Page 266 of 266 FirstFirst ... 166216256262263264265266
Results 3,976 to 3,984 of 3984

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost. View Post
    Goyer's betrayal of Snipes? From what I've heard, Snipes was awful to everyone involved in that film: that Snipes was so uncooperative that Goyer had to make the film feature Hannibal King more because Snipes was refusing to act. Was that incorrect? These are two of the many stories I've seen about it:

http://www.efilmcritic.com/feature.php?feature=1451

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...inity-20121119
    You have to ask why the same Wesley Snipes who succesfully completed the first two Blade movies without incident or complaints from any of the Directors, fellow cast members and crews on those films would suddenly become "troublesome" on the set for the third installment.

I'd be less inclined to believe hearsay bandied about by individuals trying to shift the blame for the abysmal Blade:Trinity on Snipes as opposed to accepting the fact that turning Snipes the headliner, into a peripheral bacground character, in favour of aiming the spotlight on two supporting characters was probably the dumbest decision Goyer made as far as that movie (and the subsequent Spike TV spot) was concerned.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    I agree.

Goyer was seemingly dead set on replacing Blade with that lame version of Hannibal King. Snipes had to fight in order to protect the Blade character. i listened to the DVD commentary and apparently there was a dispute about the "rescue" scene where Snipes insisted on not doing the slow motion walkout as a group, which ultimately lead to that cool scene (that was used in trailers) of Blade jumping out of the window and landing on the street with his Sword.
    The fact that the Blade TV series continued the trend of making Blade a background character in his own gig confirmed my suspicions that Goyer was down with the whole depowering/emasculation thing that seems to come into play when it's felt that certain characters have to be artificially "limited" for no other reason than to cater to certain assumed insecurities on the part of certain segments of the audience.

The fact that the first two Blade movies were wildly succesful across all viewing demographics (regardless of ethnicity) was obviously lost on Goyer and then Marc Guggenheim who decided to turn Eric Brook's bi-racial on a whim.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

It just occured to me that with Ewing being such a devotee to continuity, I could easily see him weaving Namor into this book for an arc or two with the threat posed by the Four Who Rule and his friendship with Adam Brashear being the catalyst that makes this idea an interesting one to pursue.

I can see ancient threats like[/SIZE] Chthon

Chthon is a fictional character, a demonic Elder God in the Marvel Comics Universe. His name derives from chthon, the Greek word for "earth" and "earthly", especially pertaining to earth that was not life giving soil, but dark like that of the grave or the underworld. In some instances, Chthon is portrayed as the Marvel equivalent of the primal Devil of some kind predating that of Judeo-Christian teachings, as his creations, the N'Garai, were driven from Earth by the angel Lucifer before his rebellion against God.[1]
    “ A long time ago, when the world was so new nothing had a name, something woke up. It learned all about what was and what would be... but most of all it learned what couldn't be, what shouldn't be. And it gave those things names, names it wrote on indestructible pages, because a namer has mastery of the named. ”

—Diabolique, Darkhold #10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chthon_%28Marvel_Comics%29

and the
    Darkhold, Book of sins
    The Darkhold, also known as The Book of Sins, is a fictional book (a grimoire) in the Marvel Comics universe.

Chthon, a demonic Elder God who was the Earth's first practitioner of black magic, was the principal author of the Darkhold. Being academic, Chthon wrote all his collected knowledge of magic into the iron-bound scrolls that served as the first form of the Darkhold. It remained as the Darkhold after most of the Elder Gods were slain (Chthon and Set managed to escape) by the Demogorge. The Darkhold’s power is so vast it took the combined strength and will of both Merlin and St. Brendan to contain it, and even together, they were unable to destroy it or its power. Mordred also seemed to believe that use of the Darkhold would grant him sufficient strength to challenge Merlin himself.[volume & issue needed]

First vampire

Humans first found the Darkhold during the time of surface Atlantis. When Kull slew Thulsa Doom, Doom's followers, the Darkholders, utilized the Darkhold to create the first vampire, Varnae, dying due to wounds suffered in battle with Kull. Varnae consumed one of the Darkholders who attempted to command him, and began creating other vampires. Some surviving Darkholders managed to make off with the Darkhold before Atlantis sank.[1]

