Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Jun 11, 2013

Augie is confused by Marvel's Ultimate Comics Universe and locates the problem with the publishing program. Also, can DC repeat Marvel's lessons from their late 90s comeback?

Full article here.

Why does anyone need to hold your hand with comics anymore? Just go to wikipedia and look it up. They literally have a whole list of all the Ultimate Comics broken down into the various franchises, sorted by the date they were published.

The problems with renumbering and restarting are endemic to the entire industry. The only reason the Ultimate line seems confusing is because it overuses a single word.

the main problem with the Ultimate line is not enough Jessica Drew

seriously though. I treat it as sort of a bite sized universe. there are only 3 books, and they hit the three biggest names in Marvel: X-men, Spider-man, and Ultimates (Avengers)

what makes the Ultimate universe unique post "Ultimatum" is that they have tossed the "world out your window" concept. where 616 has to have at least a passing resemblance to the real world the Ultimate universe does not. thats why they can have Reed Richards destroy half of Europe by displacing them with a super race city, or have Cap be president when the US devolves into civil war. Anything can happen in the Ultimate U and it wont be retconned in order to reestablish a status quo

It's sad that the Big 2 are unwilling to let their creators tell stories without a mandate from on high. I've given up most titles from DC and Marvel. There are great stories being told from Dark Horse and other companies. I still love a lot of characters from the Big 2, but they don't have creative freedom, and that is the whole problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zooBATZ View Post
    It's sad that the Big 2 are unwilling to let their creators tell stories without a mandate from on high. I've given up most titles from DC and Marvel. There are great stories being told from Dark Horse and other companies. I still love a lot of characters from the Big 2, but they don't have creative freedom, and that is the whole problem.
    Part of that has to be due to how thinly stretched many of the companies' characters are. It is hard to give creators freedom when the same character is also starring in 5 other comics. Batman can't lose a limb in one comic and not have that occurrence become an issue in another title. Peg leg Batman has to show up in all his comics and that will, inevitably, crimp other creators' stories.

Commander Dark Guard CaptainMarvell's Avatar

Its actually very easy to figure out the reading order for Ultimate. There's a thread on this very forum that lists the reading order, issue by issue. Ultimates is on its third writer right now. Hickman started, did a great job and got moved to Avengers. Humphries was terrible, so they made a move to Fialkov. Is three writers in 2 years really that different from other titles? Overall, before those three it was Millar and Loeb. So yeah, 5 writers over the span of 11 years. How horrible and confusing that must be.

Honestly, Ultimate Spider-Man has been the only Ultimate comic worth buying for a LONG TIME*.

If someone was going to start reading "Ultimate Comics" I would start them with the first Miles Morales trade and tell them to only read that book (and Spider-Men!).

(*The Loeb/Adams X-mini was pretty good too, but unfortunately most of the plotlines from that book got dropped immediately in favor of a rather blah Ultimate X-Men relaunch.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gailim View Post
    the main problem with the Ultimate line is not enough Jessica Drew

seriously though. I treat it as sort of a bite sized universe. there are only 3 books, and they hit the three biggest names in Marvel: X-men, Spider-man, and Ultimates (Avengers)

what makes the Ultimate universe unique post "Ultimatum" is that they have tossed the "world out your window" concept. where 616 has to have at least a passing resemblance to the real world the Ultimate universe does not. thats why they can have Reed Richards destroy half of Europe by displacing them with a super race city, or have Cap be president when the US devolves into civil war. Anything can happen in the Ultimate U and it wont be retconned in order to reestablish a status quo
    And thats why this line is a shell of what it once was. Its all about what can they do not what should they do. All the big names are dead good guys and bad guys. The world its contained in is unrelatable there are entire countries gone yet no war or hurt feelings over it apparently. And the only creators interested in this messed up world are newbies getting their foot in the door and if they get any good they are yanked right away. And see the ending of Wildstorm to see how long a post apocolyptic super hero world last. What drama does saving the world have when its already destroyed? Not to mention no characters seem to notice.
    Just say no to lame Ultimate replacement characters.

