Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, #1

Style is substance in Gerard Way and Becky Cloonan's latest, a flashy debut issue that hints at greatness on the level of "Umbrella Academy" but doesn't quite deliver.

Full review here.

I bought this solely for Becky's art, I had no idea the writer was in MCR. I've never listened to them, maybe I'll listen to that album and read it again for context... as it was I found myself flipping pages and just looking at the art.
    Current Favorites:
    Saga / Manhattan Projects / East of West / Zero / Hawkeye / Alex + Ada / The Wake

Wow you should really read Umbrella Academy, it's great and the TPBs can be had for pretty cheap.

I enjoyed the book, I really want to get the Way Ghost Variant cover. I enjoyed the story and Im on board for the series.

I enjoyed it too, mostly. The dialogue was pretty natural and the DJ's banter was fun. Didn't really care for the last 5 pages being series of random images that won't make sense until later.

I enjoyed it but can someone explain does the Umbrella Academy comics actually provide a direct prequal for this or is the story of the Fabulous Killjoys actually in a music album?
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond

Loved it. And as far as I can tell Umbrella Academy is not related to the Killjoys.
    Gerard Way's music does nothing for me, but he's one hell of a comic book writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    I enjoyed it but can someone explain does the Umbrella Academy comics actually provide a direct prequal for this or is the story of the Fabulous Killjoys actually in a music album?
    This series has nothing to do with Umbrella Academy, aside from it being by the same writer.
    My Chemical Romance's last album, "Danger Days: the True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys," serves as the inspiration for this comic. Their music videos "Na Na Na" and "Sing" tell the story of the Killjoys as they protect the Girl and fight against BL/I.
    Avengers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, FF, Hawkeye, New Avengers
    Animal Man, Batman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League
    Saga, Thief of Thieves.

This isn't a sequel to Umbrella Academy. It's a standalone series. If it's a sequel to anything, it's to the My Chemical Romance album Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys. If you want to catch up on background info, the lyrics of the album won't really help that much. What will help is watching the two videos they made for the album based on the concept: Na Na Na (Na Na Na...), and Sing. They're both on youtube. The visuals provide background to the comic. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by kingmob99 View Post
    This isn't a sequel to Umbrella Academy. It's a standalone series. If it's a sequel to anything, it's to the My Chemical Romance album Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys. If you want to catch up on background info, the lyrics of the album won't really help that much. What will help is watching the two videos they made for the album based on the concept: Na Na Na (Na Na Na...), and Sing. They're both on youtube. The visuals provide background to the comic. Enjoy!
    Thank you watched them and got it now. So was that Grant Morrison in those music videos?
    "They can try, but no one's gonna care." Legendary Quote by MartinRedmond

Thank you watched them and got it now. So was that Grant Morrison in those music videos?
    Certainly was. I like the fact that Becky Cloonan actually modelled the character in the comic off his appearance. Keeps it consistent, and hey, who would object to a psuedo-Grant Morrison comic character?