Varnae, when Atlantis sank, went into hibernation and did not revive until circa 10,000 BCE. He found that some parchments of the Darkhold had been left behind in the Flaming Mountains of Khorasha. Varnae attempted to recover these parchments. In an altercation with Conan, Red Sonja, and the sorcerer Zula, Varnae controls the bat-like humanoids the Afterlings. Zula uses a spell from the Darkhold/Chthon Scrolls against Varnae. Zula recites "Shemek Iref Wenek Tjhen Inek It-Ek Chthon Djedeni Emm-Maat Wenen Taeei Hemet Ankh-Ek Isheset Antioo Djedte Nes Sep Iree Nen Renek Anhkhu Wi-Im Valka!" and then notes "I'm sorry the incantation ended where it did-and only hurt Lord Varnae, rather than destroying him." To Zula the words appeared in Stygian, but it has long been known that Chthon cast a spell that makes the Darkhold appear intelligible in any language. In any event, Varnae fled.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkhold

resurfacing again with this whole Deathwalkers business.

So yeah, I don't see Al Ewing's inclusion of Blade, Adam Brashear, Ava Ayala and Victor Alvarez on the Mighty Avengers roster as being a happenstance occurence because in addition to the rest of the group, Ewing's long game may very well end up ushering a new era of supernatural/esoteric science based adventuring the likes of which haven't been seen since the demise of the Midnight Sons and original Defenders books.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    You have to ask why the same Wesley Snipes who succesfully completed the first two Blade movies without incident or complaints from any of the Directors, fellow cast members and crews on those films would suddenly become "troublesome" on the set for the third installment.

I'd be less inclined to believe hearsay bandied about by individuals trying to shift the blame for the abysmal Blade:Trinity on Snipes as opposed to accepting the fact that turning Snipes the headliner, into a peripheral bacground character, in favour of aiming the spotlight on two supporting characters was probably the dumbest decision Goyer made as far as that movie (and the subsequent Spike TV spot) was concerned.
    It should also be noted that Kris Kristofferson was also upset about the Blade Trinity script. Before filming even began Blade Trinity was being treated more as a way of jump starting another franchise (Nightstalkers) rather than being the final film in a Blade Trilogy.

Snipes was without a doubt a headache on the set but much of that was because he didn't like Goyer's script and was trying to protect the Blade character.

"Wesley is Blade; so much of the character was invented by Wesley and his instincts are so spot on. He takes his fighting, his weapons and attitude very seriously. He's incredibly focused, but he's also very cool and fun." - Peter Frankfurt (one of the producers)

"Wesley knows Blade better than David Goyer, better than me, better than anyone else involved in the franchise. He instinctively knows what the character would and wouldn't do, and every time he twists something around, something better would come out." - Guillermo Del Toro

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvell2100 View Post
    The movie version is very cool. His appearance in Curse of the Mutants was pretty much a joke. I haven't read the Deadpool issue with Blade in it so I can't comment on that. CB:MI13 was good along with Hudlin's take on him in Black Panther.
    THIS! Captain Britain and MI:13 is a must read for anyone. Blade is great, love him and Spitfire together; and the stories are just fantastic. Cannot recommend this series more (plus it's only 3 TPBs, so easy to collect).
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

U fellas wnt blv wat we/SZ just found out...UNITED STATES AIR FORCE hv bn researching on antimatta weaponry since d Cold War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

Main article: Antimatter weapon

Antimatter has been considered as a trigger mechanism for nuclear weapons.[51] A major obstacle is the difficulty of producing antimatter in large enough quantities, and there is no evidence that it will ever be feasible.[52] However, the U.S. Air Force funded studies of the physics of antimatter in the Cold War, and began considering its possible use in weapons, not just as a trigger, but as the explosive itself.[53]

Air Force pursuing antimatter weapons / Program was touted publicly, then came official gag order
    Keay Davidson, Chronicle Science Writer
    Published 4:00 am, Monday, October 4, 2004
    http://www.sfgate.com/science/articl...am-2689674.php

During the Cold War, the Air Force funded numerous scientific studies of the basic physics of antimatter. With the knowledge gained, some Air Force insiders are beginning to think seriously about potential military uses -- for example, antimatter bombs small enough to hold in one's hand, and antimatter engines for 24/7 surveillance aircraft.

More cataclysmic possible uses include a new generation of super weapons -- either pure antimatter bombs or antimatter-triggered nuclear weapons; the former wouldn't emit radioactive fallout. Another possibility is antimatter- powered "electromagnetic pulse" weapons that could fry an enemy's electric power grid and communications networks, leaving him literally in the dark and unable to operate his society and armed forces.

