Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkingbird13 View Post
    I think it was already a bit sexist when Journey into Mystery and Red She-Hulk didn't get a #1 when the lead characters changed, while the other books did.
    Actually this has been one of the problems of the series, but not only in this series but others like Red She-Hulk or Dark Avengers, change things that already worked without realizing that this could become a problem, it really was a mistake of the publisher, having been numbered with a new number 1, maybe could have done that the book will work a little better or maybe it have been finished in the same manner and been canceled in the same way, is what happens when is given little publicity or they did incomprehensible changes to some already existing series.

I propose a hypothetical case, What would have happened if this series, Marvel had canceled right after the end of Kieron Gillen´s run with Loki and they had waited two or three months and they publishes or announced a Volume 3 of Journey Into Mystery with a brand new #1 but instead of a character like Sif it had been the Enchantress and her sister Lorelei, the main characters of the series and the writer would have been Neil Gaiman and the artist Terry Dodson or Oliver Coipel?

Would it have worked the book or would have ended in the same way?

Rulk needs his moustache! ResIpsaLoquitur's Avatar

I'm not in favor of the new #1 push. Some marketing would have helped, though. Maybe if JiM #646 (or even #649 with the Spidey appearance) had been the Free Comic Book Day title instead of the non-starter Infinity Prelude which confused a lot of people...
    "Well, last night's episode was a very special episode. They revealed that the Incredible Hulk has an evil twin. And he's not green. He's red."

Few days on drugs? Lovely pepper's Avatar

Such a shame, but I can't say this was unexpected. And it was the only female lead title I actually liked too. :/

BANNED

I question if Marvel was even trying to make Sif successful by putting her in a book that was already low-selling.

This is ridiculous. It's one of the most solid books Marvel's putting out. The art is gorgeous. The writing is top notch.

WTF?!
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Rulk needs his moustache! ResIpsaLoquitur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starclops View Post
    I question if Marvel was even trying to make Sif successful by putting her in a book that was already low-selling.
    According to Comichron, the last Loki issue sold 20,705 issues. The first Sif issue (#646) went up to 22,898.

Here's how the rest dropped off:

647: 22,541
    648: 20,887
    649: 20,064 (this was the Superior Spidey issue--no boost here)
    650: 19,007
    651: 17,443
    652: 16,873

So the book got a brief post-Loki bump, but steadily dropped off after that. Sigh.
    "Well, last night's episode was a very special episode. They revealed that the Incredible Hulk has an evil twin. And he's not green. He's red."

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
    According to Comichron, the last Loki issue sold 20,705 issues. The first Sif issue (#646) went up to 22,898.

Here's how the rest dropped off:

647: 22,541
    648: 20,887
    649: 20,064 (this was the Superior Spidey issue--no boost here)
    650: 19,007
    651: 17,443
    652: 16,873

So the book got a brief post-Loki bump, but steadily dropped off after that. Sigh.
    I do think part of the problem was that the first issue was not great. Since then, I've greatly enjoyed the run, but I'm not surprised to see the drop off after issue 647, unfortunately.

I would have preferred both this and RSH got new #1 pushes. If nothing else, I bet their first issue would have started a lot higher (with a #1) than they did (with no renumbering), which would have given the titles longer to build an audience.

Well, don't stop buying it because it may end. It's still top quality stuff.

I don't want this to end.
    Winner of the 1st Annual CBR X-Board Fantasy Football League
    Winner of the 2nd Annual CBR X-Board Fantasy Football League

Quote Originally Posted by Starclops View Post
    Its Sif. Journey into Mystery has more name value than "Sif". Marvel did the same with FUTURE FOUNDATION. I think the fatal flaw in books like this is that are linked to their more popular companion and these less popular character are not fighting more popular opponents or having more popular characters guest star in a meaningful way.
    GET WELL GEORGE LOPEZ

What is wrong with Marvel readers being such a boys club!

Red She-Hulk, now this(maybe).

Let's don't act like Fearless Defenders or Captain Marvel aren't on watch.

Meanwhile DC fans keep female solo lead books: Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Batgirl, Batwoman, Supergirl and Birds of Prey all going.
    Not to mention strong roles for the ladies in Demon Knights and JLD.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    What is wrong with Marvel readers being such a boys club!

Red She-Hulk, now this(maybe).

Let's don't act like Fearless Defenders or Captain Marvel aren't on watch.

Meanwhile DC fans keep female solo lead books: Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Batgirl, Batwoman, Supergirl and Birds of Prey all going.
    Not to mention strong roles for the ladies in Demon Knights and JLD.
    You do realize that Xmen(all female cast) was the number one book in all of comics in May. Its not the gender so much as the market that Marvel and DC has created makes lower tier characters harder sales.
    GET WELL GEORGE LOPEZ

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huthaifa View Post
    Its Sif. Journey into Mystery has more name value than "Sif". Marvel did the same with FUTURE FOUNDATION. I think the fatal flaw in books like this is that are linked to their more popular companion and these less popular character are not fighting more popular opponents or having more popular characters guest star in a meaningful way.
    True, but they could of at least renumbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Huthaifa View Post
    You do realize that Xmen(all female cast) was the number one book in all of comics in May. Its not the gender so much as the market that Marvel and DC has created makes lower tier characters harder sales.
    So true. It's easy to overlook this point, but it's also easy to overlook that it IS X-Men starring all of the high profile female X-Men sans Emma and the deceased Jean Grey. Besides the rabid readership, 10/10 times Marvel will promote that book over something like Red She-Hulk or JIM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

A pity but it never got the following it needed.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”