Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Batman & Batgirl #21 Preview/Discussion

What deal would you make to bring someone back from the dead? And in this issue, it's Batman vs. Batgirl!

Full article here.

---

Looks great.

Eh. But one thing that surprised me was this in the article:
    After temporary paralysis, Oracle, and Damien's gruesome death, Barbara Gordon -- a.k.a. Batgirl -- sheds the Bat Symbol altogether...but will Batman's attempts to bring Damien back from the dead threaten to crush her bond with him once and for all?!
    Has DC officially made it clear that Babs was "Oracle" at some point in the New 52, or is this just written by somebody who is a bit clueless?

(It could be the latter, since I thought we were dealing with Damian here.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Has DC officially made it clear that Babs was "Oracle" at some point in the New 52, or is this just written by somebody who is a bit clueless?

Is it just me, or is that solicit basically stating that Batgirl's not Batgirl? If so, how does that leave her in her series where.....um.....she's Batgirl?

So what kind of insane act will Bruce make this time?
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

Yeah, I suspect that's just the MTV blurb, rather than an official solicit, so it's a little misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    Is it just me, or is that solicit basically stating that Batgirl's not Batgirl? If so, how does that leave her in her series where.....um.....she's Batgirl?
    Yes and no. She's removed the bat symbol from her costume. But for the time being at least, she's still out in said costume, doing standard Batgirl stuff.

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sizzers View Post
    Yes and no. She's removed the bat symbol from her costume. But for the time being at least, she's still out in said costume, doing standard Batgirl stuff.
    That's a move that completely baffles me . . . you want to divirce yourself from the Batgirl thing, but still have the pointy ears on the cowl and a few other Bat motifs on the outfit?

Can't she at least take the pointy ears off the mask as well?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That's a move that completely baffles me . . . you want to divirce yourself from the Batgirl thing, but still have the pointy ears on the cowl and a few other Bat motifs on the outfit?

Can't she at least take the pointy ears off the mask as well?
    Nor does she have a problem using Bararangs and calling them by that name.
    Eppur si muove.

i think the presence of the symbol usually means you've got batman's approval. note how jason gained batman vouching for him around the time he picked up the symbol.

otherwise; you end up being treated like huntress and spoiler in the old 52... so barbara has no replaced jason and steph as the unfavorite of the bat fam

Interesting. I think we are supposed to think of being a Bat as part of a compulsion that the participants don't want to question. I'm glad the Jim Jr stuff is going to come up in this issue. Still really curious as to how all these stages of grief hang together when it's over.

BANNED

New 52 Batgirl is unreadable, and these few pages immediately annoyed me. Barbara's thoughts are rarely ever interesting, yet we constantly have to sit through her inner monologues about reassuring herself of things that she should have gotten over years ago. She's the weak link in the Batman family.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    i think the presence of the symbol usually means you've got batman's approval. note how jason gained batman vouching for him around the time he picked up the symbol.

otherwise; you end up being treated like huntress and spoiler in the old 52... so barbara has no replaced jason and steph as the unfavorite of the bat fam
    I don't think she has even been her own fan in the Bat family since the reboot, despite getting Batman's explicit approval in one of the early issues
    Eppur si muove.

Not really looking forward to this issue.

On the upside, at least there's a decent enough fill-in artist, but on the downside, dear lord the monologue boxes are ridiculously annoying here. It's bad enough in Batgirl itself but it's especially jarring with a book like B&R which has been pretty monologue light for the most part.

Probably will only end up reading it to see what's developed in the Carrie storyline, but it could surprise me.
    Last edited by minasithil; 06-13-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minasithil View Post
    Not really looking forward to this issue.

On the upside, at least there's a decent enough fill-in artist, but on the downside, dear lord the monologue boxes are ridiculously annoying here. It's bad enough in Batgirl itself but it's especially jarring with a book like B&R which has been pretty monologue light for the most part.

Probably will only end up reading it to see what's developed in the Carrie storyline, but it could surprise me.
    It's really weird how Batman & Robin stuck really closely to Batman Inc with the Born to Kill story arc, it had other members of the Inc (that Russian dude who got melted by Nobody, and in Inc Batman referenced how Damian killed Nobody, but right when Damian died Tomasi started referencing the New 52 world, I kinda like how you can read Born to Kill and then Requiem and then jump off of Batman and Robin.

Yes, it was stated in one of the earlier issues that Babs was oracle for a few months.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Interesting. Preview reads like an issue of Batgirl.

Btw, Babs was not Oracle. It was very evident in the recent issue of Batgirl.