Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thunderbolts #11 *Spoilers*

Here we are, at the end of both the second arc and Daniel Way's tenure on the series.

Summary: Venom plots another confrontation against Rulk with Wade. Punisher, Elektra, Leader, and Rulk go to confront Orestez; Elektra realizes it's a trap but Rulk proceeds to fall for it. Leader takes steps to protect the team from outside surveillance and Elektra is forced to make a difficult decision. Mercy continues to goad Leader.

The Good: The arc wraps up more cleanly than I thought, with several interesting character beats (particularly for Elektra, Rulk, and Leader). While I do feel like his art seems rushed, Noto's art is still great to look at and I'll miss him after issue #13.

The Bad: We still have some of the same issues the last arc had; in this case the most obvious is Punisher suddenly being with the group after Rulk jumped a pretty good distance away without him last issue. There is action in this issue, but it is primarily owned by Rulk. Given the character beats the other characters get this isn't a terrible thing, but it would have been nice to see the rest of the team contribute to the action.

Arc overview: This second arc is leagues better than the first, with Way making improvements in scripting and us getting an artist that seems to be more acceptable than Dillon was. There are still some issues with the narrative, but on the whole this arc was very enjoyable.

Have to say I didn't like this issue at all. The whole situation with Elektra and Orestez was poorly handled and I'm not even sure what he was trying to achieve? He gets the gamma power cells and Crimson Dynamos and was trying to take over the arms trade. Why then set himself up for martyrdom? Why was he going on about being raised by terrorists? The fact that we saw no interaction between the Natchios siblings was annoying; maybe to explain why he was doing what he was. I was hoping Orestez would stick around and be an ongoing villain for the team, instead he is killed off panel by Elektra! I'm so glad Way is going because this book would have been doomed if he stayed on any longer!
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

I know this is Way, but since we don't see his dead body I am going to assume he's still alive. While I wish they had actually interacted, his little trap opened up a few interesting avenues to explore with most of the team, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    I know this is Way, but since we don't see his dead body I am going to assume he's still alive. While I wish they had actually interacted, his little trap opened up a few interesting avenues to explore with most of the team, I think.
    I hope Soule follows this up and maybe reveal he is alive. He has already said he is going to reveal how Punisher escaped prison at the end of his last mini so he is sorting out continuity issues that Way just ignored. Maybe straighten out the continuity errors Way made when he showed Elektra's memories of growing up with Oresetez which they never actually did!

I'm glad this nightmare is over, this issue was a waste of time for me.

There have been two arc's and i didn't found any real threat to this team. It has some action but what for? If in a team book only Rulk has all the fun?

I was expecting a lot more for the last issue of this arc. If Daniel Way continued on board i would stopped right now. Glad he won't.

At least we don't have much of a wait brfore Soule's first standalone issue

lol this series is horrible, I keep buying it for the art and characters tho, so Im part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    lol this series is horrible, I keep buying it for the art and characters tho, so Im part of the problem.
    The new writer Charles Soule takes over next month so hopefully it can be saved! Like you said there are some great characters on this team, it's just that they aren't being used very well. Though I will give Way some credit for Red Leader as I quite like him.

That was very anti-climatic and somewhat boring. There should have been a super ninja battle between Elektra and Orestez; with him winning for the most part but barely surviving in the end. I really hope that Orestez is NOT dead. There should have been some paramilitary guys for Punisher to have combat. I hate, hate, hate, that many key plot points were done off screen and we have no clear idea what happened to Orestez? Elektra just says that he's gone.

I love Rulk, but this is supposed to be a team book; everyone should have had their moments to shine in the spotlight, especially in the last chapter of the story arc. Thunderbolt Ross is stubborn, but he's not stupid. For him to Rulk out in front of the crowd and tell Elektra and Punisher "kill them all!" was very out of character. Daniel Way should have created a team lead by Orestez with a cast like Scorpion, Carnage, Bullseye, a resurrected Abomination, Madman, some rogue AIM scientists, ninjas from the Hand, along with the Crimson Dynamos. That would have made the book much more compelling IMO. There really wasn't much of a challenge.

When I look back to all the interviews that Daniel Way did I just shake my head? I thought that the Avengers were going after the Thunderbolts and there was a big confrontation planned? I guess Marvel cancelled that? I'm looking forward to Charles Soule. I really hope that Marvel brings back Phil Noto on art.
    Last edited by IndigoMX9; 06-19-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    Thunderbolts, New Warriors, and Magneto.

I think the reason I am ok with this issue is that I severely lowered my expectations. Also, my glee over this being Way's last issue may have impacted me... I'll re-evaluate after I re-read the whole arc again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionder View Post
    I'm glad this nightmare is over, this issue was a waste of time for me.

There have been two arc's and i didn't found any real threat to this team. It has some action but what for? If in a team book only Rulk has all the fun?

I was expecting a lot more for the last issue of this arc. If Daniel Way continued on board i would stopped right now. Glad he won't.
    This one of my main problems, I didn't feel any threat from the enemies they have faced. Plus we had no idea why Orestez was doing what he was doing? Then there all the plot holes like why would Elektra think her brother was dead when he was on an international publicity tour for his new book!?!? He may not be Kim Kardashian but a simple Google search would have found him!

Did you guys have open pages from issue #7 and #11? Look at the colors, that is a huge gap in the art too. I have done a review of this in Punisher Central Blog as i always do. I gave the same evaluation as the first arc. We got glimpses of goodness but it wasn't enough for me.

Did you guys aware of the color error when Frank checks the video of the cellphone and see Elektra running with Orestez, his skin color is the same as the Leader?

Did you guys have open pages from issue #7 and #11? Look at the colors, that is a huge gap in the art too. I have done a review of this in Punisher Central Blog as i always do. I gave the same evaluation as the first arc. We got glimpses of goodness but it wasn't enough for me.

Did you guys aware of the color error when Frank checks the video of the cellphone and see Elektra running with Orestez, his skin color is the same as the Leader?
    That's because it was the Leader. He had the neck collar and everything. My interpretation is that Elektra got the Leader to safety after he did his video blackout, and then tracked down her brother (which we really should have seen, as I want to know if she really killed him or not).

Quote Originally Posted by TsaiMeLemoni View Post
    That's because it was the Leader. He had the neck collar and everything. My interpretation is that Elektra got the Leader to safety after he did his video blackout, and then tracked down her brother (which we really should have seen, as I want to know if she really killed him or not).
    I thought it was a colouring error as well because the guy with Elektra had a normal sized head compared to The Leader. I thought that was why h asked Elektra about her brother because he saw her leaving with him on the mobile phone.

While your points make sense, I still can't help but see the Leader. And in many ways it's not that important...with Way's writing it almost never is. All I know is that the Leader wasn't there when Rulk looked for him, and Elektra took off with someone who looked like they had a neck collar and wasn't wearing a business jacket ala Orestez (to me, anyway). With some of the coloring oddities I wouldn't be surprised if that was supposed to be Orestez however.