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

^^^
    I wouldn't call Brian Michael Bendis a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Treqqor View Post
    ^^^
    I wouldn't call Brian Michael Bendis a newbie.
    True but Im sure marvel has been trying to get him off that book and on to 616 spidey. Bendis just isnt interested in it.
    Just say no to lame Ultimate replacement characters.

Commander Dark Guard CaptainMarvell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    Honestly, Ultimate Spider-Man has been the only Ultimate comic worth buying for a LONG TIME*.

If someone was going to start reading "Ultimate Comics" I would start them with the first Miles Morales trade and tell them to only read that book (and Spider-Men!).

(*The Loeb/Adams X-mini was pretty good too, but unfortunately most of the plotlines from that book got dropped immediately in favor of a rather blah Ultimate X-Men relaunch.)
    1000% untrue. The most recent launch of Ultimates had a GREAT story by Jonathan Hickman, with an ending that got butchered by another writer. Ultimate Thor was a great mini-series. Ultimate Wolverine and Ultimate Hawkeye were great reads too.

If someone started reading Ultimate comics, you'd have them start with Miles Morales? No wonder you dislike Ultimate. Most of the stories pre-Ultimatum were fantastic! Getting into Ultimate and skipping all that would be a crime.

Yeah, I'll agree with you on Ultimate X-Men though. A lot of people like it, but it doesn't feel like an X-Men book at all.

Totally agree! I was really into Ultimate Spider-Man. After 15 years of not collecting nor caring about comics, this is the series that brought me back in. I was spending well over $100 a month on various titles. Then they killed Peter Parker and I stopped reading Ultimates, but Amazing Spider-Man was actually good, then OMD happened, thought the series was terrible until Slott took over. He gave me the Peter Parker I always wanted to see - confident, respected, scientist. Then he ruined with Spock and I stopped reading comics altogether with issue 698. I just don't like this idea that EVERY character in all universes have to be "dark" and "gritty." Not to mention all the year long story arks and mega events - "that will change everything" but doesn't nonsense. It reminds me of the period in the early 90s with the multi-varient issues and all that garbage.

Why do writers seem incapable of telling a good story in 2 or 3 issues? As much as I love Snyder's Batman all of his story arks just go on forever.

There was a time when I just loved the Ultimate universe. When it first launched it was full of great ideas and energy, and were the only Marvel titles I read. It slowly began to devolve into the "ultimate version of xxxx character of the month" type storytelling and then Ultimatum became the ULTIMATE jump off point. I hung around with Spider-man for a while but eventually I began to lose interest in that and now Ultimate Comics are just a fond memory for me.

I only followed Ultimate Spider-Man from #1 through The Death of Peter Parker. As much as I want to follow Miles - he very well may be an interesting character - I might one day pick up the trade paperbacks...Peter is Spider-Man. I picked up the first two The Ultimates series, and a few issues of the relaunched The Ultimates. I couldn't get into the X-Men book. Bendis was quoted somewhere saying that they way the original books were launched there just wasn't a way to schedule crossovers between books and characters. That was what drew me to the line, and the Spider-Man book. Stories had to be written in Spider-Man for Ultimate versions of characters. There were no crossovers until Ultimatum and The Death of Peter Parker. The only mini-series I picked up toward the end was Ultimate Secret, which was itself continued in another series somewhere - I forget. The Ultimate line had all the fun of Marvel comics with less of the baggage.
    Last edited by AirDave; 06-12-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Augie is confused by Marvel's Ultimate Comics Universe and locates the problem with the publishing program. Also, can DC repeat Marvel's lessons from their late 90s comeback?

Full article here.
    Miles is better then Peter. I read both, Miles is better then Peter in the ultimate comics.