Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 113
  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    8,471

    Default Batman & Batgirl #21 Preview/Discussion

    What deal would you make to bring someone back from the dead? And in this issue, it's Batman vs. Batgirl!

    Full article here.

    ---

    Looks great.

  2. #2
    Elder Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    18,989

    Default

    Eh. But one thing that surprised me was this in the article:
    After temporary paralysis, Oracle, and Damien's gruesome death, Barbara Gordon -- a.k.a. Batgirl -- sheds the Bat Symbol altogether...but will Batman's attempts to bring Damien back from the dead threaten to crush her bond with him once and for all?!
    Has DC officially made it clear that Babs was "Oracle" at some point in the New 52, or is this just written by somebody who is a bit clueless?

    (It could be the latter, since I thought we were dealing with Damian here.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

  3. #3
    Elder Member Sean Walsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    12,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Eh. But one thing that surprised me was this in the article:
    Has DC officially made it clear that Babs was "Oracle" at some point in the New 52, or is this just written by somebody who is a bit clueless?

    (It could be the latter, since I thought we were dealing with Damian here.)
    Is it just me, or is that solicit basically stating that Batgirl's not Batgirl? If so, how does that leave her in her series where.....um.....she's Batgirl?

  4. #4

    Default

    So what kind of insane act will Bruce make this time?
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ed Sizzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Eh. But one thing that surprised me was this in the article:
    Has DC officially made it clear that Babs was "Oracle" at some point in the New 52, or is this just written by somebody who is a bit clueless?
    Yeah, I suspect that's just the MTV blurb, rather than an official solicit, so it's a little misinformed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    Is it just me, or is that solicit basically stating that Batgirl's not Batgirl? If so, how does that leave her in her series where.....um.....she's Batgirl?
    Yes and no. She's removed the bat symbol from her costume. But for the time being at least, she's still out in said costume, doing standard Batgirl stuff.

    "The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

  6. #6
    Elder Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    18,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sizzers View Post
    Yes and no. She's removed the bat symbol from her costume. But for the time being at least, she's still out in said costume, doing standard Batgirl stuff.
    That's a move that completely baffles me . . . you want to divirce yourself from the Batgirl thing, but still have the pointy ears on the cowl and a few other Bat motifs on the outfit?

    Can't she at least take the pointy ears off the mask as well?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bluebow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That's a move that completely baffles me . . . you want to divirce yourself from the Batgirl thing, but still have the pointy ears on the cowl and a few other Bat motifs on the outfit?

    Can't she at least take the pointy ears off the mask as well?
    Nor does she have a problem using Bararangs and calling them by that name.
    Eppur si muove.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    i think the presence of the symbol usually means you've got batman's approval. note how jason gained batman vouching for him around the time he picked up the symbol.

    otherwise; you end up being treated like huntress and spoiler in the old 52... so barbara has no replaced jason and steph as the unfavorite of the bat fam

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Interesting. I think we are supposed to think of being a Bat as part of a compulsion that the participants don't want to question. I'm glad the Jim Jr stuff is going to come up in this issue. Still really curious as to how all these stages of grief hang together when it's over.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    New 52 Batgirl is unreadable, and these few pages immediately annoyed me. Barbara's thoughts are rarely ever interesting, yet we constantly have to sit through her inner monologues about reassuring herself of things that she should have gotten over years ago. She's the weak link in the Batman family.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bluebow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    i think the presence of the symbol usually means you've got batman's approval. note how jason gained batman vouching for him around the time he picked up the symbol.

    otherwise; you end up being treated like huntress and spoiler in the old 52... so barbara has no replaced jason and steph as the unfavorite of the bat fam
    I don't think she has even been her own fan in the Bat family since the reboot, despite getting Batman's explicit approval in one of the early issues
    Eppur si muove.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Not really looking forward to this issue.

    On the upside, at least there's a decent enough fill-in artist, but on the downside, dear lord the monologue boxes are ridiculously annoying here. It's bad enough in Batgirl itself but it's especially jarring with a book like B&R which has been pretty monologue light for the most part.

    Probably will only end up reading it to see what's developed in the Carrie storyline, but it could surprise me.
    Last edited by minasithil; 06-13-2013 at 01:29 PM.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minasithil View Post
    Not really looking forward to this issue.

    On the upside, at least there's a decent enough fill-in artist, but on the downside, dear lord the monologue boxes are ridiculously annoying here. It's bad enough in Batgirl itself but it's especially jarring with a book like B&R which has been pretty monologue light for the most part.

    Probably will only end up reading it to see what's developed in the Carrie storyline, but it could surprise me.
    It's really weird how Batman & Robin stuck really closely to Batman Inc with the Born to Kill story arc, it had other members of the Inc (that Russian dude who got melted by Nobody, and in Inc Batman referenced how Damian killed Nobody, but right when Damian died Tomasi started referencing the New 52 world, I kinda like how you can read Born to Kill and then Requiem and then jump off of Batman and Robin.

  14. #14
    Senior Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Eh. But one thing that surprised me was this in the article:
    Has DC officially made it clear that Babs was "Oracle" at some point in the New 52, or is this just written by somebody who is a bit clueless?

    (It could be the latter, since I thought we were dealing with Damian here.)
    Yes, it was stated in one of the earlier issues that Babs was oracle for a few months.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

  15. #15
    The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago,IL
    Posts
    11,747

    Default

    Interesting. Preview reads like an issue of Batgirl.

    Btw, Babs was not Oracle. It was very evident in the recent issue of Batgirl.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •