Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Neither. A Superman movie should be about Superman.

But if I had to choose, Batman; or more accurately, Bruce Wayne. I don't need to see him in the costume, just meeting Bruce Wayne would be enough. I've always felt Supergirl's mere existence diminishes Superman.
    Your name is Kal-El. You are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you've been raised as a human being, you are not one of them
    JOR-EL

Quote Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
    Kara is an ancestor of Kal in the Man of Steel continuity. Not his cousin.
    Oh yeah, the prequelish-tie-in comic... okay, replace "cousin" with "ancestor/relative," then.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

I would be fine with either.

Bruce Wayne would be an interesting counterpoint to Lex Luthor in the likely "way to control Superman or at least get us a Superman we can control" plot/subplot of the sequel.

Alternately, Kara having to adapt to life on Earth after growing up on Krypton would be an excellent choice to be a counter-point to Clark (who grew up among humans) and sort of anti-Zod figure. Throw in some Byrne-era drama with Lex finding and befriending her before Clark finds her and some attempts to use the wreckage of the birthing matrix to create a Superman clone and you've have some strong sci-fi elements to play off of.

So it really depends on if they want to work with the drama of the human reaction to Superman as your main plot (using Bruce as the ethical one looking for Superman counter-measures vs. Lex as the unethical one) or something more sci-fi/Krypton related as your main plot.

Since the idea is to eventually lead to Justice League, I'd go with Batman. Not only would it be more lucrative for WB, but each member of the league should stand apart in their abilities & what they bring to the table for the group dynamic. If Kara is around, then there'd be no reason to not have 2 Kryptonians on the team thus eliminating the need for just about everyone else.

Cameo Batman, show a Daily Planet headline mentioning a missing pilot, a tabloid proclaiming "Atlantis Found!", things like that. Nothing gratuitous like Marvel did with Iron Man 2; just little touches that don't detract from MOS 2's story.

Expanded Kryptonian universe is the easy answer for me. It would be tricky, but you might even be able to tell this story!

Neither should be in the movie, but Batman should be referenced in subtle ways possible, like Clark is seen writing an article on a vigilante in Gotham, but only for a second as Lois or Perry interrupts him. As for Kara, she had her own chance in her own movie and that failed miserably. Yes, she could be brought back like how Anne Hathaway revitalized Catwoman, but what would be her purpose? Honestly, Kara has absolutely no purpose, but I'd rather have her than Kandor. Anyways, I agree with the guy who said adding in Kara will take away from it being Superman's movie, just like the Superman/Batman arc took away from it being about those two characters by adding Kara, Darkseid and such. She's just not that important.

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

Is this even a choice? Other than in a hypothetical Justice League (and even there, it'd take a lot of contrivances and narrative handholding), Batman has no place in a Superman movie. Comics are one thing, but I cannot conceive anybody taking Batman seriously in the Man of Steel world. If there absolutely must be a guest star between those two, then Supergirl all the way.
    Last edited by Self-DCeit; 06-29-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Neither.

But if I absolutely HAD to choose, I'd say Supergirl

I'd rather neither. Superman should be about Superman and I'm hoping MoS2 will focus more on the characters than MoS 1 did. However, if made to choose at gunpoint: Supergirl.

I would like to see Supergirl in MOS2. The setup in already there so why not capitalize on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbml2104 View Post
    I would like to see Supergirl in MOS2. The setup in already there so why not capitalize on it.
    ....but Wayne Enterprises is as well. HMMMM. They can defiantly expand on the "YOU ARE NOT ALONE" message.

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    ....but Wayne Enterprises is as well. HMMMM. They can defiantly expand on the "YOU ARE NOT ALONE" message.
    Yes but if DC wants the more public awareness for the other DC characters then MOS2 would be a good movie to introduce Supergirl. The GA is very much aware of Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    I'm starting to think that there is going to be a cameo by Batman in the sequel.

I would say Batman but only as an after credits scene. Adding Supergirl so early will take away from Superman being special. We had Kryptonians in first movie. The second needs to show more of Clark and show Superman learning his powers more.