Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 101
  1. #16
    Senior Member Charlie_1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    2,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkingbird13 View Post
    I think it was already a bit sexist when Journey into Mystery and Red She-Hulk didn't get a #1 when the lead characters changed, while the other books did.
    Actually this has been one of the problems of the series, but not only in this series but others like Red She-Hulk or Dark Avengers, change things that already worked without realizing that this could become a problem, it really was a mistake of the publisher, having been numbered with a new number 1, maybe could have done that the book will work a little better or maybe it have been finished in the same manner and been canceled in the same way, is what happens when is given little publicity or they did incomprehensible changes to some already existing series.

    I propose a hypothetical case, What would have happened if this series, Marvel had canceled right after the end of Kieron Gillen´s run with Loki and they had waited two or three months and they publishes or announced a Volume 3 of Journey Into Mystery with a brand new #1 but instead of a character like Sif it had been the Enchantress and her sister Lorelei, the main characters of the series and the writer would have been Neil Gaiman and the artist Terry Dodson or Oliver Coipel?

    Would it have worked the book or would have ended in the same way?

  2. #17
    Rulk needs his moustache! ResIpsaLoquitur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    I'm not in favor of the new #1 push. Some marketing would have helped, though. Maybe if JiM #646 (or even #649 with the Spidey appearance) had been the Free Comic Book Day title instead of the non-starter Infinity Prelude which confused a lot of people...
    "Well, last night's episode was a very special episode. They revealed that the Incredible Hulk has an evil twin. And he's not green. He's red."

  3. #18
    Few days on drugs? Lovely pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Such a shame, but I can't say this was unexpected. And it was the only female lead title I actually liked too. :/

  4. #19
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    I question if Marvel was even trying to make Sif successful by putting her in a book that was already low-selling.

  5. #20
    Completely sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    8,285

    Default

    This is ridiculous. It's one of the most solid books Marvel's putting out. The art is gorgeous. The writing is top notch.

    WTF?!
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  6. #21
    Rulk needs his moustache! ResIpsaLoquitur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starclops View Post
    I question if Marvel was even trying to make Sif successful by putting her in a book that was already low-selling.
    According to Comichron, the last Loki issue sold 20,705 issues. The first Sif issue (#646) went up to 22,898.

    Here's how the rest dropped off:

    647: 22,541
    648: 20,887
    649: 20,064 (this was the Superior Spidey issue--no boost here)
    650: 19,007
    651: 17,443
    652: 16,873

    So the book got a brief post-Loki bump, but steadily dropped off after that. Sigh.
    "Well, last night's episode was a very special episode. They revealed that the Incredible Hulk has an evil twin. And he's not green. He's red."

  7. #22
    Senior Member santino27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
    According to Comichron, the last Loki issue sold 20,705 issues. The first Sif issue (#646) went up to 22,898.

    Here's how the rest dropped off:

    647: 22,541
    648: 20,887
    649: 20,064 (this was the Superior Spidey issue--no boost here)
    650: 19,007
    651: 17,443
    652: 16,873

    So the book got a brief post-Loki bump, but steadily dropped off after that. Sigh.
    I do think part of the problem was that the first issue was not great. Since then, I've greatly enjoyed the run, but I'm not surprised to see the drop off after issue 647, unfortunately.

    I would have preferred both this and RSH got new #1 pushes. If nothing else, I bet their first issue would have started a lot higher (with a #1) than they did (with no renumbering), which would have given the titles longer to build an audience.

  8. #23
    Old and broken Pat Thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,816

    Default

    Well, don't stop buying it because it may end. It's still top quality stuff.

  9. #24
    Swagneto THE KZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    363

    Default

    I don't want this to end.
    Winner of the 1st Annual CBR X-Board Fantasy Football League
    Winner of the 2nd Annual CBR X-Board Fantasy Football League

  10. #25
    Senior Member Huthaifa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starclops View Post
    I question if Marvel was even trying to make Sif successful by putting her in a book that was already low-selling.
    Its Sif. Journey into Mystery has more name value than "Sif". Marvel did the same with FUTURE FOUNDATION. I think the fatal flaw in books like this is that are linked to their more popular companion and these less popular character are not fighting more popular opponents or having more popular characters guest star in a meaningful way.
    GET WELL GEORGE LOPEZ

  11. #26
    Senior Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,743

    Default

    What is wrong with Marvel readers being such a boys club!

    Red She-Hulk, now this(maybe).

    Let's don't act like Fearless Defenders or Captain Marvel aren't on watch.

    Meanwhile DC fans keep female solo lead books: Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Batgirl, Batwoman, Supergirl and Birds of Prey all going.
    Not to mention strong roles for the ladies in Demon Knights and JLD.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

  12. #27
    Senior Member Huthaifa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    What is wrong with Marvel readers being such a boys club!

    Red She-Hulk, now this(maybe).

    Let's don't act like Fearless Defenders or Captain Marvel aren't on watch.

    Meanwhile DC fans keep female solo lead books: Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Batgirl, Batwoman, Supergirl and Birds of Prey all going.
    Not to mention strong roles for the ladies in Demon Knights and JLD.
    You do realize that Xmen(all female cast) was the number one book in all of comics in May. Its not the gender so much as the market that Marvel and DC has created makes lower tier characters harder sales.
    GET WELL GEORGE LOPEZ

  13. #28
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huthaifa View Post
    Its Sif. Journey into Mystery has more name value than "Sif". Marvel did the same with FUTURE FOUNDATION. I think the fatal flaw in books like this is that are linked to their more popular companion and these less popular character are not fighting more popular opponents or having more popular characters guest star in a meaningful way.
    True, but they could of at least renumbered.

  14. #29
    Elder Member BrotherUnitNo_4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huthaifa View Post
    You do realize that Xmen(all female cast) was the number one book in all of comics in May. Its not the gender so much as the market that Marvel and DC has created makes lower tier characters harder sales.
    So true. It's easy to overlook this point, but it's also easy to overlook that it IS X-Men starring all of the high profile female X-Men sans Emma and the deceased Jean Grey. Besides the rabid readership, 10/10 times Marvel will promote that book over something like Red She-Hulk or JIM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

    Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

    Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

  15. #30
    I'm a male DebkoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    17,028

    Default

    A pity but it never got the following it needed.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •