains is a good way to get a Batman fix without it getting out of control. The Joker's Asylum series, for example, seems like a great idea for people like me.

The villains connected to other super heroes, however, I'm not so interested in. Lex Luthor maybe. But that's about it.