Following an initial inquiry from The Chronicle this summer, the Air Force forbade its employees from publicly discussing the antimatter research program. Still, details on the program appear in numerous Air Force documents distributed over the Internet prior to the ban.
    (But) I agree with them (that) we're just not at the point where we need to be doing any public interviews."

Air Force spokesman Douglas Karas at the Pentagon also declined to comment last week.
    No way no how dat d US military just let BM live his lyf in peace after retiremnt....hek, we/SZ specul8 dat SHIELD & othr private & govt military groups/organistn as well as othr military grps/orgns frm othr nations tried several tyms 2 tk down BM without President Kennedy's knowledge.

Dis wud b a perfect opprtunity 2 establish history btwn BM & Nick Fury, Jimmy Woo, Avngrs 1959, Agnts of Atlas, 1st Line, Winter Guard (an earlier team), a China supateam frm d 60's, Invadrs(post-WW2), etc centred around d COLD WAR.
    D story wud run in parallel 2 d BM origin expnding on othr events dat occurrd whn BM was in d military, whn he acquird his pwrs/bcam a supahero b4 & after BM's 'retiremnt'.

Even up2 now der is no fathomable reason as 2 y d US gvt, private militry cmpanies & villainous science orgns will nt b after capturing BM 2 harness his pwrs & replic8 his abilities after all antimatta is d "most expensv material on earth" in d real wrld...so it isnt a stretch 4 antimatta (& "positronium-neutronium alloys" & such combo elemnts cre8d by BM) 2 b amongst d top 5 most expensv materials/substances on earth in d MU & on extreme 'demnd' mostly 4 nefarious purposes by mostly d wrng people (or beings) in d MU.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    U fellas wnt blv wat we/SZ just found out...UNITED STATES AIR FORCE hv bn researching on antimatta weaponry since d Cold War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

Air Force pursuing antimatter weapons / Program was touted publicly, then came official gag order
    Keay Davidson, Chronicle Science Writer
    Published 4:00 am, Monday, October 4, 2004
    http://www.sfgate.com/science/articl...am-2689674.php

No way no how dat d US military just let BM live his lyf in peace after retiremnt....hek, we/SZ specul8 dat SHIELD & othr private & govt military groups/organistn as well as othr military grps/orgns frm othr nations tried several tyms 2 tk down BM without President Kennedy's knowledge.

Dis wud b a perfect opprtunity 2 establish history btwn BM & Nick Fury, Jimmy Woo, Avngrs 1959, Agnts of Atlas, 1st Line, Winter Guard (an earlier team), a China supateam frm d 60's, Invadrs(post-WW2), etc centred around d COLD WAR.
    D story wud run in parallel 2 d BM origin expnding on othr events dat occurrd whn BM was in d military, whn he acquird his pwrs/bcam a supahero b4 & after BM's 'retiremnt'.

Even up2 now der is no fathomable reason as 2 y d US gvt, private militry cmpanies & villainous science orgns will nt b after capturing BM 2 harness his pwrs & replic8 his abilities after all antimatta is d "most expensv material on earth" in d real wrld...so it isnt a stretch 4 antimatta (& "positronium-neutronium alloys" & such combo elemnts cre8d by BM) 2 b amongst d top 5 most expensv materials/substances on earth in d MU & on extreme 'demnd' mostly 4 nefarious purposes by mostly d wrng people (or beings) in d MU.

Thoughts?
    As always, the SilverZeal collective keep blessing this thread with insightful topics.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    The fact that the Blade TV series continued the trend of making Blade a background character in his own gig confirmed my suspicions that Goyer was down with the whole depowering/emasculation thing that seems to come into play when it's felt that certain characters have to be artificially "limited" for no other reason than to cater to certain assumed insecurities on the part of certain segments of the audience.

The fact that the first two Blade movies were wildly succesful across all viewing demographics (regardless of ethnicity) was obviously lost on Goyer and then Marc Guggenheim who decided to turn Eric Brook's bi-racial on a whim.
    Sir...good sir...

I've said it so many times - i do not live my life as a Beta in real life so why in the hell would i *pay money* for media featuring a fantasy lead i identify with who is satisfied with being in the background?

I am not enamored with the "Steve Rogers Formula".
    Last edited by Customizer; 04-12-2014 at 11:58 PM.

What would people say are the best stories involving the characters prior to coming together.